I finally had my lounge units survey

Associate
OP
I think what folk are saying @BallistixOnZ490 is that whilst £1800 is certainly a good price for fitted furniture, it isn't good value for what is essentially some flat packed cupboards attached to your wall. Couple that with most folk having left fitted wardrobes for the living room in such a tiny modern house as it makes things inflexible, and you have left 'style' and 'value' boxes unticked.

People can think what they want, so what?

On the topic of it being inflexible, changing the layout would need moving the TV area sockets and radiator. This plan is being built with the default house plan's furniture placement in mind - TV goes in the left corner next to the radiator and a sofa opposite, then a second sofa or desk on the far right wall.

I would say that fitted furniture is more important in such a small house for maximizing storage, even these units are going to offer more internal space than free standing ones, and I will add floating shelves as an extra later as I can wait to see how I want to mount the TV first, and I need more kitchen shelves and interiors for the inbuilt cupboards too.

If you have a small house with no garage or shed, then that makes maximizing storage with fitted furniture even more worthwhile imo.

Soldato
People can think what they want, so what?

On the topic of it being inflexible, changing the layout would need moving the TV area sockets and radiator. This plan is being built with the default house plan's furniture placement in mind - TV goes in the left corner next to the radiator and a sofa opposite, then a second sofa or desk on the far right wall.

I would say that fitted furniture is more important in such a small house for maximizing storage, even these units are going to offer more internal space than free standing ones, and I will add floating shelves as an extra later as I can wait to see how I want to mount the TV first, and I need more kitchen shelves and interiors for the inbuilt cupboards too.

If you have a small house with no garage or shed, then that makes maximizing storage with fitted furniture even more worthwhile imo.
Good point. I just realised I have two fitted cupboards in my house. They were made by a joiner though, and fitted either side of a chimney breast.

Can you re-share the picture of the room? I think it'd put it into context as right now we just see an odd corner and a window.

Associate
OP
NiByBYi.jpg

I mean it shows nothing different to what the renders already showed.

Hammond's cable pass throughs wouldn't fit the bottom frame to at least be able to get ethernet in and USB out so I found these 50mm ones that are the same colour as the handles for the units:

Qy4tmeC.jpg.png

One will go on the leftmost part on the frame under the door, the other inside just behind it on the base of the cabinet to allow ethernet and USB cables to pass through.

There will be a large cable pass through in the middle of the unit on the top, and should be enough space on either side for the 240mm vents I ordered that can fit normal PC fans. If they dont fit horizontally then they can go vertically, but the left and right units are 684mm wide, so 2x240 = 480 should be fine and the middle cable pass through that Hammonds put in is about 10cm for normal plugs to be able to pass through.

4 plugs inside, 1 for the PC, 1 for monitor, 1 for a powered USB hub, last one for anything else without needing extensions, and TV and phone sockets. With Steam OS I should just need to extend my Steam Controller receiver out of the top hole and then everything should stream via my Cat 7 gigabit cables I already got just crudely running to where both PCs are.

Also found 4 x 120mm Uphere USB rainbow fans for the vents, so theres also some lighting inside and they were only £2 more per pair than plain black ones.

Dont think you're gonna get such a fancy gaming cupboard from Ikea, Hammonds have said its no problem for their fitters to add my vents and grommets during installation.

Caporegime
would look better with plain flat doors and no handles....

a row of the same furniture just looks weird and repetitive

Needs cushioned mat things you can get for furniture to make them like seats, not some kitchen counter

Associate
OP
would look better with plain flat doors and no handles....

a row of the same furniture just looks weird and repetitive

If you prefer that you can get their plain flat handleless range by all means.

I picked the range and colour I liked, no one has to get the same thing if they don't like it.

Would you like some kitchen to go with your kitchen?

It looks like a utility room rather than a living room.

Shaker units in the lounge are super common, even both Ikea and Wayfair make shaker media cabinets?

Associate
OP
they are fitted though, how you going to ever sell the house in the future lol

Who said I plan on selling the house?

Even if I do selling a house nowadays isn't hard, so much demand.

It would actually be super easy to upsell a ventilated PC / console cabinet with all the extra storage next to it in such a tiny house. Its actually likely to add more value as its something you can't even get in the uk - the ventilation units that can hold PC fans I'm having to actually import from the US as media cabinet cooling doesn't exist nor is sold here.

Ikea media unit, it looks fine as long as you are happy with the single colour option, it fits your space amd hopefully the fittings aren't as trashy as everything in their showroom:

MSRd0yn.jpg

Given such furnitures popularity, I don't see what would make it hard to sell, the buyer could simply remove it if they didn't want it, but there are plenty of buyers that would love to have it.

I guess its simply more a case that most people simply have never seen proper furniture or a media unit before. The only problem here was that the walls on either side of my window were too narrow for any full height units, but that will be remedied later with floating shelves, making sure that what I get will fit around whichever T.V I get so need to have everything set up first before getting floating shelves added.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you prefer that you can get their plain flat handleless range by all means.

I picked the range and colour I liked, no one has to get the same thing if they don't like it.

Shaker units in the lounge are super common, even both Ikea and Wayfair make shaker media cabinets?

Never seen kitchen shaker units in a living room before. I have these exact units in my kitchen and utility room.

Associate
OP
Never seen kitchen shaker units in a living room before. I have these exact units in my kitchen and utility room.

Just because you've never seen them doesn't make them common.

'Shaker' =/= 'Kitchen', they are more primarily used for Bedroom furniture, and this stuff I'm getting was my favourite range that I wanted for a long time in my lounge.

Pretty sure even Wayfair have shaker style lounge cabinets, I'll have a look.

In fact this range I'm getting is not even available in their Kitchen range, its Bedroom, Office and Lounge.

And here we are https://secure.img.wfcdn.com/lf/maxsquare/hash/36984/22805950/1/TV-Stand-DBHC2750.jpg

Google image search for 'Shaker style TV unit', there's countless ones available as freestanding units too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just because you've never seen them doesn't make them common.

'Shaker' =/= 'Kitchen', they are more primarily used for Bedroom furniture, and this stuff I'm getting was my favourite range that I wanted for a long time in my lounge.

Pretty sure even Wayfair have shaker style lounge cabinets, I'll have a look.

In fact this range I'm getting is not even available in their Kitchen range, its Bedroom, Office and Lounge.

They are most certainly not primarily used for bedroom furniture and pretty uncommon to find anywhere other than a kitchen. I suggest you Google shaker units and see for yourself they are not really used in anywhere other than kitchens.

The fact is, the majority of people think it doesnt look very good. Your opinion is the minority which is fine as long as you acknowledge you have a bit of weird taste for living room furniture hehe.

Soldato
They are most certainly not primarily used for bedroom furniture and pretty uncommon to find anywhere other than a kitchen. I suggest you Google shaker units and see for yourself they are not really used in anywhere other than kitchens.

The fact is, the majority of people think it doesnt look very good. Your opinion is the minority which is fine as long as you acknowledge you have a bit of weird taste for living room furniture hehe.

To be fair he doesn't need to acknowledge anything, it's his house and his taste but he can certainly be more civil about the way he responds to people.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Im with other tbh OP, may as well removed the rad as it's not going to serve any purpose at all boxed in like that.
I see nothing "bespoke" about what this company has offerred tbh, it's a flat row of units :/

Get some BnQ Deluxe carcasses (easy engouh to get a trade acc or a constant kitchen disocunt haha) level them up and fit flat to wall.
Whack on a top and whichever kitchen doors ye fancy, Id deffo go handle less and go with soft close push for open/close - non gloss to prevent constant finger prints.

Using a nice dark Wooden worktop would fit with some of your pics and give you the ability to add the tall unit/dispaly cabinet.
Is there another light switch linked the one thats gonna be blocked? If so I'd just put the unit over the top in all honesty.

Ye'd be looking at far less cost wise

We did our own kitchen units, saved that much I ended up with granite worktops on top :D

Back
Top Bottom