I wish I knew about this painting trick before (cutting in straight lines)

Soldato
OP
He hasn't. The method shown has an extra step of applying a coat of white paint after painting the ceiling and applying the tap. That extra white paint is not required with good tape.

I beg to differ after getting bleed using both tessa and frog. The seal method has for me at least, resulted in 100% bleed free time and time again :cool:

Don't get me wrong, both those tapes are very good....but neither are perfect

Associate
I beg to differ after getting bleed using both tessa and frog. The seal method has for me at least, resulted in 100% bleed free time and time again :cool:

Don't get me wrong, both those tapes are very good....but neither are perfect

Ah OK, I haven't had bleed issues but fair enough if you have and it helps. But the overall point of thread is using tape vs. free hand surely? Not this extra use of white paint to seal it?

Soldato
OP
Ah OK, I haven't had bleed issues but fair enough if you have and it helps. But the overall point of thread is using tape vs. free hand surely? Not this extra use of white paint to seal it?

No that was the point :D I sometimes wonder if the actual paint itself plays a factor in bleed. Obviously if the wall is rough and you can't get the tape super flat, but maybe some paints seep worse than others.

Thinking back, the main culprit was when I was glossing, and the gloss I had at the time was like water. I know gloss is runny at the best of times, but this stuff was literally like using water.

Soldato
It just seems a convoluted way of doing it rather than the instructions on the frog tape I'm sure say to wipe a damp cloth over the edge of the tape. That way you can just get straight on with painting the wall without waiting for a lick of ceiling paint to dry first.

Soldato
I agree. Always done it this way.
Ceiling onto walls -> Walls onto skirting -> Skirting to get a tight line.

If you are doing wood work before you are painting emulsion over gloss which will leave a different finish. Unless you are suggesting you cut the wood in absolutely perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom