1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have just been scammed out of s10+.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by GoRedwings19, 11 Oct 2019.

1. james.miller

Capodecina

Dual sim?

2. robj20

Capodecina

Yes that will be it then. I'm guessing IMEI is like a mobiles MAC address.

3. tom_e

Man of Honour

I'd be very surprised if they pay out as the phone was willingly handed over.

4. GoRedwings19

Hitman

I don't know if it differs but I expect other network providers would be more or less similar. Here is the process that three network used before they issued a block for me. I had to confirm my name, address and phone number.

Then asked me the last time I used the sim card in the phone, when was the last time I topped up, how I topped up (shop, online etc) and how much I topped it up for.

They asked me what phone it was (brand and model) and then lastly they asked me what the IMEI number was I guess to make sure it was the right phone for the IMEI number. Only then did the gentleman issue the block.

I guess for them to unblock an IMEI it would be same the same steps. So I think it would be really difficult for someone to randomly IMEI block you. While a scammer, thief, someone found a lost phone possibly know your name, address and phone number the other details are much harder to obtain I would of guessed.

While I didn;t have the IMEI number or the box to find out what it was because it is an Android phone the IMEI can be obtained and tracked (if it has not been factory resetted) by google Find my phone app. There you can remote erase, get it to ring even when on silent and pin lock it. It will also be trackable if location is turned on via wifi or mobile data.

If it has been factory reset then it will still show the IMEI number regardless.

Even though a block has been issued and now the phone is practically a brick. It is still usable as soon as it leaves the UK. Apparently there is a big demand for these in China and India because as soon as it leaves British airspace they IMEI lock is rendered void by the network carrier.

I am sure most of the above apply to iphone users as well.

5. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Surely that's not correct. You phrase that like it gets reset by leaving the UK. I'd be reasonably sure, you come back into the country and the block would still be there, it just does not block foreign networks is all? I doubt anything is voided surely?

6. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

I looked into it a while back so it may have changed, but IMEIs seem to be blocked across networks in multiple counties. So if you block it in the UK, it'll be blocked in other countries, but not all.

7. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Okay, but surely it's not voided by taking it out of the country, letting you bring it back in and use it? That was the point.

8. Infiniteey

Gangster

Blows my mind that you didn't count the money. Expensive lesson learnt, and at least you didn't get hurt.

9. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

I don't think so, once it's on the list, it's not coming off.

10. GoRedwings19

Hitman

• You are all quite right i phrased it wrong once it leaves the country the IMEI block is still there but you can use the phone in other countries like china or india but if you were to return to the UK the IMEI block will still operate.

11. Bounce

Wise Guy

Pretty sure he cant claim on Insurance, its effectively sold.

12. warren_1979

Mobster

It will probably end up broken down for parts.

13. copycatuk

Hitman

This or it will be shipped abroad. Screens themselves for newer Samsung models are quite expensive.