I think it's time to drive...

Soldato
Right, I decided what to do with my rebate money.

Well, almost, its a cross between driving lessons or servicing my Ducati 748...

Driving wise, I'm petrified of driving, I get so nervous. But I need to learn at some point plus winter is coming up and I just hate riding through the winter :( Can get rather chilly!

So, who should I learn with? How much am I expected to pay? How many hours? Will having a full bike licence make any difference? Do I have to do the car theory? How many months will it take?

ags

Soldato
You have to do the car theory, yes. Having your bike licence should help, having my car licence when I went on to get my bike provisional a few months back, has made riding easy for me, because I know what the roads and people are like.

Associate
No, most people do it about halfway through learning to drive. Took me about 25 lessons to pass, but I had no private tuition. Costs around about £20~ a lesson normally.

Liquidfox you need a provisional license to learn to drive?

Associate
I'm learning with the AA, paying £28 a lesson (you get a discount when you buy 12 at a time).

I had a few lessons before I took my theory, and practiced with a CD bought from the AA, and passed it with flying colours!

Not driven before June this year, only experience on the road is using a pedal bike through London, so knew that people can be prats on the road.

My practical test is in the middle of October, and started lessons at the beginning of June. My instructor says I'm ready now, but not looking for a cancellation because I'd like the extra practice of extra lessons before the big day.

Man of Honour
I learnt with the AA, at the time i liked the security of knowing i was always getting into the same engined same model of car, a new focus 1.6 - whilst not my cup of tea it was fairly easy to pass the test in.

Associate
£28 per hour, yikes. I learnt with a private tutor three years ago for £14 an hour!

Once you pick up the controls and manoeuvres it should become quite quick and easy to drive and pass your test due to your previous bike experience. Diesel cars will be easier to learn in than petrol, but don't let that influence your choice of tutor, get one that is recommended by friends/family/colleagues.

Soldato
Always go for recommendations of friends etc rather than big names like AA BSM etc.

i find smaller companies with more down to earth instructors and prices to be better suited for learning.

i was paying £17 p/h +31 theory +62 practical test.

ended up costing me £501 to pass (23 Lessons) + £150 pass plus.

StevenG

Associate
I mainly went with the AA because of the instructor... he taught both my step-daughters to drive and they recommended him highly, as well as him having a high first-time pass rate :)

Soldato
OP
I went for the AA costing £52 for 2 hours, rang up as I have a phobia of driving and also the site was throwing a wobbly because I have a full motorbike licence.

Went for a guy called Colin hehe.

Looking forward to it but also very, VERY nervous :(

ags

Associate
If you've got your bike licence then getting your car one should be a piece of cake!

I passed my car test before my bike test and even then i'd say the bike test was harder.

Soldato
OP
If you've got your bike licence then getting your car one should be a piece of cake!

I passed my car test before my bike test and even then i'd say the bike test was harder.

I have a serious phobia, the thought of controlling something that weighs well over a ton is scarey and being cased inside a metal cocoon... CREEPY!

But yea, a lot of people have said due to me having bike licence will make the car test a doddle.

ags

spp

spp

Associate
I'm in a very similar situation. I've been riding for 6 years, and have finally decided to learn to drive. I was going to go with the AA, but several friends recommended a private instructor they had passed with. Costs about £21/hour, which I think is pretty good. The bike stuff will help to an extent, as you already know your way around the road. I've done the car theory, which was pretty much identical to the bike one I sat 6 years ago, only difference was a couple of car related questions thrown in. If you passed the bike one, you'll pass the car one.

Soldato
OP
Just having a chat with my collegue (as the more I think about it, the more excited I get hehe) and apparently my thought for a first car is stupid???

I want a old school Mini, possibly a mini clubman, would not spend more than £1500 on it... As my best mate is mini mad so would help with every problem I have and being very mechanical minded my self, I'm sure I could service it as lets face it... A old mini is nothing fancy lol.

Are they cheap to insure?

ags

Back
Top Bottom