I think our house is shockingly badly insulated.

Caporegime
I've been thinking our house seems to drop in temperature far too quickly for its age.
It was built in 1999 but it seems to get cold very very quickly. Here is a temperature profile of one of the rooms taken from the TRV near the radiator.

I'm pretty sure this is awful. All I can think of is the windows.

How would I go about diagnosing the issues?

Within a few hours the temperature drops to bloody cold!

EYbeKzC.jpg

Soldato
Try and get hold of something that can produce a thermal image. Put the heating on and heat the room to desired temp, record images through the thermal and see if there are leaks at your windows.

Do you have a loft? Have you been up to check insulation up there and is it particularly cold in one room only?

During any colder weather, where ice/snow is on your roof, have you noticed that it.melts away faster than other properties?

Soldato
It's difficult to know how representative that temperature is. Is the TRV on a radiator near a window? In which case the cold wash of air towards the floor may have a disproportionate affect.

Otherwise 5 or 6 degrees in an our does seem fast.

Soldato
I've been thinking our house seems to drop in temperature far too quickly for its age.
It was built in 1999 but it seems to get cold very very quickly. Here is a temperature profile of one of the rooms taken from the TRV near the radiator.

I'm pretty sure this is awful. All I can think of is the windows.

How would I go about diagnosing the issues?

Within a few hours the temperature drops to bloody cold!

EYbeKzC.jpg

You got trickle vents closed on windows?

Associate
Do you have a vent for a gas fire or anything? We had one of those directly behind the main radiator in our front room when we moved in. Literally a big hole in the wall. Got that blocked up pretty sharpish! We had the gas fire removed at the same time so the vent was no longer required.

Soldato
Is the TRV on a radiator near a window?

yes looks like the trv can just be tracking temperature in the radiator pipes - the peaks seem odd since they are symmetric and it takes just as long to heat up as cool down -
if I boil a kettle to put water in a flask it heats quick but cools slower

parents have a remote thermostat they keep on table in middle of living room

Caporegime
OP
Am I reading that right, it's dropping 5 degrees in an hour:eek:.

Yes. It's never really been this cold since I moved here and it's quite noticeable. I'm sure the trv being near the radiator has an effect but being at some others houses over Christmas (much bigger) that don't cool like ours there must be issues?

Caporegime
OP
To answer some questions

All the radiators are below windows.
So I expect the positioning does have an effect but I feel its fairly right. It feels cold.

Trv can't be tracking the pipe temp otherwise wouldn't it be going to 60c or something? I haven't seen anyone with tado etc saying this. Otherwise product wouldn't be viable?

I'll put the movable thermostat on the kitchen table today and get a centre of the room log.

Caporegime
OP
You got trickle vents closed on windows?

They are closed. But it very much feels like the windows are the guilty culprits. They feel very cold if you put your hand near them despite being double glazed

Try and get hold of something that can produce a thermal image. Put the heating on and heat the room to desired temp, record images through the thermal and see if there are leaks at your windows.

Do you have a loft? Have you been up to check insulation up there and is it particularly cold in one room only?

During any colder weather, where ice/snow is on your roof, have you noticed that it.melts away faster than other properties?

Yep I think I need something along these lines. I don't recall the rating this house got being this bad.

I've checked the l loft. There is insulation but I wouldn't know if it's good/bad if that makes and sense.

Soldato
Must be rad placement? I have a room (kitchen) that gets to 12 degrees when it is very cold, but it is literally a single wall - many window - flat roof extension.

Caporegime
OP
If anywhere in your house gets down to 10c in the night, something is very wrong.
Must be rad placement? I have a room (kitchen) that gets to 12 degrees when it is very cold, but it is literally a single wall - many window - flat roof extension.

Kitchen is the worst offender.

It gets down to 13c (temperature offset on trv of - 2.5) but it is fully integrated into the house.

It has 3 external walls and bedroom above.
And 2 windows.

But yes I still feel this temp is far too much of a drop off.
Can windows really be this bad?

I may speak to the neighbours they have a different style of house but it was built at same time. It looks like have similar windows.

Back
Top Bottom