• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 stock voltages...confused

Soldato
I got my i5 setup today (with the GD80 mobo and some G.Skill Ripjaw ram)...yay!

I'm a little confused about stock voltages. I asked in the i5 overclocking thread a couple of days back and was told that it was 1.1. However, my mobo has set it automatically to a little over 1.2, and various websites are concurring with this. There is nowhere, though, which tells you definitively what the stock voltage is...so can anyone help?

I'm starting to wonder whether I'm confused due to my own lack of knowledge; have I been talking at cross purposes with people? Is VID the same as Vcore and stock voltage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Soldato
I'm sure I'm missing something here

Each processor has its own, semi unique default voltage burnt in by intel. This is called the vid. Whenever running at stock in any board, it will run at this voltage and hopefully be stable. There is a range in which this number can fall, I believe its 0.8V to 1.3625V for my 920. My one specifically runs at (its vid of) 1.05V by default.

None of us know what your chips vid is. However if you boot windows on stock settings and ask cpu-z, that voltage is your stock/default/vid.

Sparing some issues with load line calibration (with it off, the bios is a maximum voltage, with it on, the bios is a minimum, and the voltage varies with load in either case), that's the answer to the question as I see it.

Cheers

Soldato
Happy to help :)

It's part of the speed binning I think. Gives rise to the maximum voltages some people throw about, i.e. the highest voltage Intel will ship one running at is taken to be the highest 'safe' voltage.

Soldato
OP
Looks like I've got a bit of a volt-guzzler then, its stock VID is 1.25 or so :(

That said I'm currently running it at 3ghz prime stable on 1.1, so it could be worse!

CSA

CSA

Associate
hhhmm ive got 1.35 going through mine at 4ghz , does this sound like too much ?

idles at 40c load is at 75c

just tried running at fail safe values and its set to just under one volt 0.92

Associate
My i5 750 is also at 1.24V or so.

But there is one catch - CPU-Z can't really handle Lynnfield (Core i5/Core i7 8xx) frequency and voltages very well. The reason is simple - each core has it's own frequency at any given moment at time, and that means different voltage as well. So CPU-Z shows maximum frequency and maximum voltage.

Soldato
OP
hhhmm ive got 1.35 going through mine at 4ghz , does this sound like too much ?

idles at 40c load is at 75c

just tried running at fail safe values and its set to just under one volt 0.92

Don't think so, I've heard tell of people putting 1.4 through them. The way I see it, if it's not too hot, do it!

*I do realise that this goes against what I said earlier about liking a cool and quiet PC, but in my hardcore overclocking moments I up the voltage until the heat stops me.

Man of Honour
Bear in mind though that in my (and others) experiences, you start to get some serious diminishing returns from voltage increases on the i5 750. Beyond 4ghz I have to start giving it silly voltage for even a small increase in clockspeed. I think I'd rather have 4ghz @ 1.35v than 4.1ghz @ 1.4v+ for example.

Associate
I'm sure I'm missing something here

Each processor has its own, semi unique default voltage burnt in by intel. This is called the vid. Whenever running at stock in any board, it will run at this voltage and hopefully be stable. There is a range in which this number can fall, I believe its 0.8V to 1.3625V for my 920. My one specifically runs at (its vid of) 1.05V by default.

None of us know what your chips vid is. However if you boot windows on stock settings and ask cpu-z, that voltage is your stock/default/vid.

Sparing some issues with load line calibration (with it off, the bios is a maximum voltage, with it on, the bios is a minimum, and the voltage varies with load in either case), that's the answer to the question as I see it.

Cheers

My I7 920 DO requires the following voltage in the bios;

3.6 = 1.12500

3.8 = 1.15000

4.0 = 1.22500

Notice the voltage increase against speed gain?
At stock setting my voltage plays between .98v to 1.12v.
That said, there's not much to gain beyond 4.0 with any CPU unless you're benching, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom