i7-9700K build advice

Associate
I'm looking to build a i7 system reusing my some components from my current computer so I'm hoping someone can spec me a Cooler, Micro-ATX board, 16gb ram and case to go with the chip. I'd prefer the plainest black box case possible really.

Cheers

Ps it's mainly for gaming and I'm pretty set on the i7 however I've read in the cpu section of the forums that the AMD 3700x is a very good chip too so if you've got a good argument why I should go that direction and a suggestion of parts I'll definately consider it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking to build a i7 system reusing my some components from my current computer so I'm hoping someone can spec me a Cooler, Micro-ATX board, 16gb ram and case to go with the chip. I'd prefer the plainest black box case possible really.

Cheers

Ps it's mainly for gaming and I'm pretty set on the i7 however I've read in the cpu section of the forums that the AMD 3700x is a very good chip too so if you've got a good argument why I should go that direction and a suggestion of parts I'll definately consider it :)

16 threads v 8. Higher 0.1% low fps in some titles that really like to use threads. Potentially more longevity. Better value for money.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £587.56 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Good airflow case, window but not tempered glass.

The Crucial RAM overclocks well and there's a good thread about it in the Memory forum.

Only £20 difference between 3700X and 3800X just now.

Associate
OP
16 threads v 8. Higher 0.1% low fps in some titles that really like to use threads. Potentially more longevity. Better value for money.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £587.56 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Good airflow case, window but not tempered glass.

The Crucial RAM overclocks well and there's a good thread about it in the Memory forum.

Only £20 difference between 3700X and 3800X just now.

I've been reading up more on the AMD chips and they do seem like a good choice so thank you very much :) those suggestions are perfect and I'm just going to order now, hopefully I'll be in time to get it tomorrow as I can't wait lol

Cheers

Soldato
No worries. Good luck with the build. :)

You can manually overclock all cores, or just set PBO. Each has their trade-offs. Would say PBO better for gaming as it allows single cores to clock higher in short bursts, whereas manual all-core overclock could benefit with frequent rendering.

Associate
I know Ryzen is newer tech and i7 9700k is over 1 year old. But I think Intel still has the upper hand just in games. I nearly jumped on the ryzen bandwagon. But still going to buy the i7 9700k over Christmas. Having just sold my old i5 3570k. That I7 will last at least 5 years.

Associate
I'm having to decide between these CPUs as well. Really tempted to just go 9700k even if it's about £80 more (I don't want to use a stock cooler if I went AMD). I've had problems with AMD in the past, which are probably a non issue nowadays, like frame pacing and had BIOS updates.

Soldato
I know Ryzen is newer tech and i7 9700k is over 1 year old. But I think Intel still has the upper hand just in games. I nearly jumped on the ryzen bandwagon. But still going to buy the i7 9700k over Christmas. Having just sold my old i5 3570k. That I7 will last at least 5 years.

How does it have the upper hand in games ? Surely that depends on the resolution and gpu ? At 1080p with a 2080 ti then yes. At 1440p with a 5700XT then not really much difference if any. And at 4K even less so. Not trying to put you off Intel but there is more to it than 'X' is better than 'Y'.

Associate
I'm an idiot who wants to buy a 9700k for 1080p 60hz xD Probably overkill lol. I've tried 144hz but I'm not a fan of variable refresh in MMO games or very UI centric, highly fluctuating frame rate games. I don't like how one moment the refresh rate is smooth and clear and the next it's blurry. I'd rather have a consistent refresh rate. I guess I'm on my own when it comes to this, because most people consider VRR amazing. Some games I play barely manage 60fps because they are highly CPU intensive. Honestly wish I could just go 4k @ 60hz but even a 2080 ti struggle to get 60 FPS in a lot of games. Resolution/render scaling is amazing in games that support it though, such as running at 80% Resolution yet still maintaining a crisp 4K UI.

I have no idea why I'm writing all this lol xD

Associate
How does it have the upper hand in games ? Surely that depends on the resolution and gpu ? At 1080p with a 2080 ti then yes. At 1440p with a 5700XT then not really much difference if any. And at 4K even less so. Not trying to put you off Intel but there is more to it than 'X' is better than 'Y'.

LOL.
Intel can clock miles better then sunshine ryzen. Also fella... 5700XT is no good for me as I'm using G-sync 144hz rog swift

Associate
LOL.
Intel can clock miles better then sunshine ryzen. Also fella... 5700XT is no good for me as I'm using G-sync 144hz rog swift

Does it bother you when frames drop from 144 to, say 70? I hate how I can feel the refresh rate drop (blurrier and less responsive).

Associate
Yeah I agree it's generally amazing. It just sucks in games that regularly drop from 100+ to 60. It's like on desktop if you drag a window around at 60hz compared to 144hz. You can tell the difference no matter how smooth it is. Gsync dropping from 100 to 60... Yeah it's smooth, but I can see the blur and feel the response. I'd rather just have a consistent refresh rate. I've tried dropping the refresh rate to say a set 85hz, which is pretty smooth, but then a lot of monitors have janky overdrive at anything but their native refresh rate. I've returned an AD27QD, PG279Q, Dell S2716DG, VG279Q and AW3418DW. They all sucked. I guess it's personal taste. Wish they made more premium 75hz monitors. xD No matter how money i throw at monitors and VRR it never feels right.

Associate
Yeah I agree it's generally amazing. It just sucks in games that regularly drop from 100+ to 60. It's like on desktop if you drag a window around at 60hz compared to 144hz. You can tell the difference no matter how smooth it is. Gsync dropping from 100 to 60... Yeah it's smooth, but I can see the blur and feel the response. I'd rather just have a consistent refresh rate. I've tried dropping the refresh rate to say a set 85hz, which is pretty smooth, but then a lot of monitors have janky overdrive at anything but their native refresh rate. I've returned an AD27QD, PG279Q, Dell S2716DG, VG279Q and AW3418DW. They all sucked. I guess it's personal taste. Wish they made more premium 75hz monitors. xD No matter how money i throw at monitors and VRR it never feels right.

I don't wear glasses. But do you wear them?

Soldato
LOL.

You make it sound like overclocking is going to make a huge difference when it isn't. If you look at the review below for example there is not a massive leap when going from stock to 5.1GHz in the games they tested. And that is at 1080p which should favour Intel.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-cpu,5876.html

I am not suggesting that you buy a 5700XT. I was just giving you an example.

Back
Top Bottom