• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I7-8086k CPU temp spikes hitting 100°C!

Associate
So to start off my chip was ordered from OCUK and has been professionally delidded and pre-binned. This was last summer. Usually my temps at idle would be around 30-35°C, playing games would sit around 65-75°C. But last week, I noticed a couple of the cores spiking all the way to 100°C. This wasn't while playing games, but when booting up, launching apps such as firefox etc. So I thought maybe my old H115i pump has died, I was planning on replacing it soon anyway. So I ordered the newer H150i (from OCUK again) and yeah all my temps are lower than normal but still the same cores are spiking to 100°C. I have no idea why this is happening or what to do now to resolve it. I'm at a loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CPU has been OC'd to 5.0GHz @ 1.34v since the summer when I built the system, and I've never had issues up until last week.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xlhcGef

Soldato
^Agreed ive had it where i've put too much of an area on the IHS meaning it has spread out too much with poor contact on the die resulting in a few cores with high temps. Liquid metal usually last ages, ive had cpu's gpu's with it on for a couple years now without issue. Just depends how it is applied.

If it still has warranty then i would return it to ocuk as it will just need a re-application. If not then delid and repaste with liquid metal yourself. Or send it away to one of those services on ebay for a repaste, like £10 or something if you dont feel confident, dont have the tools etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys. The chip is still under warranty so I'm going to call OCUK tomorrow. I wasn't expecting the liquid metal to fail on me if I'm honest, especially only having the chip 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom