I think my PSU just died, looking for a new one

Associate
So I fired up the D2R beta when suddenly the power in my house went off, I had to go outside and flip the switches to fix it. When I came back, the PC wouldn’t boot.

I tried another cable, different socket, checked the motherboard connections, everything was fine. I also did the paper clip thingy and the fan won’t start so I’m guessing I killed my PSU?

It’s a 650w seasonic which I got in 2013.

Anyway, if there’s nothing else left to try, which high quality PSU would you recommend? I’d prefer fully modular and either Seasonic or Corsair. Watts I’d say, 750? Or maybe 850? Currently have a 3700x and a 5700XT.

Associate
Corsair's RM/RMx line-up is solid with great warranty/support (the RMx being a little better), with PC components only demanding more power each generation it might be a good idea to get a higher wattage PSU.
I'd say something like the RM850/x would be a great option, I've seen them for around £90 recently. Otherwise an RM750/x is perfectly fine.

Associate
Is the Seasonic not covered under warranty? a lot of the models they released used to be 10 year warranty it appears to only be over the past few years they released some more budget models which have shorter warranty.

Associate
OP
Corsair rm 750w would be my choice , 10 year warranty and fully modular also like the advanced rma service.

I see that there is a 2018 and a 2021 version with the newest being more expensive obviously, which one would you recommend?

Corsair's RM/RMx line-up is solid with great warranty/support (the RMx being a little better), with PC components only demanding more power each generation it might be a good idea to get a higher wattage PSU.
I'd say something like the RM850/x would be a great option, I've seen them for around £90 recently. Otherwise an RM750/x is perfectly fine.

Thanks, I’ll check these out.

Is the Seasonic not covered under warranty? a lot of the models they released used to be 10 year warranty it appears to only be over the past few years they released some more budget models which have shorter warranty.

I’m not sure tbh, it’s probably under warranty but I can’t even remember where I got it from and I definitely don’t have a receipt. Might send them an email though.

Associate
I just recently got myself a Seasonic Focus GX-850 gold for just 104€ pretty amazing if you ask me. Check out which one of these recommend has good deals on it right now and go from there I guess.

Associate
OP
New PSU arrived, installed and everything is working fine!

One question, on my old Seasonic PSU I was using a single PCIE cable with 2x8pins to power my 5700XT and I'm doing the same with the new PSU. Should I be using 2 PCIE cables or it doesn't matter?

Soldato
In this instance I don’t think it would matter. The 5700XT isn’t a hugely hungry card. I really don’t think you would have any problems using a single PCIE cable.

‘Best practice’ is usually to use two separate cables. I’ve tried both ways with a variety of cards and never have I ran in to a problem when using a decent PSU.

Associate
OP
In this instance I don’t think it would matter. The 5700XT isn’t a hugely hungry card. I really don’t think you would have any problems using a single PCIE cable.

‘Best practice’ is usually to use two separate cables. I’ve tried both ways with a variety of cards and never have I ran in to a problem when using a decent PSU.

Sweet, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom