I finally had my lounge units survey

Associate
The display cabinet with glass panels wouldn't fit, only one with solid doors, and originally I wanted a corner unit where the TV sockets are, but was told they couldn't do that as the side panels that are needed for the structure would block access to the sockets.

So the new plan is just this for a little over £1800 with existing customer discount:

vxw70TB.jpg

I no longer have to pay to get the switch for the outdoor light moved either, I was quoted £225 just to get it moved around the corner, but obviously waited for the survey to find out if the display cabinet would have fit.

The original £2800 design was this, though they said that with their current prices it would have been £2600:

aFiXf3g.jpg

Its in Hammonds Harpsden range, and their new French Gray colour (original design in Ivory). They bought the painted colour samples and those two colours were my favourites.

Associate
OP
They're actually wardrobe units normally and I can't get the same design or colour from IKEA.

It would also likely still cost half as much for similar quality free standing ones from IKEA or such.

Also I mainly wanted the radiator covering, so it's at least that. Pretty sure this is cheaper than changing the radiator to underfloor or skirted heating.

Soldato
why dont you just remove the radiator since it's gonna be useless with all those kitchen unit in front of it now ?
why are they all different size/widths ? Are you serious is this an elaborate troll ?

Associate
OP
why dont you just remove the radiator since it's gonna be useless with all those kitchen unit in front of it now ?
why are they all different size/widths ? Are you serious is this an elaborate troll ?

Those are the sizes they needed to use to fit the space? The two on the left and right are the same size, and the three in the middle are the same as well, otherwise they wouldn't be able to fit it around the radiator.

Radiator covers are a common thing, they still work and will have vents at the top.

Associate
OP
I don't get why people hate it so much, heres a similar thing just with wall shelves on the side:

zD7mVkR.jpg

Obviously renders aren't going to look great. I already thought I would like to get shelves on the walls instead of the cabinet then, but can have that done at a later date.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I don't quite understand, is this in the corner of your open plan kitchen so it matches your existing units? If not why would you want fitted kitchen units in your lounge?
Struggling with this too. I cannot imagine why anyone would want this.

Soldato
Those are the sizes they needed to use to fit the space? The two on the left and right are the same size, and the three in the middle are the same as well, otherwise they wouldn't be able to fit it around the radiator.

That kind of makes it even more baffling then as i'd have expected they'd be custom sized units rather than just off the shelf ones. I thought that was the benefit.

Have you considered just getting a joiner round? I'm sure they could knock together a full sized frame and then you'd have the option of shelves etc which would break it up a little and look less like some kitchen units.

Soldato
I don't get why people hate it so much, heres a similar thing just with wall shelves on the side:

Obviously renders aren't going to look great. I already thought I would like to get shelves on the walls instead of the cabinet then, but can have that done at a later date.

Because those don't look like full height kitchen units, they also integrate with the false wall for the TV.

Soldato
Its the same range I'm getting just in a different colour, except there's a window in the middle of mine.

Ah, just look much different sizes. Yours look tall and narrow like a kitchen unit, they look square which gives the effect of being much lower down.

Perhaps yours with some shelves would look better, but from the render alone it looks very poor. As i mentioned it also looks a terrible render. I've used free design tools on the likes of Ikea/DIY kitchens which produce a better image than that, it doesn't help when they're selling a premium priced product.

Associate
OP
Ah, just look much different sizes. Yours look tall and narrow like a kitchen unit, they look square which gives the effect of being much lower down.

Perhaps yours with some shelves would look better, but from the render alone it looks very poor. As i mentioned it also looks a terrible render. I've used free design tools on the likes of Ikea/DIY kitchens which produce a better image than that, it doesn't help when they're selling a premium priced product.

This is what they normally look like, except I cant fit any cabinets on top of mine:

ZOyFb4I.jpg

So mine are just the bottom units without the cabinets on top. Shelving can be added later.

It was an option of choosing the colour and whether or not I wanted the inlaid beam which I did as I prefer it.

They gave me a design with a single cabinet instead of the double to see what it would look like and it was tremendously bad with only a single cabinet.

Soldato
It probably helps that they look more integrated i suppose. Especially in a huge room that size. It's like trying to shove a chandelier into a small box room. Just because something looks good in one situation doesn't guarantee it works everywhere. As long as you're happy with how it looks though that's all that matters

Back
Top Bottom