I genuinely think our devices listen to us

Soldato
It's happened to us all the time - we've talked about something, and a few hours later we're getting adverts related to it.

I've always just put it down to advanced algorithms that look at search history etc to build a report around you, and offer very good targeted advertising.

This changed today, however, when my girlfriend and I were for dinner. During dinner, I asked her if she could play any game right now, what it would be, and her response was Two Point Hospital. After discussing various games, conversation moves on and that was that

At the time, her phone was on the table, but I didn't think anything of it.

She's just gone on her phone after getting home, and low and behold:

Has anyone got an alternative explanation to it? Coincidence? My issue is, it's happened too many times to be just coincidence.

Perhaps we could come up with a test?

Associate
Leave a foreign language program playing beside your phone for a few hours. Perhaps a tech review site or something which mentions things you can buy. See if the ads start appearing in that language. :p

Man of Honour
She probably remembered it because she recently saw something related to it, hence the advert.

That being said if I didn’t have rubbish short term memory I’d be convinced my devices are listening to me. Some of the adverts I get are a bit too specific! I tend to put it down to me not remembering googling something or something related to the thing.

That being said, I don’t understand people who cover their webcams. I know Zuckerberg does it but I think it’s rediculous. I thought it was an older people thing before I worked at a university.

Last edited:
Soldato
The voices in the wall!

And I see dead people,

All the time!

:p

Having said that. Yes! Doesn't surprise me at all!

"Millennials" (And to be fair, rather earlier generations too) seem to be perfectly happy now to drift into dystopias that would have made George Orwell's whiskers curl up into a little ball! :eek:

I have only recently got a "Smartphone", but as yet I haven't figured out to get rid of all the crap!

There are two whole screens worth of stuff I dont really want but dont really know what I can safely get rid of??

:(

Soldato
It's happened to me many times.

The one that really creeped me out was when I was playing pool with a friend and discussed buying a new cue - never searched for this on my phone once, just verbally discussing it.

Later that day, I get an advert on Facebook for a local cuemaker.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well with facebook installed what do you expect ? They exist for one reason making money from anyone they can, anyhow they can and hide behind "we are just a tech company"

I am flabbergasted at the lack of uprising against all of the so called tech companies. Life was better with proper forums.

Soldato
Yeah they're probably listening... So what? They'll soon get bored :D

Best way to get rid of this nonsense is to screw it up.

If enough people, as a matter of routine, Always included stuff like,

Sarin/Uranium/Jihad/whatever. in all and every posting and e-mail this sort of snooping would rapidly become worthless.

Now, of course, there would be a downside to this!

One just has to think about which downside is going to be worse in the long term!

And no, it is not an easy choice!

:(

Soldato
I'm pretty much certain this is the case, it was just the other day whilst having a conversation and something came up that we wernt sure of and the obvious next step was "google it!" I think I typed about 4 letters into it and it had already auto predicted exactly what I wanted to ask, pretty obscure question if i remember correctly.
Mega convenient if this is the case, albeit quite concerning!

Soldato
I never have this issue but then I don't have a Facebook acount or anything else.

Want a fix? Remove Facebook and delete your account :)

Associate
That being said, I don’t understand people who cover their webcams. I know Zuckerberg does it but I think it’s rediculous. I thought it was an older people thing before I worked at a university.
My view is this in regards to system security. When people in the know who build these systems and devices tell you to do a certain thing, or even more telling, they do a thing themselves, one should really take note. That doesn't mean blindly copy or follow every last bit of advice, but do be aware of who is saying and doing what and be aware of the potential reasons why.

How many exploits come to light that have been unpatched for years? How many have we seen recently that allow listening in on a device? Are there others out there that we don't know about? Almost certainly. Is there someone out there that does know about these other exploits with the means and desire to use them? Humans will be humans.

I doubt that the average user is the target of something like this, however we just don't know so it pays to er on the side of caution.

Just my opinion on the matter. I don't cover my webcams or mics but I don't think that someone like Zuckerberg is unjustified in doing so.

Soldato
Your phones do listen.

Its also know Google has an algorithm that if you went fresh onto YouTube, they would know pretty much for certain who you were within 5 video clicks.

I had this at work once and within a few minutes Amazon ads were up showing me exactly what I had been looking at the night before.

I am considering going mobile phone free next year or at least trying yo dig out a T9 keypad one. Having said that there are a few privacy supporting phones coming out soon. Think one is Prism or something. If cost is £400 I may get

Back
Top Bottom