• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 6400 to what?

Soldato
Hi.

I might be buying a gaming PC base unit from a work colleague which is made by Zoostorm. I was going to make my own G4560/1050ti budget build but this came up and it has a GTX 1060 6GB inside. Usually I would have declined it but the price is similar to my budget build so it's a no brainer.

Anyway it only has a i5 6400 inside. I was thinking of possibly selling this and the g4560 and putting the money towards another Intel but looking around it seems Intel is extremely poor VFM at the moment. I knew this already as I have been keeping my eye this forum and Ryzen but it seems I would need to put another £100 on top of the money I got for these two Intel CPU's for possibly a sideways move.

What do you think? Would the 6400 choke the 1060?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure what board I have until I see the base unit. I think it is a cheapo job.

What about getting a ASRock K4 MOBO and adjusting the BCLK and trying to overclock the 6400?

Soldato
Yes I will be running at 1080p60hz. Good to know thanks.

At the very least you can try the 6400 and see if it's driving the card OK, and if it isn't then you can look at upgrading. That way, you won't be spending money unnecessarily.

Just check you are getting 99% GPU usage. If not, check that you're getting 60fps. The alarm bell will be 99% CPU usage.

Associate
we got a i5 6400 match with a 1070
no problem in 4k gaming, generally about 50% load
seen it max out on rise of the tomb raider benchmark at 100% for only about 2 sec that's it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks peeps looks like the setup will be fine then.

Fairly low clock on the 6400 but you can overclock it past 4Ghz on a Z170 board with correct bios, big boost in performance.

Can you recommend a Z170 than can clock my 6400. I have read reports on the internet that Intel is not happy about this and is blocking it somehow (possibly through windows updates).

Associate
I'd just stick an i7 6700 and be done. It's got everything else you need. No point forking out a tonne of cash just yet.

At least wait to see what Coffee Lake brings before throwing good money at a couple that you probably might want to change again

Soldato
Nah Intel aint block ****, I'm running a 6500 at 4.4 in Windows 10. They aint going to block it now nearly two years on. Any Z170 board from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and Asrock will do.

But as already said you are probably best picking up a used 6700 off the bay, better future proof than the the 4 thread Intel's. Sell the 6400 on and the Pentium.

Soldato
OP
Well it was price initially. I think I totted up a basic Ryzen build at about £700 ish all new. I haven't gamed in years and I could get bored with it after a month so I decided to do a budget build instead for about £400 with a G4560/1050ti inside and if I get into the gaming again sell it and get a good Ryzen PC, but then this base unit came up for a little extra over the budget build. So I was then thinking with the extra components I had bought for the budget build (CPU + RAM) make two systems and sell one and come away with a i5 gtx1060 build for not much cash.

Anyway after doing some research on the net it looks like the zoostorm MOBO is an MSI B150 Mate which looks pretty decent to me, and the PSU (which I thought would be turd and have to sell along with the mobo) is actually an FSP group PSU and I've heard they are OK. So I think the only thing I have to do with this PC is change the garish case. Saves the hassle of splitting it into two systems and buying extra components.

If I am still gaming in 3 months I will go Ryzen :)

Soldato
Well it was price initially. I think I totted up a basic Ryzen build at about £700 ish all new. I haven't gamed in years and I could get bored with it after a month so I decided to do a budget build instead for about £400 with a G4560/1050ti inside and if I get into the gaming again sell it and get a good Ryzen PC, but then this base unit came up for a little extra over the budget build. So I was then thinking with the extra components I had bought for the budget build (CPU + RAM) make two systems and sell one and come away with a i5 gtx1060 build for not much cash.

Anyway after doing some research on the net it looks like the zoostorm MOBO is an MSI B150 Mate which looks pretty decent to me, and the PSU (which I thought would be **** and have to sell along with the mobo) is actually an FSP group PSU and I've heard they are OK. So I think the only thing I have to do with this PC is change the garish case. Saves the hassle of splitting it into two systems and buying extra components.

If I am still gaming in 3 months I will go Ryzen :)

That makes sense. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom