I make computer. What computer I make?

Soldato
Yea, it's been some time since I built a PC from scratch really. I've upgraded all my mac/minis etc. and recently bought my son a 2nd hand Lenovo P300 i7 and we slapped 32gb ram and a couple of SSDs in it and it flies.

Anyway, I normally use my macbook pro for most things but we're hoping to move house soon, which will give me an office, and as such being tired of apple performance, I am going to go win 10 build.

Uses are probably fairly standard, 3 monitors, all my work, multiple VMs.

Spec I've lined up is:

• Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz
  • Corsair CW-9060025-WW Hydro Series H100i V2 240 mm Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Corsair CMU64GX4M4C3200C16 Vengeance 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
  • Asus X99-A II Motherboard
  • EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Superclocked Gaming 6 GB GDDR5 Memory
  • EVGA 1000 W GQ Series ATX Modular Power Supply
  • Corsair Carbide Series 400C Mid-Tower ATX Performance Computer Case
  • Couple of 1tb SSDs, prob samsung 850 evos
Now, I would like it to be as small and quiet as possible, so wasn't sure if I could get a MB as good/ better with smaller form factor? Also, case wise, what decent smaller form factors are there?
Lastly, would the spec be decent? Any changes people would make?

Thanks guys

Now to drip feed it in one piece at a time to get past the wife :p

Soldato
Hi

That cpu and motherboard are not compatible (Different platform/socket). You would either need an i7 5820K or i7 6800K if you wanted to stick with the Asus X99 board.

If on the other hand you want the i7 7700K then you would want a Z270 board.

That power supply is also way more than what you would need. You can't SLI the GTX 1060 so a 550W unit would be fine.

Soldato
OP
Good shout. In looking at smaller cases and options, I have moved things about a bit. What about this:

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-12%20at%2013.49.17_zpslywjpekq.png

Associate
If you want quiet, you don't want liquid cooling. I'd suggest a massive air cooler and a semi-passive cooling setup. Basically you set up your machine so fans either don't spin or spin very very little most of the time and they only throttle up when the machine is under enough load to push temperatures past a certain threshold. The best video I have ever seen explaining how to do this is on a website that rhymes with Goo Lube by TASTYPC.

Soldato
OP
OK, it doesn't need to be super quiet, but some of my previous machines make an awful racket. I think I'm pretty sold on the above. I might start picking up some of the pieces, drip feed it in the house so wife can't hit me :p

Now to find a nice 34" 4k monitor for the middle, think I'm going Samsung to match my 27s

Xez

Xez

Associate
How many vm's are you planning on running? I say this because AMD Ryzen 7 would be better for this if you are running multiple virtual machines at once.

Soldato
OP
I might have bought a few things... bought the Phenom case, Asus ROG Strix Z270G, EVGA 650w Supernova and the Corsair h100i v2. Just seen 32gb ddr4 3200mhz at 150quid, which I might have to get (I am just asking if it's 2x16 or 4x8, as I want 16s).

Then just the costly items left to get it "running" - CPU, 1080 and I'll get a 500gb m.2 for the boot drive. Oh, and I've spotted a really nice looking Samsung 34" curved 4k screen which is on offer at 620EUR as the new model is out... tempting!

Soldato
I would get 2 x 16GB if you want 32GB as that will leave room for more if needed in the future. A 4 x 8GB should still work fine but obviously it would fill up all the ram slots.

Soldato
OP
If you read on, I've bought a 650w PSU, which is more than enough.

Just ordered the 32GB of Corsair Vengeance LED.

Right, so of the 1080s, what's the deal with all the different ones? Why do they vary so much? The one listed above seems to get good reviews, but is there anything I should look for?

Soldato
OP
OK, that's the 4.2 7700k ordered. We're cooking on gas...

I reckon I've managed to shop around for bargains and so far it'll come in at 1727EUR with single m.2 500gb (I'll add a couple of 1tb SSDs later, after I get the monitor) which I think is really good value for the spec.

Soldato
Right, so of the 1080s, what's the deal with all the different ones? Why do they vary so much? The one listed above seems to get good reviews, but is there anything I should look for?

Usually they are just factory overclocked cards that carry a price premium, or in the case of the Gigabyte Xtreme that has upgraded components (Chokes and caps etc) and a longer 4 year warranty over the standard 3 years. The Gigabyte G1 is a solid card though.

Soldato
OP
Nice, thanks man.

Damn shop selling the RAM (found actually via google shopping ads) have refunded me and said they can't fulfill the order... tbf it was 2x16gb 3200 vengeance led for 170euros, so no wonder they pulled it! Going to have to search for another bargain, now.

Hmmph

Soldato
OP
Yea, I figured the Ryzen now, probably would have been a good choice. That said, I bought the ITX Phenom case by accident and so decided that I will build the Micro ATX above (just ordered the 1080 SC to complete pretty much everything now) and then use the ITX case to build out the Ryzen. My wife wants to be able to edit her own videos in 4k, so lining up a Biostar ITX Ryzen board, will get the 1700 and 32GB of the team group night force. I was thinking either a 1050 or 1070 GPU, depending on what I think at the time.

Back
Top Bottom