I7 7820X at Stock - Air or AIO?

Associate
Could someone kindly recommend a decent cooler for the above CPU being run at stock?

I'm tempted by an AIO corsair solution, but I've seen a few horror stories regarding VRM temps that makes me think a more regular air cooler would be a better bet?

Buying a new case too, likely the Corsair Crystal 460x, along with a blower style 1080ti, if there considerations for air flow through the case.

Soldato
Could someone kindly recommend a decent cooler for the above CPU being run at stock?

I'm tempted by an AIO corsair solution, but I've seen a few horror stories regarding VRM temps that makes me think a more regular air cooler would be a better bet?

Buying a new case too, likely the Corsair Crystal 460x, along with a blower style 1080ti, if there considerations for air flow through the case.
I like to use 140mm fan coolers because they give most coolers and are quieter doing it. Phanteks PH-TC14PE are £49.99, and that's a very good cooler at a very good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/air-cooling/coolers/cpu?ckMin=4017&ckMax=7151&ckTab=0&sSort=2

Many tests have shown top tier air coolers to be as good and sometimes better than CLCs .. and to p tier air is better at same noise levels. Don't believe the reviews that test in a case using room ambient air temp as baseline air temp. They are not comparing cooler against cooler, but how different coolers perform in a given case, and these cases rarely have enough airflow to supply cooler with cool air. CLC are usually drawing air from outside of case, meaning air is much cooler .. 5-25c cooler .. so of course CLCs will end up cooler CPU better. Basic rule of thumb is ever degree warmer the air going into cooler is translates into a degree cooler the CPU is.

Crystal 460x with 3x front intakes should flow enough air to keep things cool.

Associate
OP
I like to use 140mm fan coolers because they give most coolers and are quieter doing it. Phanteks PH-TC14PE are £49.99, and that's a very good cooler at a very good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/air-cooling/coolers/cpu?ckMin=4017&ckMax=7151&ckTab=0&sSort=2

Many tests have shown top tier air coolers to be as good and sometimes better than CLCs .. and to p tier air is better at same noise levels. Don't believe the reviews that test in a case using room ambient air temp as baseline air temp. They are not comparing cooler against cooler, but how different coolers perform in a given case, and these cases rarely have enough airflow to supply cooler with cool air. CLC are usually drawing air from outside of case, meaning air is much cooler .. 5-25c cooler .. so of course CLCs will end up cooler CPU better. Basic rule of thumb is ever degree warmer the air going into cooler is translates into a degree cooler the CPU is.

Crystal 460x with 3x front intakes should flow enough air to keep things cool.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful :)

Associate
OP
I've just spotted the Cryorig A40 AIO cooler... with its directable fan on top of the CPU block for specifically keeping airflow up around the CPU socket. Thoughts? :)

Soldato
I actually use the Supermicro SKT2011 cooler but that's pretty industrial. I would suggest a Bequiet Slim Silent. Even with the 140mm fan at full blast its hardly audible. That said that was with the 7800X and 7820X. If you can afford it go for a Corsair or any other 240mm AIO.

DO NOT Buy the Arctic i11 as they really are terrible..

Back
Top Bottom