I was thinking of buying a Laptop but ....

Associate
several changes have been made since i last bought a laptop a Acer aspire 6350G ... no more optical drive and no more removable battery (if you are using your laptop for home constantly charging the battery without releasing the energy reduces the life of your lap top) ... i can use a external Blu ray player but their is no way round the battery problem ... i wanted the laptop to replace my PC if i can't buy a laptop with a detachable battery i will just upgrade my PC instead

the max i am willing to spend is £1,000 - £1,200

Associate
If you don't have mind with undoing the bottom panel and there is no warranty sticker then you could just unscrew the bottom panel, disconnect the battery from the main board and even remove the battery if desired.
Most laptop these days have the batteries tucked underneath now to try improve portability and even improve cooling by using the space where a battery used to go.
You are probably better off upgrading your PC if you don't fancy removing the bottom panel all the time to re-connect/de-connect the battery.

Associate
OP
If you don't have mind with undoing the bottom panel and there is no warranty sticker then you could just unscrew the bottom panel, disconnect the battery from the main board and even remove the battery if desired.
Most laptop these days have the batteries tucked underneath now to try improve portability and even improve cooling by using the space where a battery used to go.
You are probably better off upgrading your PC if you don't fancy removing the bottom panel all the time to re-connect/de-connect the battery.
Laptop would be for home use only ... no need for the battery

Associate
Like I said if you're happy with removing the bottom panel to get access to the battery and internals then by all means you can just disconnect the battery.
The laptops around your price range can get you a laptop with i7 with GTX1060 like these:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...d-120hz-i7-8750h-gaming-laptop-lt-278-ms.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...d-120hz-i7-8750h-gaming-laptop-lt-279-ms.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-o...-intel-i7-7700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-043-hp.html

Or spend bit more and get one with 1070:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ync-3ms-i7-8750h-gaming-laptop-lt-266-as.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-8750h-gaming-laptop-exclusive-lt-28q-ms.html

If you get MSI do check if they don't have any warranty sticker covering a screw as I have one on my MSI GF63-8RD, not sure about Asus laptop though.

Associate
OP
I may be wrong, but don't most laptops divert power and not utilise the battery when fully charged?
when i had a acer and a dell before that i was instructed to remove the battery if i was not going to use it for travelling as it increased the lifetime of my laptop .... mate had same model as mine his lasted 18 months because he kept the battery in his laptop whilst mine lasted 9 years

Soldato
when i had a acer and a dell before that i was instructed to remove the battery if i was not going to use it for travelling as it increased the lifetime of my laptop .... mate had same model as mine his lasted 18 months because he kept the battery in his laptop whilst mine lasted 9 years

I'm not sure how comparable it is, but I just looked.

My 2016 MacBook Pro which is my work horse, this thing comes with me everywhere, it has 103 battery cycles, not bad for 3 years of use.

It also states that it is currently powered via Power Adaptor, not battery:

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

Wattage (W): 86

Name: 87W USB-C Power Adapter

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Hardware Version: 1.0

Firmware Version: 1070069

Charging: No

I may be wrong, but from this it would lead me to believe that it's powered via AC not through the battery which is constantly topped up. I think that technology has improved a lot more in recent years.

Man of Honour
The Thinkpad T480 and T580 still have a removable battery, It's an office machine so you won't get much gaming out of it. But if all you want is a reliable, user upgreadable and fixable laptop with a removal battery then I'd recommend a Thinkpad T series.

Note that the T480s (note the 's') does not have a removable battey and the upcoming T490 also does not have one. So the 2018 generation of T series is likely to be the last with one. I have a much older T530 and T440s which both have removable batteries and love them because of it.

Associate
I know my gt73vr doesn't continuously charge when its fully charged. It shows battery not charging. So to keep the battery in good working order. It's coming up two years old and still pretty much perfect battery wise

Associate
You can have a look at the lower end specification HP ZBook 17 G5/G6 mobile workstations which can be configured with optical drives. For replaceable batteries, again, the HP ZBook 15/17, Dell Precision mobile workstations and Lenovo Thinkpad P series workstations (but not the new P53).

Back
Top Bottom