I need a white subwoofer

Soldato
Excuses

A) buy one second hand
B) it's more than just volume it's about flattening the response
C) buy a BD player, watch movies and TV series.

Two X 16" cone and 4000w here lol

Soldato
Yeah it depends on how much you're into this hobby, income, outgoings, responsibles, loans/mortgages etc.

I have a wharfedale diamond sw-150. It's not bad for the price and what I use it for but it is simply not good enough for a medium sized room and moderate volume (for movies)

I'd say a good high quality sub, in long term will be better option than a low end sub then regretting it later, or then getting duals of the same one then it's still not going as the single better sub.

I'd say in normal UK living room bk xls400, bk monolith or monolith+ or monoprice 10" would the ideal sub choice, rather than sw-150/Gemini.
Would the wharfedale suffice for mainly music (bass heavy) or is there better options for similar money?

Soldato
Would the wharfedale suffice for mainly music (bass heavy) or is there better options for similar money?

At the price there's not much else and others at simile range would be much of the same. It's ok sub just to compliment the system. It doesn't go that low I'd say around 35hz.

I'm used to <20hz subs so difference is considerable.

Better subs would be bk xls200, bk xls400, bk double Gemini, monolith +
There's also monoprice monolith 10" on auction site £416.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions, wouldn't 20Hz be more vibrations through your body etc.

That's why it's called sub. 20hz is below hearing. Those frequencies typically for movies or synthesised instruments.

Room size, is it open,.expected SPL desired? What sort of music?

However if a sub can output low frequency at high SPL typically it means 20hz+ high output too, plus it only needs if the sub struggles with low bass that increased THD.

Demands on a "music' sub are much less than movies, typically a good quality 12" sealed box is more than sufficient for a music sub.

Ie bk xls 400, svs sb2000 etc.

For movies in a big room, high SPL then looking at ported or bigger driver and more powersub.

Soldato
That's a very big room I'd get another. If you give total dimensions I can work out master volume olume playback sub is capable of
So, I'd been working out the SPL in my living room and balancing the sub. A few days later my neighbours got their house valued and it's going up for sale. They text my wife to sayit's partly down to me playing records with the sub on. Ah well. See I don't need anything bigger in an end terrace!

Soldato
So, I'd been working out the SPL in my living room and balancing the sub. A few days later my neighbours got their house valued and it's going up for sale. They text my wife to sayit's partly down to me playing records with the sub on. Ah well. See I don't need anything bigger in an end terrace!

You've got a bigger room than me, and I have about around +12dB extra output for my pair

Soldato
Not sure all this talk about Home Cinema subs when the OP said "I want a sub to go with them for a mediumish room, just gaming and blasting my music" is good advice from my experience.

I've got a modest Home Cinema setup but have got 2 x Monoprice 12in THX Select subs in a 3.4 x 4.2M room..
For my Study (2.8m x 2.8m) I have a Gemini II in the corner, it's also overkill..

IMO it's about balance, the study setup is great, the bass is amazing for the diminuative size, especially for music/gaming, I'm rocking away now and the nice/taught bass that doesn't generate too much at 10-20hz is perfect for it's intended use, plenty of slam and a good feeling of ~35hz bass which is quite impactful. Casual friends who think their Sonos speaker has great bass think the Gemini II is ridiculously OTT.. I then demo the Home Cinema and think I'm mental.

Associate
My PC runs the black Kanto YU4s and I actually ended with a white sub8 because I was tracking a few on eBay and stuck a bid in. I expected to be outbid but it ended up finishing at £150 so I couldn't complain given boxed mint condition. Would probably have preferred black, but the white is quite nice as a contrast with the all black speakers.

Given I was happy with the YU4 as desktop speakers on their own, I can only say I'm impressed with what the sub8 added given what I use the PC for. Mostly just some gaming or music. No movies or anything.

I know this topic is quite old now, but a +1 to the Kanto sub being good, especially if you can get it discounted/good condition 2nd hand.

Soldato
Not sure all this talk about Home Cinema subs when the OP said "I want a sub to go with them for a mediumish room, just gaming and blasting my music" is good advice from my experience.

I've got a modest Home Cinema setup but have got 2 x Monoprice 12in THX Select subs in a 3.4 x 4.2M room..
For my Study (2.8m x 2.8m) I have a Gemini II in the corner, it's also overkill..

IMO it's about balance, the study setup is great, the bass is amazing for the diminuative size, especially for music/gaming, I'm rocking away now and the nice/taught bass that doesn't generate too much at 10-20hz is perfect for it's intended use, plenty of slam and a good feeling of ~35hz bass which is quite impactful. Casual friends who think their Sonos speaker has great bass think the Gemini II is ridiculously OTT.. I then demo the Home Cinema and think I'm mental.
Also in untreated rooms the full bass can only be heard in the corners of the room from my experience..

If budget allows I’d go with acoustic treatment first so you can actually listen and enjoy to full potential of the speakers and subwoofer

Soldato

I'm using a couple of the bigger monoprice subs they're awesome. 2000w X 2

The 12" monoprice subs are THX ultra
The 10" is THX select

Back
Top Bottom