• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i3 2100 and hd7850?

Associate
First off this is my setup its cheap atm but looking to upgrade as time and funds allow:

i3 2100
8gb corsair vengeance
asus ph61 le
asus hd6850
coolermaster gx650 psu.

So my first upgrade is going gpu and iv decided on the new sapphire 7850.
Which is a massive improvement on my current gpu.
But as someone has stated in another thread there might possibly be an issue with my cpu bottlenecking the gpu.
Im relativley new to all this coming from a console background but i got the basics of what goes on.
The question is i uderstand its going to happen but to what extent is it going to be do you guys think?
Is it worth upgrading my cpu before gpu or will my setup cope with the new card enough to game with decent frame rates.
forgive my lack of knowledge we alll have to start somewhere i guess.

Soldato
Grab a i3-2120 for the extra Mhz.
Also a cheaper PSU such as a corsair builder 500w would easily be sufficient for your build

I think he already had the spec in post #1, so going from an i3-2100 to an i3-2120 would be a bit strange.

Yes, you may find there will be a slight bottleneck but the i3-2100 is still a decent budget gaming cpu. I would upgrade to a 7850 first and maybe look to pick up a cheap second hand i5-2300 or 2400 a bit later.

Associate
OP
Yes the spec in 1st post is what im currently running.
So yes no point getting the other i3.
Im assuming then that it will be fine to play most recent games with my cpu?
I forgot to mention it will be at 1080p res aswell.
obviously overclocking the gpu will be minimal due to this fact but i will hang on with cpu upgrade for a while then. Maybe buy a bundle deal later on as il also need to upgrade the mobo with it.
Thanks for the replies.

Soldato
You definitely see a big difference getting a 7850. Have a read of some reviews that show cpu scaling in games such as this one. Most newer games are starting to make full use if four cores but still scale very well with dual cores as they are becoming much new gpu dependent. Remember also that the i5's that aren't overclockable aren't very desirable by the enthusiast community so you may be able to pick up a bargain on certain members markets and classifieds. If not maybe pick up a cheapish Z68 or Z77 board and upgrade to a better cpu later.

Back
Top Bottom