• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 3570K to i7 3770K worth it this late in the day...

Associate
I was commenting on this thread here that I'd recently bought a Vega 56 on Ebay then Overclockers have a deal on a 56 and I wish I hadn't bothered with Ebay. I also asked was I wasting my money/time pairing the vega 56 with my i5 3570K. Davedree said just swap the the 3570K for a 3770K and be good to go for some time. To be fair I have thought about it in the past. Is it worth the swap bearing in mind i7 3770K's seem to sell for certainly no less than £120 to £140. Then of course being s/h you have no idea what it's condition is?

I built my system with components from Overclockers back in 2013. The CPU is installed in an Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 with 16gb of ram and an HD 7950 - though to be replaced with the Vega 56. I've had a few hardware problems of late and the cpu is no longer overclocked though have a good cooler and it did overclock well in the past. I've not done much gaming for some time though lately picked up Skyrim, FEAR and Rise of Flight again and recently purchased Battlefield 1. My monitor is a Dell U2715H, 2560x1440 60hz no G-sync or FreeSync

So is the swap worth it? Is it enough of an upgrade or wasting money on an end of life socket?

Soldato
If you can figure out if the route cause of the issues is your CPU, then yes getting a 3770K is not a terrible idea, but don't pay over £100 for it, if possible. If the cause is the motherboard, then you could look at just getting a normal 3770 non-K so no overclocking but the extra HT threads would help in certain applications/games.

It's only wasting money if you get no use out of it and don't sell it on at the end, it might cost you £50 to own a 3770K for 12-18 months, and if that means you end up with a much better system in the longer term after that, maybe it was money well spent?

you've been on here a long time why don't you use the MM to hunt for some items? :)

Associate
How many posts do you need for the MM "access" these days, I've been a member for god knows how long but for some reason it's tied to how much drivel I can post? At this rate I should be eligible sometime around 2030...

Caporegime
your cpu is worth 40-50 3770 go for about a 100. see them regular on the bay for that. tbh with what ryzen lower end cost id probably either just go that route or flog the 3570k and pay no more than 100 tbh i personally wouldnt pay 100 for a 3770k especially when you can get a ryzen for that much new. which is as fast or slightly faster.

Soldato
The important thingis you have 16gb of ddr3, most people in your position only have 8gb, and that usually puts them off buying more memory, along with the fear of the age of their components.
But then have you seen how much 16gb of ddr4 costs.

It's a shame you never went with a 2600k or a 3770k back in the day because really they are champions of longevity if you bought them from release.

Ryzen is the way to go, (Holding out for Zen2 is more wiser), but after you price it all up like Journey says, will you get the use out of it.

Associate
OP
If you can figure out if the route cause of the issues is your CPU, then yes getting a 3770K is not a terrible idea, but don't pay over £100 for it, if possible. If the cause is the motherboard, then you could look at just getting a normal 3770 non-K so no overclocking but the extra HT threads would help in certain applications/games.

It's only wasting money if you get no use out of it and don't sell it on at the end, it might cost you £50 to own a 3770K for 12-18 months, and if that means you end up with a much better system in the longer term after that, maybe it was money well spent?

you've been on here a long time why don't you use the MM to hunt for some items? :)

I should have explained a little. The cpu is fine. A while back windows 10, free upgrade from 7, updated, or at least left it updating and upon return the computer would not boot. About wet myself as thought accounts, farm records and the lot had gone - then remembered all data and photos on an HD and data backed up in a cloud storage. A lesson there folks though sure everyone here knows that! Long story short SSD wasn't showing in the bios so one of several things was to reset the bios and hence cpu back at stock speed. Bios eventually saw the SSD with windows on and managed to get it too boot. Here was the strange thing in that it booted back into win7? Microsoft had closed the free upgrade offer and I had what I thought was an upgrade key but wasn't accepted. Bought another SSD, downloded 10 onto a flash drive and did a fresh install. Kept the old SSD incase there were any needed files on it then eventually wiped it. Bought a Pro licence from a firm in Holland for £10 and was good to go again. Actually got 2 licences for £20 and upgraded my little intel nuc weather station pc.

Power switch on my old Antec P180 has gone flaky. I thought the PSU had maybe failed as pushing it nothing happened. But pushing the switch extra hard in temper and the machine started to boot. Idiot Labrador pup last year had found the 'opening' front door of the Antec and all but pulled it off. Had it for like ever so time for a change more so as sick of hearing the mrs bitching on about it hanging off. Actually I mended it today - pulled it off :rolleyes:

I do keep an eye out in the members market and either there is nothing there or I'm too late..

your cpu is worth 40-50 3770 go for about a 100. see them regular on the bay for that. tbh with what ryzen lower end cost id probably either just go that route or flog the 3570k and pay no more than 100 tbh i personally wouldnt pay 100 for a 3770k especially when you can get a ryzen for that much new. which is as fast or slightly faster.

The important thingis you have 16gb of ddr3, most people in your position only have 8gb, and that usually puts them off buying more memory, along with the fear of the age of their components.
But then have you seen how much 16gb of ddr4 costs.

It's a shame you never went with a 2600k or a 3770k back in the day because really they are champions of longevity if you bought them from release.

Ryzen is the way to go, (Holding out for Zen2 is more wiser), but after you price it all up like Journey says, will you get the use out of it.

I've not seen a 3770 go for 100 on ebay but then I've been looking at the K versions!

What’s your budget ? Do you have the funds to upgrade ?

I purchased the dell monitor early 17 and recently done a little gaming again. The higher res at 1440 pushed the HD 7950 at times though wasn't really sure if it's the old system. Reading on these forums and got the opinion the graphics card could be holding it back. I bought a Vega 56 for reasonable money s/h (if there is such a thing now). My current system runs Lightroom, Office, Accounts and Business Records etc perfectly fine and an upgrade would only be really for gaming :D

Don't really have a budget but never do. I've always bought an intel cpu and started a couple of months ago looking and about swallowed my tongue when adding up intel cpu, ram, graphics card and so on. I'll probably always go something mid spec and doesn't cost a fortune. Hence the Ryzen bundles look competitive. If push comes to shove I'd have the money as it's tax deductible and vat recoverable if only for stress reduction ;)

I've in the past had an uncanny knack of buying an intel cpu and mobo only for the next gen intel cpu to change the socket, rendering my mobo obsolete. Is AMD as bad?

I think I'd rather wait and spend on a new board and cpu though ram looks expensive currently. May not get cheaper though sure I read it may next year?

Soldato
May not be a bad idea..

I considered similar upgrade ideas to you, eventually decided it was more sensible to put the money into a whole new system.

One thing not mentioned is that you get a new CPU but that a new motherboard opens up a lot more connectivity options. Newer faster PCIE, more/faster USB, m.2 drives, DDR4, cooler running and less energy use. There are a lot of side benefits ;)

Associate
OP
Go 2700x then next year just upgrade to the Ryzen 3000 series...straight swap no new Mobo or ram needed.

Would a Ryzen 5 six core 2600X 4.2GHz be a bad idea? £100 cheaper than 2700x. Then see what Zen2 is like? Is X470 rather than X370 the way to go? Most O/C's bundles seem to go X370 - unless they're just trying to get shot of them :D

I considered similar upgrade ideas to you, eventually decided it was more sensible to put the money into a whole new system.

One thing not mentioned is that you get a new CPU but that a new motherboard opens up a lot more connectivity options. Newer faster PCIE, more/faster USB, m.2 drives, DDR4, cooler running and less energy use. There are a lot of side benefits ;)

I'm kind of thinking the same way. Hopefully I could recover some money by selling my i5 3570K on members market - not a huge ebay fan. I guess my "Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel" will have a value? Is a Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 motherboard worth owt? Actually just had a look on ebay and they're asking £80 for same graphics card as mine - Asus HD 7950. I have access to the members market but have never sold or bought anything on there - presume it'd not be a problem? I'd rather take less and sell on MM rather ebay.

Caporegime
Would a Ryzen 5 six core 2600X 4.2GHz be a bad idea? £100 cheaper than 2700x. Then see what Zen2 is like? Is X470 rather than X370 the way to go? Most O/C's bundles seem to go X370 - unless they're just trying to get shot of them :D

Great idea...in fact you don’t need a high end board with Ryzen..just the feature set you need...

B450 is basically the same as X470 but if you want to run dual gfx cards avoid B450...other than that just look for the features and ports you need.

Last edited:
Associate
If you are going AMD soon with a plan to upgrade into the 7nm Zen 2 in 2019, then I think it would be ideal to go the 2600 route.
Basically get a 6 core/12 threaded CPU for as little as possible and then once Zen 2 hits and prices comes down, upgrade into an 8 core/16 threaded CPU.
Heck, if the 2600 still runs good for you, which it probably will, you could even skip the Zen 2 and wait for its refresh to come out in 2020.
AMD has promised compatibility with the AM4 socket into 2020, so the refresh should still be compatible with a simple bios update.

If you are not in a hurry and can wait around 6 months, then another option is to simple wait for Zen 2 to arrive and upgrade into that.
The benefits to this would be DDR4 ram prices should have come down in price, and you can buy a Zen 2 generation motherboard that might have PCIe4 support, although this is not 100% confirmed yet.

Btw if you are going the B450 motherboard route, I hear good things about the MSI B450 Tomahawk.

Associate
OP
The more I think about it the more my head hurts :rolleyes: I've watched a couple of 3770K's on ebay and jibbed at the last minute thinking it's not really worth going that route.

Is there much difference between B450 and X470 boards?

How do Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz and Ryzen 7 2700X compare with each other. I know it's 6core vs 8 but they are similar money at Overclockers. I've always gone Intel in the past but can go either way now! I ask because I've been very out of touch for the last 3 years and now is somewhat bewildering what with cpu and motherboard choice.

Associate
B450 boards cannot split the CPU PCIe lanes for multi-GPU setups and has less USB3.0 ports.
If you do not plan on using 2 graphic cards and have no need for a ton of fast USB ports, then the B450 boards will be fine.
uikcg3hVXONqfMDf.jpg

Associate
OP
As an update I decided I'd swap out my 3570K for a second hand 3770K for the time being. Watched quite a few on Ebay and always seem to go for for £130+ so scratched that idea. So back to the Ryzen but may wait and see what the new Ryzens and motherboards (probably) are like.

'Strong, the upgrade itch always is' :D More so as not scratched that particular itch since 2013.

G J

G J

Associate
I'd wait to see what black friday deals are about for the Ryzen 2xxx series.

'Strong, the upgrade itch always is' :D More so as not scratched that particular itch since 2013.

Yep and it's more temping at the moment as DDR4 ram pricing seems to be getting abit more resonable.

Back
Top Bottom