I thought Laser mice was the best, why do they still make "gaming" optical mice?

Associate
I bought my first laser mouse several moons ago, it's still working well. I am just wondering why there are still gaming mice around with optical (infra red) technology.

I was looking for a gaming mouse, the mad katz rat3 has too many crevices and gaps and it gets filty in there. I am a bit fed up of having to disassemble it to clean it and wanted something new. I didn't have much range when search for laser mouse, so I tried gaming mouse and so many mice popped up, priced £25+, they were described as optical. I thought perhaps optical is the new name for laser mouse. A bit like how Apple just re-describe everything every year.

Man of Honour
I might be wrong but I imagine it is cheaper and easier to make a stable and consistent optical mouse than laser and for most people optical does fine while those that use a setup where they appreciate the potential advantages laser has are probably a small minority.

Man of Honour
I'm afraid to inform you that you are quite mistaken. Laser sensors rely on processing and approximation technology which is inferior to optical for predictable replication of input from identical distance moved (the type utilised by muscle memory when gaming). Basically, a mouse with a laser sensor will have built in smoothing, angle snapping or acceleration that is unavoidable due to the very nature of the technology, whereas a mouse with an optical sensor may not.

Soldato
Its a bit of a sweeping statement. A poor cheap optical gaming mouse is not better than a decent laser mouse.

Most mice are optical though laser ones are more scarce I agree. Better for gaming, its subjective.
What do you mean my £5 optical mouse isn't as good as an £80 las0r one?

Associate
I recently upgraded from the Razer Lachesis which is a laser sensor, to the Razer Lancehead which is an optical sensor (wireless version is laser still for better battery use.)

Lachesis is 10 years old but still a great mouse, though the optical on the Lancehead feels slightly more accurate and crisp at the same DPI setting.

Really not much difference from my point of view, though the Lancehead has 16000dpi max compared to Lachesis on 5600dpi, I usually use about 3500dpi custom setting on both, so no real difference there for me either.

Back
Top Bottom