I thought I wanted a Octavia VRS/Scirocco R...bought an S4

Soldato
I have to admit I'm still finding it hard to find good examples.

I have however on the other hand seen a few Scirocco R DSG's which were always a second choice. I didn't realise the Scirocco had stopped production. Really loved my 140 but it didn't have enough poke.
look at passat/seat/audi too..

Soldato
I have to admit I'm still finding it hard to find good examples.

I have however on the other hand seen a few Scirocco R DSG's which were always a second choice. I didn't realise the Scirocco had stopped production. Really loved my 140 but it didn't have enough poke.
The Scirocco was only ever built from the Mk5 platform and that's worth bearing in mind. It's a car released in 2008, that was itself based on a car/platform released in 2003.

They obviously made updates but nothing substantial enough that it would have brought it truly on par with the Mk7 Golf platform, that the current Octavia and Leon's would also be based on.

Im guessing your budget is around the £15k mark, which imo you'd be mad to spend on a Scirocco. Personally I'd be looking to Leon Cupra 280s if I couldn't find a suitable Octavia.

Soldato
I'm not sure if the Superb might be just a little too long for my drive to be fair. My current Octavia just squeezes on.
Even the Mk3 Octavia is a bit longer - I had to rehang and have my gates shortened because I couldn't close them any more :p

Associate
I currently have an 18 plate 230 vRS estate DSG

First DSG/Auto I have had and I have to say I love it, normal mode is tame, sport mode is quick and you have the manual paddle shift/gear shift if you want.

I seem to remember getting 45mpg on a long run, my TDCI Q3 150 Quattro only got ~50mpg on a run so I'm starting to see the petrol/diesel debate as dying now that modern petrol engines are quick and economical (add to the extra cost of diesel the cost of AdBlue and i'm sure petrol is actually cheaper for average people)
It is a rather unfair comparrison though - the Q3 is quite a bit heavier and the quattro will always negatively influence consumption. Same as the aerodynamics, it's a mini SUV but still penalised a bit. You should see how bad the older 2.0 TDI Q5 were.. :D
I agree that the gap is getting smaller, but driven one behind another the diesel vRS will still be noticeably better than the petrol vRS. For 10k miles a year it is certainly not necessary, with that I agree.

@MR Punk - if you're ok with used models - there are plenty Golf R's and S3's (even saloons) to chose from at the sub 20k price bracket. They will of course be a bit older, but will also offer a significant step up in performance. And underneath, the are all based on the newer MQB platform, unlike the Scirocco.

Soldato
I tend to keep quiet on Octavia threads as mine was an utter liability - but if you're struggling to find what you want I would say my focus st estate blows my Octavia of the same age as yours away on an engine and handling front.

Don't think I'd buy a very new one but at say 3 years old could be worth thinking about. Only downside is rear passenger space really.

I do like the MK3 Octavia though, it's a very well rounded car

Soldato
I have a MK3 Octavia vRS and have done for just under 3 years. So far it has been great, I really can't fault it in any substantial way, not compared to it's price appropriate competition anyway. The LCD in mine looks a little small and old by today's standards but the facelift has put a larger one in, although I don't actually like the look of the facelift from the front as much, bit too busy now imo. Mine is a petrol version with DSG, I have driven the diesel and it's quite a different car, the diesel just drives like a diesel really, the petrol feels like something a bit more special than a standard Octavia and is quite a bit quicker than the diesel. I would recommend.

Soldato
OP
I have a MK3 Octavia vRS and have done for just under 3 years. So far it has been great, I really can't fault it in any substantial way, not compared to it's price appropriate competition anyway. The LCD in mine looks a little small and old by today's standards but the facelift has put a larger one in, although I don't actually like the look of the facelift from the front as much, bit too busy now imo. Mine is a petrol version with DSG, I have driven the diesel and it's quite a different car, the diesel just drives like a diesel really, the petrol feels like something a bit more special than a standard Octavia and is quite a bit quicker than the diesel. I would recommend.

I agree on the face lift model, I do not prefer the split headlight cluster. Luckily my price range is keeping me out of that.

Associate
The LCD in mine looks a little small and old by today's standards but the facelift has put a larger one in,

I'm not sure whether you're referring to Maxidot (DIS) or the central Infotainment screen, however if specced right those in the pre-facelift don't look small and old. The Columbus screen is 8.0 inches (same size and resolution as the standard facelift Amundsen) and Columbus also guarantees the colour Maxidot display instead of the old B+W low Res one which should never have been fitted to the MK3. The facelift colour Maxidot doesn't really advance things much from the pre-facelift colour Maxidot.

Soldato
I was referring to the infotainment display not the the one in the instrument binnacle. Mine has the basic display, not sure what you call it but it's not the 8 inch one, it's low res and not very responsive.

Associate
I suppose its bridging the gap on performance and age. I would really like to get something no more than 3 years old.
I see, well there are a few 16 plate Golf R right at the £20k mark, even the estate version should you want the additional space. DSG versions with decent history, I think the gap is so significant that they're definately worth trying. :)

Soldato
OP
Well today I threw a spanner in the works. Went to see a Scirocco R that I'd been eyeing up and there was an Audi S4. Pretty sure it ticked boxes I didn't originally have. 333HP and all the mod cons I want. I think my outlook may have changed.

Associate
They are great engines (I assume you mean the B8), capable of ridiculous performance (read 450bhp with a remap, or 500bhp with 2K worth of bolt-ons from MRC) should you desire.

However, bear in mind it is a big, heavy, 4wd car with a supercharged engine. Economy is... not particularly stellar. Expect a 50% + decrease from your current car. I currently have an A4 B8 3.0tdi quattro and it's noticeably thirstier than the previous 3L diesels I had due to the extra weight and 4wd drivetrain. My dad has a 2.0 tdi MK3 Octavia and you can certainly notice the near 500kg difference between the two cars, although the Audi has an obvious advantage in terms of grip.

Soldato
OP
They are great engines (I assume you mean the B8), capable of ridiculous performance (read 450bhp with a remap, or 500bhp with 2K worth of bolt-ons from MRC) should you desire.

However, bear in mind it is a big, heavy, 4wd car with a supercharged engine. Economy is... not particularly stellar. Expect a 50% + decrease from your current car. I currently have an A4 B8 3.0tdi quattro and it's noticeably thirstier than the previous 3L diesels I had due to the extra weight and 4wd drivetrain. My dad has a 2.0 tdi MK3 Octavia and you can certainly notice the near 500kg difference between the two cars, although the Audi has an obvious advantage in terms of grip.

Yes its the B8, anything newer in that bracket becomes silly money.

It has definitely made me think. Gonna take a few days to ponder. MPG isn't really an issue any more due to the reduced mileage I do.

Associate
In that case, it's a great car. Take your time and get one with the right spec. B&O and Nav are a must, and everyone raves about how the Sports Differential transforms the car. Adaptive suspension (via Audi Drive select) is also great - essentially giving you both comfort and a stiff suspension in the same package.

Mine also has adaptive cruise control & Audi brake guard (I think they come together). Both really nice options - the first one on the motorway and the second one for safety at all times. :)

Soldato
OP
£20K for a 3.5 year old car but its a lot of car. Looking at some older models though they seem to hold there value longer term which is always a good sign.

Adaptive Cruise Control I'm not sure of I've had it a lot with the cars at work and I cant get on with it which is frustrating as most people love it. I must find it hard to give it up control as I rarely use Cruise Control either.

Associate
£20K for a 3.5 year old car but its a lot of car. Looking at some older models though they seem to hold there value longer term which is always a good sign.

Adaptive Cruise Control I'm not sure of I've had it a lot with the cars at work and I cant get on with it which is frustrating as most people love it. I must find it hard to give it up control as I rarely use Cruise Control either.
20k? That’s a bargain! Or is that px’ing your vRS?

Back
Top Bottom