I want a credit card!

Consigliere
I have decided i need to get a credit card but i have no idea what to get. I basically need advice on where to go, companies, what to look out for etc.

I will only ever use it in emergencies as i honestly don't like the idea of credit too much.

Guide me. :)

Soldato
If you've got a decent credit rating them go to moneysupermarket and check out the best deals. If you've got a bad credit rating go to Capital One.

Permabanned
Leave well alone, tbh, especially if a woman has access to it :(

Visa Debit is good for practically anywhere in the world mate. Personally I take traveller's cheques abroad though.

Consigliere
OP
Mulder said:
If you've got a decent credit rating them go to moneysupermarket and check out the best deals. If you've got a bad credit rating go to Capital One.

But i have never had a credit card before...so i shouldn't have a rating? But what IS a good deal? That's the point of this thread..i don't know what to look for. :)

Permabanned
Mulder said:
Capital One Classic Card
For people who need to strengthen their credit rating
  • No Annual Fee
  • Up to £2,500 in spending power
  • Credit limit increase - simply use your card*, stay within your credit limit and make your payments on time and we will increase your initial credit limit on your 4th statement
  • A FREE choice of card design
  • Spread your payments
  • Typical 34.9% APR variable
:eek::eek:

Soldato
Jez said:
Get a VISA debit card. Accepted in the same places as visa, ie, everywhere.
Bingo. I have a credit card, but I only ever use my Visa Electron debit card.

It's just a simpler, easier way to make transactions and not spend more than you actually have.

Permabanned
Same here, don't like the idea of walking around with over a grands worth of temptation in my wallet. I use a Visa debit card too, like mentioned above.

Soldato
Im in the same situation really, i have to do a bank transfer to my parents account if i want to order anything online as i only have a cash card and a cheque book.

i would love to order my own things but i have been told that credit cards/debit cards are not worth it at my age (18).

i would like a card that wont let me go below what i dont have, anyone have a suggestion?

Soldato
Sinny said:
Im in the same situation really, i have to do a bank transfer to my parents account if i want to order anything online as i only have a cash card and a cheque book.

i would love to order my own things but i have been told that credit cards/debit cards are not worth it at my age (18).

i would like a card that wont let me go below what i dont have, anyone have a suggestion?
Visa Electron debit card. You can order from pretty much anywhere online with it and I've not been in a shop that doesn't take them either to be honest. You can only spend money that's physically in your bank account, and you can also use it for internet banking amongst other things.

Associate
Sinny said:
Im in the same situation really, i have to do a bank transfer to my parents account if i want to order anything on-line as i only have a cash card and a cheque book.

i would like a card that wont let me go below what i don't have, anyone have a suggestion?

I have a visa electron, I am 15 years old, With Halifax, you can't spend over what you have in your bank ect. its very good! I can order from on-line do most things ect paypal needing to be 18 ect ect.

Man of Honour
Jez said:
Get a VISA debit card. Accepted in the same places as visa, ie, everywhere.

I would advise against this due to not being protected under the consumer credit act and your also not strengthening your credit profile.

As long as your careful with your money there is no reason not to get a credit card.

Burnsy

Soldato
it is possible to get an overdraft with a visa electron, so it is technicaly possible to spend money you dont have in your bank, but i think you dont get an overdraft unless you request one.

Man of Honour
Dist said:
it is possible to get an overdraft with a visa electron, so it is technicaly possible to spend money you dont have in your bank, but i think you dont get an overdraft unless you request one.

There is absolutely no advantage to having this over a Credit card.

Get a card below the 18% APR rate. Money supermarket would be a good start.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
Millwall.FC said:
once you get in debt its like a lead weight and will suck you dry.

There is a big difference between manageable and unmanageble debt. Managable debt is good, especially when you're young as it gives you a good credit rating which is very useful when you get a mortgage.

Unmanageable debt is potentially a very dangerous situation, but some people would agree that a bad credit rating can be better then no credit rating at all.

Burnsy

Associate
Millwall.FC said:
im not too keen on spending money that aint mine....
once you get in debt its like a lead weight and will suck you dry.

So use it responsibly and don't get into debt? I've never ever paid a single penny of interest in many years of having credit cards :)

Whilst everyone needs a debit card, making online purchases is a bit of a risk compared to credit - once the money has disappeared from your account via a debit card it can be very difficult to get it back. Credit cards on the other hand are a different matter altogether :cool:

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:
There is a big difference between manageable and unmanageble debt. Managable debt is good, especially when you're young as it gives you a good credit rating which is very useful when you get a mortgage.

Unmanageable debt is potentially a very dangerous situation, but some people would agree that a bad credit rating can be better then no credit rating at all.
He's already said he just needs a card for emergencies and doesn't like the idea of credit, so I'm not sure where all this is coming from. :confused:

Man of Honour
Ulfhedjinn said:
He's already said he just needs a card for emergencies and doesn't like the idea of credit, so I'm not sure where all this is coming from. :confused:

My point is that although he doesn't like the idea of credit it could be benificial to him as long as he only uses it as intended.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom