I made some things out of rubbish

Associate
OP
Thanks guys :)

im having a bit of trouble with ebay because im listing in the "art sculptures" category or "lighting: other" plus with a name like "robot metal dog sculpture" its not something many people actually search on. I need a shop window to put them in really. Having said that I have sold 2 dogs so far :D happy with that.

The little robots took around 2-3 hours each. The dogs im able to make in 1 hour and the rocket man took me ages, maybe 20 hours, I had to make an aluminium frame inside the mouse to mount the limbs too, then tuck in 2 x AA battery holder and all the wiring is going through the legs and arms.

Soldato
Love these and would happily spend money on something like this. The rocket man fella is screaming out to be made into some sort of desk lamp (see how well Lampster sold on Kickstarter).

Any build photos or a build thread?

Caporegime
omg someone..... one of you probably just bought all 3 of the little robots! :D

I'll have to make some more now, yes I can do a built thread in here I suppose.

If you're going to look at making a few beer tokens on the side, then perhaps get little plaques engraved with numbers, date made, name of model, etc. Go for exclusivity.

How much are you selling them for? They're fantastic.

Soldato
This might be the sort of thing you need to market through Facebook?

As you say, people won't necessarily search for them but if you can get some momentum on Shares through Facebook.

There's a group I'm a member of, Midlife Gamer, that I can imagine these would go down a storm in.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, now I know they will be well received i'll make more! :) I have some other ideas I havn't made yet.

The dogs are on for - £20
the little robots - £25 each
Rocket man £140

thats a lot because it took way longer to make.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions, now I know they will be well received i'll make more! :) I have some other ideas I havn't made yet.

The dogs are on for - £20
the little robots - £25 each
Rocket man £140

thats a lot because it took way longer to make.
Nice one. Defo need a build log though. I love watching folk do things I can’t!

Soldato
Generally threads like this disappoint... we often love our own creations more than they probably deserve.

However this thread has no disappointment whatsoever; those are genuinely impressive. Keep it up, I'm sure you could do quite well out of that kind of thing, because it's way more creative than some of the upcycled tat I've see on TV shows. And the prices some of that stuff goes for shocks me.

Soldato
im seriously impressed with them and personally think your selling yourself a bit short on the prices. I'm tempted for myself but have no where to place it unfortunately. Find the right shopfront and I've now doubt they will do very well, they beat the usual handmade guff you see on facebook (glitter painted wine glasses - seriously!!)

Back
Top Bottom