I Got It! New Car Time

Soldato
Yes I am now an official member of the OcUK hairdresser.. sorry MX-5 owners club.

Well I've actually had it since yesterday, but I've been having too much fun to post pics.

I can't tell you how amazing this car is to drive, I thought my Focus handled well but this is just something else! Plus it feels a hell of a lot faster than it is, which means my licence should be a little bit safer.

I did leave it a bit late for pics as the light was going, so I put the lights on to be arty.... not chavy the fogs went off straight after. :p

Front.jpg

Front2.jpg

Rear.jpg

Side.jpg

Before I get a roasting for the roof being up it was only for the pics, it will be staying down I promise.

Anyway Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me, and you can be sure that I'll keep asking for more.

Cheers
Steve

Edit. It's a 1.8iS btw, forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Looks good, get some f1's on the back though first outing in the wet with mine made me change my rears!

They're goodyear something, can't remember what. Pressures were a bit off, but I haven't exactly been pushing it yet.

I'm intending to take full advantage of the bank holiday tomorrow and give her a nice clean down. But I'm not too sure on how to treat the soft top. I'm going to pop into town and see what they have, is there any particular product you would recommend to restore the hood?

Cheers saitrix, I know you are after one of these and my advice to you is buy one as soon as you can! :D

Soldato
Problem is insurance companies don't take so kindly to an 18 year old with 0NCB (will have 1 at end of summer). May just be able to afford one then, but i am doubting it unfortunately.

Now you just need Freefaller to work on you slowly making you get a turbo kit.

Soldato
OP
saitrix said:
Problem is insurance companies don't take so kindly to an 18 year old with 0NCB (will have 1 at end of summer). May just be able to afford one then, but i am doubting it unfortunately.

Now you just need Freefaller to work on you slowly making you get a turbo kit.

Lol, no turbo kit just yet.

Insurance is a pain. But like you I have no NCB, although being a year older and having a years driving experience did bring the quotes down a fair bit from last year.

The previous owner was very cruel and left a MX5 Parts catalogue in the car, just been going through it and now have to hide the credit card. :o

Caporegime
cleanbluesky said:
I'd like a turbo kit for my 5, but there is no way in heaven I would do such a huge mod to it for extra BHP

Imho its worth it if you plan on keeping the car and you actually have a sound MX5 in the first place, my 99 1.8is is the perfect example of this, its a great car still worth a fair amount and has only done 38k with FSH, i will be adding a turbo / supercharger at some point its only a matter of time ;)

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Imho its worth it if you plan on keeping the car and you actually have a sound MX5 in the first place, my 99 1.8is is the perfect example of this, its a great car still worth a fair amount and has only done 38k with FSH, i will be adding a turbo / supercharger at some point its only a matter of time ;)

Think of it this way...

How much will the turbo cost, how much would you get in return if you sold the car?

I am slightly regretting putting £500 of ICE in my car, even if I do get a solid sound - if only because it will be a pain to trasnfer and couldn't be re-couped if I sold it

Soldato
Cost is approx £2k. Plus fitting if you don't have the skills/tools to do it yourself.

Wether it is worth it or not depends on what you are after.

For 2k I couldn't sell mine and buy an S2000/Boxter/Z4. The insurance on the modded 5 is also cheaper. They are supposed to be a lot of fun TC/SC'd I am supposed to be getting a ride in a SC one soon.

It also means you will have a car you can suprise unsuspecting scooby owners with. If that's your bag anyway.

Soldato
Yes, it does slightly increase wear and tear on the engine but it all depends on how well you care for it, or how far you push your luck.

At the end of the day, you can get a 3 month warranted engine from a breakers for 250 quid, so if you do blow it apart, it doesn't cost the earth to fix :)

Soldato
Also remeber in the states, Mazda ship a turbo charged 176bhp model in the states (MK2 / MK2.5). Obviously there were the stock TC'd MK1's as well.

These engines can more than withstand BHP's upto 200bhp and beyond. It isant until people start hitting 250+ they start modifing the internals. AFAIK the only real reliabillity issue with the MK1's was the manifold cracking, but that was because it was a BBR one that was rubbish. Also I think the HKS turbo kits with the stainless manifolds suffer the same problem.

From what I have heard relibablity of cars running around 200bhp is still excellent. However it is still somthing to be considerd.

Caporegime
cleanbluesky said:
Think of it this way...

How much will the turbo cost, how much would you get in return if you sold the car?

Cost of resale is only an issue if you don't plan on keeping the car and enjoying it, i have no problem blowing money on my 5 cause i plan on keeping it and enjoying the time and money i have put into the car, i admit adding a turbo is a huge investment but i think its worthwhile, as stated you can strip it off and sell it seperate, engines are good for 240 - 250bhp without internal mods beyond this its serious money spending time :(

Back
Top Bottom