• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 2700k, is it worth an upgrade?

Soldato
I fully understand the context. I've owned both, and 1 is the price of an i7 with the gaming performance of an i5.
One hardware reviewer got it perfect.
A king in applications
A prince in gaming

Soldato
What graphics card do you have and what resolution do you play at??

One word of advice - if the games you play all seem to run fine,then don't bother. The longer you wait in CPU land the better the upgrade you will get.

He is sooo right as I was disappointed upgrading from my [email protected] to i5 [email protected]. I didn't really notice any worth while performance in games and I really thought the E8400 was bottlenecking my 6950 gpu. Boy was I wrong as I could have kept the E8400 system for a few more months or yrs even...I upgraded way too soon, dont do the same thing, as I was pushed into the upgrade, as people told me I would notice a huge difference.

Associate
Depends on what you use it for - if you want to run emulators such as cemu then ipc is still king. Its not even clear cut with gaming as some games are more multi threaded than others and some are more gpu dependant. The new intel 8400 is probably a safe bet for decent ipc with 6 cores/threads. Personally the 1700 amd ryzen is what I would get as it seems a bargain for an 8 core 16 thread super computer even if the ipc is slightly behind.

Soldato
1080ti 1080p 144hz you will certainly notice a difference.

24ypsup.png

Man of Honour
When PC's first came out, power usually doubled with each release of a CPU. That was noticeable. But as the relative power increases started to decline, 50% was about the lowest increase you would notice an overall increase in speed with your PC. 30% was definitely "not sure it's faster" and it was soon after that everyone started to rely on benchmarks to tell us whether the latest generation was faster or not. Today I think that generally it's a good idea to miss one generation, if you want it to be "noticeable" without using a benchmark. So yes, I think it's time to upgrade. The difference between a 2700 and 8700 should be tangible. Of course, as with everything, it depends what you use the CPU for ~ if you are trying to achieve crazy frame-rates, or you have a slowdown in a particular application, then yes, it will make a worthwhile difference, but if you are already happy then no, it's not worth it.

I'd say nowadays there is a case for missing two generations minimum. Sandybridge to Coffee Lake is a proper upgrade. I have Ivybridge and still on the fence.

Caporegime
do you have a modern monitor which has 120/144hz then even at 1080 there is massive fps boosts to be had and generally gaming from newer cpus.

id say to people on older gen cpus go try them somewhere.you will see its worth upgrading to newer intel cpus.from anything sandybridge/ivybridge.

Associate
With a 6 core Coffee Lake and 1080Ti at 720P max settings. In more realistic tests with anything other that type of config then you will see very different results.

not really, any i5 prior to coffelake will bottleneck anything higher than 980/580/1060 in those games at 1080p

I imagine 4c/4t i5s or older i7s with 1070 or higher is a terrible experience

Back
Top Bottom