I made some things out of rubbish

Associate
'Ill have to make some more now, yes I can do a built thread in here I suppose.

These are fantastic, please do make some more! My little brother has always wanted a dog but can't due to a few circumstances, so that little guy is perfect, thank you! Shall look forward to receiving it.

Associate
OP
I hope the listings state batteries not included. Very good!

Ah but batteries ARE included! I am such a good seller!

Very impressive, you are obviously talented! What do you do for a living?

Thanks, small company im at makes ID cards, so a mix of computer stuff and card production. Nothing like this, but thats why I enjoy doing this stuff in my spare time.

These are fantastic, please do make some more! My little brother has always wanted a dog but can't due to a few circumstances, so that little guy is perfect, thank you! Shall look forward to receiving it.

Thank you! you bought my last one, i'll have to make more.

I am only getting the last image?

Images loading ok here..... i think?

Thank you all for the positive feedback here and basically buying everything. I was a little hesitant about posting here and getting a GD bashing but that hasn't happened, so thanks. I'll post up here when I have more stuff made :)

Soldato
They look great, if anything I'd say your prices are a bit low as I imagine it takes a long time to make / clean / list / ship.

Not sure if you've ever seen Money for nothing on BBC1 but there's a guy on there who does stuff like this and sells it for pretty good money: http://www.gizmobots.co.uk/

They always say that they have an electrician test everything though, not sure if that applies to low voltage LED lighting :confused:

You should make a store on Etsy, they have cheaper fee's than eBay and the buyers will pay a bit more. Not as big a market but its growing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you're making more of those robots I'd quite like one like the first one. :)

Sure, i'll post in here when I have new stuff made.

They look great, if anything I'd say your prices are a bit low as I imagine it takes a long time to make / clean / list / ship.

Not sure if you've ever seen Money for nothing on BBC1 but there's a guy on there who does stuff like this and sells it for pretty good money: http://www.gizmobots.co.uk/

They always say that they have an electrician test everything though, not sure if that applies to low voltage LED lighting :confused:

You should make a store on Etsy, they have cheaper fee's than eBay and the buyers will pay a bit more. Not as big a market but its growing.

I keep a close eye on the time im working on things and price accordingly, thats why the rocket man turned out so expensive. Although it would be half the price without the lights, the wiring took way longer than I expected.

Im sticking to battery powered as I thought selling things that plug into the mains could be a minefield! As it is they run off 2 x AA or AAA's which im hoping will keep me out of trouble.

Soldato
Could you put a DC in socket in there instead of having it mains powered? I wonder if that would get around the potential safety minefield.

Soldato
I keep a close eye on the time im working on things and price accordingly, thats why the rocket man turned out so expensive. Although it would be half the price without the lights, the wiring took way longer than I expected.

Im sticking to battery powered as I thought selling things that plug into the mains could be a minefield! As it is they run off 2 x AA or AAA's which im hoping will keep me out of trouble.

It is pretty scary when you work out how much you have to charge when making things yourself, can understand why production for most things gets shipped out to China :p. They do look awesome though, I'd put the dogs on Etsy for £50 and see who bites. Depends what you want from it really but I'm often surprised by what people will pay for things and its always easier to come down in price than go up

I've looked at lighting safety implications for a project I'm working on myself but I'm still not sure where you stand with modifying low voltage electronics (5v) so I've just tried to keep all the LED lighting as is with no modifications. Electronics just seems to be a minefield of potential liability :eek:

Associate
OP
It is pretty scary when you work out how much you have to charge when making things yourself, can understand why production for most things gets shipped out to China :p. They do look awesome though, I'd put the dogs on Etsy for £50 and see who bites. Depends what you want from it really but I'm often surprised by what people will pay for things and its always easier to come down in price than go up

I've looked at lighting safety implications for a project I'm working on myself but I'm still not sure where you stand with modifying low voltage electronics (5v) so I've just tried to keep all the LED lighting as is with no modifications. Electronics just seems to be a minefield of potential liability :eek:

Yeh I think I can probably get round it because im not a business, if im a shop selling electronics then it needs to be legit but selling something that takes batteries, listed on ebay as "used" I could have bought it and then be selling it 2nd hand, either way im staying well away from the mains!

Soldato
Very cool,

Just a note - I would consider not mentioning what they are made out of etc - On your ebay ad it feels like you are cheapening the item by saying "reclaimed junk parts" etc - I wouldn't put that in.

Very cool indeed mind you - looks superb

Back
Top Bottom