I wrote & recorded a song about Lockdown/Corona (using freelancers!)

Associate
Hey all

I would love to share with you the first proper song I composed in over 15 years. This is the first time I actually paid some money to make it sound more professional (albeit far from perfect). I've submitted it so it will appear on Spotify etc. shortly also.

Yes it's a parody about COVID and the Lockdown situation (in fact that was the inspiration - me sitting in the house on my own for 3 months...) and it's a follow-up to some songs I wrote as a teenager about a mystical, trickster, god-like creature that appears throughout history causing chaos in different forms. In this case, he orchestrated the virus "Conspiracy" the made humans enslave themselves voluntarily.

It's the first time I've hired singers, a bass player and a producer on a freelance website to do anything music orientated. Guitars and drums (programmed) were me in this case.

Let me know your thoughts - in particular which version you prefer (as i've asked a freelancer to make a "lyric video" for YouTube and need to see which version is best!).

Version 1 (Female + Male singers)

Version 2 (Just male singer)

Thanks!!

Soldato
Ok well it isn't my kind of music at all BUT I'm struggling to hear the vocals. I'm no producer of any kind but can you like...turn them up? Gets drowned out by the guitars.

This is the male vocal version

Associate
OP
Easier to hear with the female vocals as I guess they don't sound similar to the guitars lol. Sounds very avenged sevenfold like.

Haha - yes. I guess my influences are predominately video game music, TV themes (like Power Rangers etc.) and metal... Avenged sevenfold came later for me, but certainly on my playlist

problem with the female vocal is it's a bit out of sync in some parts, so ruins the professionalism... probably fine for a amateur track i guess

Man of Honour
Oh my word, welcome back Carl, it's been a long time.

Up until I finished with my rock band December 2016 I often played your classical track over a 3000 watt PA system.
Remind me what it was again, I'm searching my PC for it.

Got it :)

Soldato
I'm listening on my pc with headphones. Vocals sound ever so slightly quieter than the instruments, but overall I liked it.

Sounds like something from the outrun soundtrack, which is a good thing!

Hang on, something happens around the 4min mark as the vocals are much improved. Maybe the lack of bass.

Soldato
I've listened to it a few times it definitely catches that vibe you were after, like others have said the voice is lost a little in the mix which I guess is why production and mastering is such a key thing when recording. A little tweak on the levels and it would be spot on, I definitely prefer the version with both vocals it gives the track something different

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom