• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I see 3060 is in stock - discussion on wider reasons and future trends

Associate
Hi,
Just an observation, but i see that the 3060 is in stock, i would guess at least 80+ cards still to sell at the time of writing (i see 10+ items for at least 8 different cards as i count it on ocuk site).

Whats great is that they appear to not to have instantly gone out of stock, does this mean that demand is dropping, (or supply catching up to demand at least) or can miners just not use the 3060 now? Or is there another reason?

If stock does manage to hold, if not for this delivery, perhaps the next or the one after, do we expect 3060s to drop back fast to RRP? My thinking here is that as soon as people see them in stock it will be a quick race to normal RRP values? As scalpers will have no reason to buy up if they stay in stock and the market will quickly go back to normal?

Can anyone speak to mining and if the miners are not buying up cards presently due to the volatile market and i heard something about China no longer allowing people to trade in cypto?

I see nvidia got a lot of flak recently for the 3070TI and 3080TI release due to their price/performance ratio, from my point of view the 3000 series only got so much love and attention for its massive increase in price/performance vs 2000 series, and what with the pandemic Nvidia with the Ti's is probably just trying to take more advantage of demand?
I would guess that we may see less stock of 3070 and 3080 out of Nvidia in favour of them releasing 3070ti and 3080ti at a better profit margin for themselfs? Conversly the 3060ti was great value for consumers as Nvidia where concerned with what AMD may bring to market, am i right that Nvidia are producing less or these cards due to lower profit margin for Nvidia?

Love to hear peoples thoughts?
i am close to picking up a 3060 but feeling that if i hold out prices may soon start to fall?
Or do people think i should just go for the 3060 at these prices? (see my Ancient 970 rig in the sig).
best regards all

Associate
Miners stopped buying cards becoz it's no longer reasonable Or profitable . If miners stay away, the stock will build up and prices will balance out, but it's hard to tell yet.

Associate
Prices on the bay are dropping. 3080FE's were fetching £1700-1800 a week and a bit ago, they hit a low of £1200 or so and have now risen a little again. Still far lower than recent times.

FE drops seem more frequent, and more stores seem to be keeping stock (though still at inflated prices). Saw some 3070Ti cards in stock for £1k.

Associate
Also, there are Rev2.0 boards around now which are the LHR cards, definitely Gigabyte anyway. Not seen many sites mentioning it though so not sure if that's a reason behind the stock levels

Associate
It's likely a bit of everything.

AMD prices aren't coming down at this minute, and are still selling. So it may take a little longer for any reasonable drop on AMD's side. This was mentioned by Gibbo.

You'd like to think that the budget line is in the planning from AMD to help their market share as Nvidia appear to just be all about max profits on the short term.

But anything could happen. I'd wait it out as you've got this far.

Soldato
I don't see where a 3060 fits in, I get the 3060Ti, the cost of a 3060 makes no sense at the price point either get the Ti or 3070.

(None of the prices make sense mind)

Man of Honour
My guess is they still sell some at these prices, and because there is such a general shortage of GPUs there will be no rush to drop prices, they can drip feed the sales and then slowly drop prices as inventories build up.

Lets be honest most people don't want to pay £600+ for a 3060 especially as a lot of gamers prepared to drop that sort of cash on a GPU may already have something of similar power (1080/2070/5700XT etc) or better.

Soldato
Miners are cautious right now. Mining is still very profitable, but with the crypto market currently in depression and changes to Eth looming, there's a reluctance to continue expanding. In turn, this means more cards are making it to retail.

With retail availability improving week-on-week, scalper prices are continually falling. Take the 3060 Ti FE; down £300-£400 on peak pricing (albeit still 2x MSRP). Falling prices mean scalpers are buying less through fear of getting burned. And so cards are staying in stock for longer.

Could be that the worst of this problem is over now, irrespective of what happens to cryptocurrency prices. Changes to Eth are set to hurt mining profitability ahead of the Eth 2.0 rollout. And while alternative mineable coins exist, none will be profitable if mined at the scale which Eth is currently mined at.

The only way that things return to Q1 madness is if changes to Eth are very late and/or don't have the desired effect, and prices recover. Or an alternative GPU minable coin (like Conflux) moons in value.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I don't see where a 3060 fits in, I get the 3060Ti, the cost of a 3060 makes no sense at the price point either get the Ti or 3070.

(None of the prices make sense mind)

I must confess I haven't followed the release of stuff I can't buy, but what small info I have gleaned is the 3060 is really bad value for money. You would have to be nuts to pay even shop prices for one.

Associate
do we expect 3060s to drop back fast to RRP?
It is great to see supply coming back through, but we're unlikely to see prices drop quickly. Firstly the AIBs, logistics and distributors have all raised costs through the supply chain so retailers will lose money on stock already bought. More significantly, there is so much pent up demand that each time the prices step down, a whole load of gamers who've been holding out will start buying again. A slow descent IMHO I'm afraid!

Back
Top Bottom