1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

i5 intel 6600k and windows 11

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Big red, 10 Oct 2021.

1. Big red

Gangster

hi guys i have a asus h170 pro mother board with a i5 6600k in it windows says that is not good enough for w11 can anyone advise a cpu that would work with w11 on this board without breaking the bank as i have recently retired and am not flush with money , or am i flogging a dead horse and have to update my whole system .

2. The Old School Gamer

Wise Guy

3. jigger

Capodecina

4. The Old School Gamer

Wise Guy

Not sure tbh, it wouldn't surprise me.

We are holding off installing Windows 11 by default until they sort the performance and other issues out.
    It's like every Microsoft OS release, it takes them a good month or two of patching to get it working right lol.

5. throwaway4372

Gangster

just keep using windows 10 until 2025

6. The Old School Gamer

Wise Guy

No real reason not to stick with W10 for now.
    Unless you going to buy a Alderlake CPU and Z690 mobo next month, then it makes sence.
    But I've not upgraded just for the sake of upgrading.

7. Big red

Gangster

so at the moment my m/board and cpu are at a crossroads ,stick with what i have and w10 or upgrade system m/board,cpu . my system is now 6 years old ,the time passes quickly .

8. Tetras

Mobster

What do you want Win 11 for? Are you a gamer? If you just want the looks I expect there will be updates for that. it's more likely your CPU will bottleneck you before Windows 10 is a problem.

9. Game

Wise Guy

Stick with 10 the only reason I updated my 6600 was first person shooters and playing with friends

Everything else work fine

10. Big red

Gangster

thanks guys i think i will stick with what i have for a while longer