I just passed my mod 2. Now, what do I buy?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I don't know about reliabilty/running costs of a Monster but my mates that have 911's & the like throw buckets of money at them.
I'd have thought the Monster would have been much cheaper to run though & more reliable.

Soldato
OP
I don't know about reliabilty/running costs of a Monster but my mates that have 911's & the like throw buckets of money at them.
I'd have thought the Monster would have been much cheaper to run though & more reliable.

Perhaps - I'll stick it on the list :) Looking at mcn, they've made a few different engine sizes over the years (variants of 600, 800 and 1000), any in particular that are good/bad?

Associate
I am gonna put something in the mix, how about a KTM950 Supermoto, lots of good bits, good engine, can be lowered for a shorter person.
Good bikes I had the 640 version, I can only imagine how good the V-Twin would be.

Associate
I currently have a Bandit 650.
I tested the Street Triple R last week, along with the Daytona, from a commuting standpoint.

I would agree that the Street is not the best on the motorway in terms of wind, but personally I would be able to deal with it because it is such an amazing bike, and will probably buy one.

It isn't that bad up to 80, anything above that is not great, but will you really be doing 80+ on the motorway around London at rush hour? (The bike I tested had the fly screen and visor, not sure how much that helped)

Soldato
When I was looking for a winter bike I test rode the newer ER6-f, really good bike, but I rode a Versys straight after and it was much the better bike.

It handled much better, tips into corners so nice, way more practical, and even through its down on power to the er6 it felt more powerful due to the delivery. But the looks are marmite, personally I like them.

Soldato
OP
So, I was out on the F800R yesterday. Some thoughts.

I originally wanted to take out an F800S or an ST, as I realise that a naked bike isn't going to be the easiest thing to live with on a day-to-day basis. My nearest BMW dealer (Park Lane, London) didn't have any of those to test, but offered me the R instead. I accepted on the basis that (a) it'd be fun and (b) it has a lot in common with the S/ST. In fact, the F800R they had was the Chris Pfeiffer edition, in BMW race colours and lots of other nice things, including an Akrapovic can. Here's BMW's page about it - it's quite a bit more cash than the regular R, but you get a lot more as standard, and it's looks amazing: http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/motorcycles/urban/bmw-f-800-r-chris-pfeiffer-edition/

Initial impressions were mixed. First, the positive:
  • The engine sound is really good, with a nice deep rumble. The power delivery is really smooth from about 3k to the redline at 8.5k. The burble on the overrun really puts a smile on your face, it sounds amazing.
  • The controls were fairly conventional (I'd been warned about weird BMW layouts) and only needed a delicate touch: there were times when I just nudged the indicator and had to look down to check that it in fact was on. The dash is really easy to read, and the extras (average fuel consumption, temperature, digital fuel gauge etc.) were a nice touch.
  • It felt very manoeuvrable and rather lightweight - I had no problems moving the bike around by hand and it's effortless to get it to do what you want in the corners.
  • The brakes are amazing.
  • It's reasonably economical. Despite being heavy on the throttle, I got 53mpg over 100 miles.
  • I actually really like how it looks.

Right, now the not-so-positives:

• It's not that comfortable. The seat height was about right for me (I'm 5'9) but the pegs were too high, leaving me in quite a cramped position. On the A3, I was stretching my legs out every couple of miles just to get some blood back into them.
  • The seat also wasn't that comfy and at the end of the day I had a little soreness. I was also getting strange aches in my left foot (?) and my right hand as the day went on - I suspect the grips are a little thinner than what I'm used to, so I'd have to adjust how I hold them if I were to run this longer-term.
  • In agreement with a lot of the reviews about the F800, it is snatchy round town. This is probably partly a result of the gearing being quite tall - 1st gear is actually a useable gear, rather than something to just get you moving off the line. The downside is that it complained doing 30mph in 3rd @3krpm and felt a lot more comfortable in 2nd. Contrast with the CBF1000 which would happily do 20mph in 6th. If you're battling through traffic, you've got to concentrate a lot more on gear choice and use of the clutch, otherwise you end up in a horrible place where the engine lurches between being fuelled and not being fuelled. With practice, I could learn to live with that, but it doesn't make it easy.
  • Like all naked bikes, it's really not good on the motorway. Obviously, this will probably be better on the S/ST
  • The power delivery on the engine is perhaps too flat across the rev range. I know I put smoothness down as a positive point, but the downside is that you get a single engine characteristic. This is a little difficult to explain, but on the Hondas, you felt that you had a choice between 2 or 3 different charactaristics, depending on what section of the rev range you wanted to be in. For example, on the Hornet, you had a choice between sedate (3-6k), quick (6-10k) or insane (10-13k). On the F800, you get the same amount of shove at 4k as you do at 8k. I remember getting it onto the motorway and opening it up in 3rd from about 40mph, and then expecting to get an extra kick as the revs climbed. Instead, I glanced down and was surprised to see myself at 8k already and needing to change up. It's very predictable, but there's no "fun" kick to the engine - it's all very grown up and simple. That was probably awfully explained but I hope people can understand what I mean.

So, in summary, I liked it, but I want to ride an ST. I wouldn't buy an R, because I couldn't live with it. If I wanted a naked bike, I think I'd have more fun on a Hornet (which is also a lot cheaper).

Given that I'm actually looking for a sports tourer type thing, I'm expecting some of the negatives to be reversed on the ST (like comfort), but I really don't think the engine's going to beat what you get on the CBF1000.

So, up next, the ST. I'll probably hitch a lift down to Vines in Guildford and take it round the back roads there. Perhaps next weekend. If not, I'll try and get either the S3 or the Fazer out from Metropolis.

Associate
Thanks for that growse, useful and backs up what I've read about that engine. I know exactly what you mean about different characteristics at different rev ranges. The SV was completely different at 8k onwards :D. What you describe does sound a tad boring. Go and get a quote on a Sprint please!

Soldato
OP
You mean the Triumph Sprint ST? Hadn't really considered it, but it seems worth a shot over the S3. Might take that out instead. If I've got time, I'll take both :D

Soldato
OP
Quick update:

Planned on getting a longer stint on the CBF1000 this morning. Had it all booked in for yesterday and then had to move it to today. Went down to find the dealer's doing a 'turn up and test anything in hour-long slots' day, so unfortunately they couldn't give me a couple of hours on the 1000.

I went out for just under an hour on mixed roads and felt really comfortable. There was a small point where my left foot went to sleep (?), but I think I was just sitting slightly skew. All in all was very nice, very smooth. That test bike had 26,000 miles on it, so was good to see that relatively high milage examples can still feel good.

The flip side of the open day was that when I got back, I had some time to kill. They asked me if there was anything else I wanted to take out for an hour. They helpfully suggested 'The Fireblade's free if you want a go on that?'. I said 'Yes please'.

Some thoughts on the CB1000RR:

Holy ****!

That is all.

Soldato
I think there is an article on the CBF1000 in the latest Ride magazine, headline is something like "isn't as boring as it looks" which kind of goes against the other magazine reviews I've read. Thought I'd mention it if you've still got it in mind, it might enthuse you to make a decision and give you some hints and tips on what to look for if you're buying one.

Soldato
OP
Minor bumpage, just rode the F800ST. Brief thoughts:

Pros:
  • Really good riding position
  • Super stable on the motorway, at pretty much any speed. Probably more stable than the CBF1000
  • Cheap(er) to insure
  • Epic brakes
  • Decent amount of equipment
  • Although it's the same engine as the R, it seems to make a bit more sense on this. It's not as powerful as the Honda, but the gearing and riding position means you can have a lot of fun. As the R, there's no magic kick about 6k, but it does make an amazing noise once you get near the redline.
  • Feels very manouverable
  • Belt drive (no chain maintenance needed)
  • Fairly frugal - I did 50mpg over 60 miles and 2 hours.

Cons:
  • Expensive. Second hand market starts at £5k, with a bit more than that for a decent one
  • I could never live with the seat. I had the regular seat hight, which wasn't a problem, but after 30 mins I had quite severe aches in my legs and feet, and shortly after they just went numb. I'm 95% sure it's the seat being the wrong shape/too hard rather than anything else. I hear there's gel ones, but if I bought the bike, it'd be entirely a gamble on getting a seat that's comfortable. I also think that my previous comfort issues on the R were less about peg height and more a combination of peg height, bar height and seat hardness.
  • It's not as arm-wrenchingly powerful as other bikes.
  • The bike I had (brand new, 5 miles on the clock) clunked a lot. Shifting gear was a "major event" and there was a distinctive rattling in neutral. Could have just been the bike I had, could be symptomatic of a rubbish gearbox.

I'm totally torn. Aside from the stupid seat and gearbox, I really loved the ST, it's miles better than the R for what I need. It's so easy to ride and at the same time, quite a hoot to ride. On the way back, I pretty much never got above 3rd, hearing the engine roar up to 9krpm was quite addictive.

On the other hand, I could buy a CBF1000 tomorrow and be instantly comfortable with it. I couldn't do that with an ST. Shame I also couldn't insure the Honda until I move house. Boo :(

Soldato
I'd imagine the gear box was so clunky because it wasn't worn in yet, and the gears are still finding their natural mesh.
As for the rattle, it's a inline twin I think? That probably accounts for some of the rattle when in neutral. From my limited reading on twins that is lol, I've never actually ridden one yet.

Soldato
OP
I'd imagine the gear box was so clunky because it wasn't worn in yet, and the gears are still finding their natural mesh.
As for the rattle, it's a inline twin I think? That probably accounts for some of the rattle when in neutral. From my limited reading on twins that is lol, I've never actually ridden one yet.

The rattle was more the sound of a gear spinning and clipping another piece of metal. If I put it in neutral but with the clutch in, it was fine. Let the clutch out, and as the clutch engaged you could hear a repeated metallic knock sound, that was at about the right frequency of the engine revs.

Could be it needed settling in, could just be a clunky box.

Soldato
OP
Right, final update to this thread. I promise. Because:

I BOUGHT SOMETHING!!!!!!!

What I've actually gone and bought is an '08 BMW F800S in Red, with 5600 miles and a bunch of extras including: alarm, heated grips, abs, computer and white-lens indicators.

Managed to get a reasonable (for a dealer) trade-in price for the CBF125 and the price on the F800 was pretty reasonable, so all in all I think I got a good deal.

Here's the obligatory rubbish phone picture:

Next things to do are:
  • R&G bungs all round
  • Mount the autocom
  • Book an annual check at the nearest dealer (last one was 1500 miles and 13 months ago)
  • Ride it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How much did you get for the CBF if you dont mind me asking?

£1100. It had some scratches on the farings from where I dropped it back in november and 4000 miles on it. Could probably have gotten £1400 private, but didn't really want the hassle.

Holy massive pic batman!

Looks tidy though! good job! :)

Weird picture issue I seem to have. It resizes sensibly in FF here, but everyone else sees *huge*. No idea why. Resized it now.

Just going through the insurance market now. Unfortunately, I was going to insure with ebike, but reading round, they sound like the world's worst insurance company. Oh well, keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom