• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5-7400 worth it over the I3-7100?

Soldato
Next year for Desktop APU's, Q1 '18 right around the Zen refresh, although the mobile APU's should give a decent idea of what to expect. It's going to be a game changer in the lower end market, that's for sure, a 4c/8t part with a Vega GPU equal to that of an RX460 built in, for the price of a low end i5. :)

The laptop ones are out in November(apparently). It does seem they are 4MB L3 cache parts though,so will be interesting to see performance against the Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5. OTH,only one CCX I suspect too,so I wonder if that will help gaming performance in any way??

Man of Honour
Ok, and is 288w not enough for an i3? I'll put this one out to the OCUK staff, you probably sell hundreds of these in office style systems, what is the RMA rate of the item please? @Gibbo will have the return rates since he will work closely with the RMA team being the chief-purchaser bloke.

What about when he comes to add a gpu? If you really think that a £30 psu with a weak 12v rail has anything of quality inside it then you are deluded. I couldn't care less what the shop staff says, until they or Kolink send some off to be independantly reviewed they are rubbish. Once a gpu is added that thing will be near it's limits and that is something I would never advise with a cheap and nasty psu. The psu is not the place to save money.

400w would run this system easy. But the quality of the unit could come into question

It's not capable of anywhere near 400w on the 12v rail where it's needed though. As above, when a gpu is added it will be running flat out, if it even powers it at all and the op will have to buy a replacement. Buy a decent one now and save a lot of hassle later.

Soldato
BTW,if the OP does not mind going for a lower end A320 board,they might be able to get a Ryzen 3 1200,A320 board and a GT1030 for around the same amount of money:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3a6-am.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...am4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-158-ak.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search/index/sSearch/gt1030

The motherboard does look solid for the price although you would need to check if it works out of the box with the Ryzen 3 1200.

OTH,OcUK do also do this Ryzen 3 1200 and A320 motherboard bundle for £140:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...oard-bundle-10-pounds-discount-bu-067-as.html

Just another potential build idea??

Soldato
What about when he comes to add a gpu? If you really think that a £30 psu with a weak 12v rail has anything of quality inside it then you are deluded. I couldn't care less what the shop staff says, until they or Kolink send some off to be independantly reviewed they are rubbish. Once a gpu is added that thing will be near it's limits and that is something I would never advise with a cheap and nasty psu. The psu is not the place to save money.

Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but unless you first hand experience of the junk that is inside then it's pure speculation that they are rubbish, rather than actual fact.

Soldato
OP
Well, label me confused!

Anyone want to spec something under £500 yo build thst will do what I need? With a 120gb SSD and 1 or 2TB storage on top! I guess I could find time to build one!

Winner gets an e-hug!

Soldato
I did some checking,FM2017 only apparently uses a single core for shorter matches,so a G4560 might do the job(put is out of stock at OcUK and many retailers),but the longer 90 minute ones might be a different kettle of fish. However,its hard to say if FM2018 will react differently. The Core i3 8100 will no doubt be quicker CPU wise but OTH,due to the higher CPU cost and motherboard cost you could plonk in a GT1030,which is around GTX750 level.

Here is my suggestion for the alternate build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £483.54
(includes shipping: £11.70)

The RAM is a bit OTT,but you could always run it at the max 2666MHZ the CPU supports but with tighter timings and costs only £10 more than the 2666MHZ RAM on OcUK. The A320 does not support overclocking though.

The case might seem a tad expensive but it actually includes three fans as standard.

The OcUK selection of budget PSUs is not so great as there are some cheaper ones,they don't stock which would be fine. The modular version of the CX450 is another £6 more.

You have another £30 to play with if you exclude postage.

If you don't pay for postage you might be able to eek out a 2TB drive into the build:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tosh...rmance-hard-drive-hdwd120uzsva-hd-045-ts.html

Alternatively you could get a bigger SSD into the build too:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hyni...-hard-drive-hfs250g32tnd-n1a0a-hd-015-sh.html

You could even try to get a B350 based motherboard into the build if you want to overclock.

That £30 could be also spent on getting a faster graphics card into the build like a RX460,RX560 or even a GTX1050.

BTW,I assume you have a copy of Windows already for the computer??​

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the detailed response @CAT-THE-FIFTH

I've not touched AMD in years, so I have some mental stigma about it, especially for a bundle at that price, but overall it does look a good, solid build that would do everything that is needed, I know, as you said the graphics card isn't exactly cutting edge, but as he only really plays FM it'll obviouslly be fine, he's said a fair few times how he wants to start playing more games, but he's now got 2 kids and hasnt played anything else in the last 15 years, I don't believe he'll start now!

The base of that looks good though, thanks, I will definately give that a ot of consideration, like I said, the only thing that worries me is the CPU bundle being so cheap!

Back
Top Bottom