i7 4790k Overclocking on ASRock H97M

Soldato
Got a temporary motherbaoard whilst mines being looked into.

Noticed my CPU will only boost to 4.2Ghz when it should be 4.4Ghz. So I ran the OC Tweak tool found in the ASRock Utilities software and it overclocked my cpu to... 4.2Ghz? Why won't it go higher?

My Gigabyte Z97X-UD3-BK overclocked to 4.7Ghz.

Soldato
OP
Update: I enabled the XMP profile for my RAM and I now get 4.4Ghz :cool:

I saw this video on YouTube, I've never done overclocking the manual way. Does this method look safe?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Those are hard to come by these days hence I got the next best thing. Looking at that video you can do it on this motherboard.

Man of Honour
It's not the next best thing if it can't overclock. I haven't watched the video (hate video guides) but it's a guide for the Z97 Pro 4 not a H97 board. Before you go buying anything go into the bios and see if you have any overclocking options that you are able to change.

Soldato
OP
I've got this page in the BIOS:

OC%20Tweek.jpg

I was hoping for an "Auto Tune" option but there isn't one. The BIOS in that video is very similar to this one so I'm assuming I can use the same values he uses.

Man of Honour
You won't know until you try. Having the options is all well and good but being able to use them can be a completely different matter altogether. It may let you change the values but it may not save them or you might not even be able to change them. Until you try changing them and saving them and boot into windows we won't know.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I don't want to risk it as I don't have experience. My cpu boosts to 4.4ghz anyway, it used to boost to 4.7ghz on my old mobo but that's not much of a difference from stock.

Soldato
OP
Mnaged to get some gaming in last night. On my Gigabyte Z37X-UD3H board I used to get around 80 FPS average in Rainbow 6: Seige. I'm now getting around 70 FPS, could that be because my CPU isn't overclocked to 4.7Ghz anymore?

Soldato
OP
I agree wedrum although I do miss the 100+ number in the top left corner lol

I think it's a mixture if having a weaker motherboard and none overclocked CPU. Tempted to get that Gigabyte 1080 G1 that's on offer for £480. This ASRock H97M mobo had pci-e 3.0 so I should see the full benefits of it.

Back
Top Bottom