i7 8700k Kraken x52 bad temps

Associate
Hello everyone,
So I've been playing around with my i7 8700k and looking for a good sweet spot for performance vs temperatures. I noticed that at a laughable 1.136v 4.5GHz clock my temps are ridiculous, with core#2 reaching around/over 81c.
I am running a Strix Z370-F and a Kraken x52 AIO.
Enhanced Turbo Boost is off and all of that automatic adjustment jazz.
AIDA64 stress test:
https://ibb.co/hy72Uz

I've re-seated the cooler once already and also switched out the thermal paste to Arctic Silver IV and haven't seen much of a difference.
Is the TIM on it really that horrible or am I doing something wrong?

Associate
OP
I know they're not max temps, I idle at 35c plus-minus. For gaming, I think I had around 65c but I don't have time to run any tests atm. My point is that people can hit 4.9GHz at around 1.25v and still barely hit the 80's in temperature while when I go for this kind of overclock, I am reaching 95c AIDA64 stress testing.

Soldato
Firstly, it's fairly common to delid an 8700k right off the bat. There's a reason for that: some chips just run hotter than others until it's done.

Some people also have better cooling, case airflow, and louder fans than others. Have you looked at those factors?

Associate
OP
Yeah I guess I will have to delid to be comfortable with my cpu. It's something that I'm not really confident in as it would be my first, and bricking a brand new 8700k is the last thing I want to do lol. I have really good airflow in my case, I have a Corsair Crystal 570x (3 fans front & 1 exhaust). Positive pressure, I run them at 60% for low noise, but the high temps are achieved pretty much from the start and they don't really go down, only a little up once the liquid temp hits 37c. I am sure though that a 240 rad isn't that bad?

Soldato
Delidding really isn't difficult at all, with the tool it's a couple of minutes to do and since the threads on the allen key are small you really can't go do damage unless you screw it all the way in... you'll definitely know when the lid is free as it'll move freely.

You'll knock 15-20c off those temps immediately.

Soldato
Hello everyone,
So I've been playing around with my i7 8700k and looking for a good sweet spot for performance vs temperatures. I noticed that at a laughable 1.136v 4.5GHz clock my temps are ridiculous, with core#2 reaching around/over 81c.
I am running a Strix Z370-F and a Kraken x52 AIO.
Enhanced Turbo Boost is off and all of that automatic adjustment jazz.
AIDA64 stress test:
https://ibb.co/hy72Uz

I've re-seated the cooler once already and also switched out the thermal paste to Arctic Silver IV and haven't seen much of a difference.
Is the TIM on it really that horrible or am I doing something wrong?
How old is your Kraken x52 CLC? While all CLCs are a sub-group of AIO, they are factory sealed systems and not at all like AIOs that have threaded fittings, copper radiators, fill port for sevicing and a better pump. Kraken X52 is Asetek OEM. Some of us think they are not worth using.

Associate
OP
How old is your Kraken x52 CLC? While all CLCs are a sub-group of AIO, they are factory sealed systems and not at all like AIOs that have threaded fittings, copper radiators, fill port for sevicing and a better pump. Kraken X52 is Asetek OEM. Some of us think they are not worth using.
It's brand new. I know that even air coolers can match or even outperform AIO's but I just went with aesthetics and ease of use. Once again, I am pretty sure that this cooler should be able to handle 1.13v a little better! Didn't really consider a custom loop as that costs more money and requires more knowledge... I guess.

Back
Top Bottom