I hope Overclockers get this in stock...

Soldato
Pointless and gimmicky, passive cooling is a myth all it does is make something else provide the active cooling. Back when you would have an 80286 CPU providing hardly any heat, no HDD/optical/etc the system was still cooled by the PSU fan, as that became ineffective we started getting bigger and bigger CPU heatsink/fan units until eventually we needed case fans too and these days its not uncommon to see intake+extract case fans.

All this thing will do is stockpile heat inside the case, you will still be reliant on the case fan to get rid of it, assuming this costs what I expect it to due to its size and material value it would be better just to buy a "silent" cooler, you would prob get better performance too, or buy a sealed water unit and replace the case fan with it.

Soldato
Pointless and gimmicky, passive cooling is a myth all it does is make something else provide the active cooling.

I disagree; it is possible. An i3 with a passive cooler and that InWIN chassis would work fine as a completely silent system. Couple that with a fanless power supply and you would have a completely passively cooled computer :)

Soldato
I had a passively cooled system back in 2005. Admittedly it was watercooled, including the PSU, and I was using a Ford Sierra radiator bolted to the desk, but still!

Soldato
I disagree; it is possible. An i3 with a passive cooler and that InWIN chassis would work fine as a completely silent system. Couple that with a fanless power supply and you would have a completely passively cooled computer :)

Chances are it would overheat under high use though. Don't get me wrong you can do it with low power CPU's like Atom/Hudson that are designed for it but with a regular modern CPU its a bit of a non starter.

I had a passively cooled system back in 2005. Admittedly it was watercooled, including the PSU, and I was using a Ford Sierra radiator bolted to the desk, but still!

Ok fine if you have a gigantic external heat exchange setup and a pump pumping coolant around the system (which ironically is what I have too lol) then it can be done :p but doing it with a modern computer without resorting to extreme tactics is just a no go.

Soldato
Besides the point, but you have to love a hardware preview that opens with "Unofficial description: LOOK AT THIS FREAKING MONSTER HEATSINK!" and ends with "I admire those who still build their own PCs. Respect"...

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom