• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i9900k new pc build or wait for new gen Intel or Ryzen?

Associate
Hi guys,

I want some advice on whether to upgrade my 5 1/2 year old pc now or wait for a few more months. My current setup is a i7 4770k @ 4.3ghz and I've picked up a GTX1080ti to go with it. I know the cpu is bottle-necking the system a tad, so I'm itching to upgrade to a completely new build (this machine will go to my Dad for Photoshop work) but I want to know if I'd be a fool to do it now or not?

I've been reading about the latest AMD stuff like the 3900x with all it's threads and cores etc. but none of them seem to be particularly useful for gaming at the moment. Is that fair to say?

I've been putting together builds centered around the i9-9900k, and I'm thinking of upgrading the gtx1080ti at a later date to an rtx2080ti if the super comes out/prices drop.

I don't really do much multi-tasking or video editing, some Photoshop/Lightroom work, and usually the latest pc games. I'm using an Alienware 34" 3440x1440 monitor @ 120hz, so I know I need some graphics grunt!

What would you recommend in terms of going for something now, or whether Intel would release the next gen of stuff fairly soon? I'm open to the Ryzen offerings, and even if I don't massively utilise all the extra threads and cores NOW, I'm curious as to whether developers and games in the near future are actually going to support all these extra threads and cores?

Thanks in advance for any help/support.

Budget is around £2000, I'll pop my own gtx1080ti into the new machine for now I think.

Associate
The 3900 and 3950 are withing about 5-10% of the top FPS in games as a 9900k - i dont understand why folk say they are crap in games lol
There is literally nothing in it. However in everything else the Zen2 chips dominate.

Soldato
Not really fair to say. The 3900x will play anything you chuck at it. With the 1080ti you will be GPU bottle-necked. As you're gaming at a fairly high res I'd certainly think about changing the GPU - I'm still using my 1080ti but plan on changing it soon. With £2k you can potentially get the 3950x as well and still have money left towards a graphics card then sell the 1080ti and get a 2080ti.

Would I wait? Well I haven't. I've been waiting for around 5 years and the Ryzen stuff (coming from Intel) really made me want to upgrade for the first time in a good while. The Intel stuff, for me, has too many security holes in it. I couldn't buy a processor knowing that it was hamstrung (i.e. disable hyper threading) and then needed several patches that lower performance before I could use it. You can wait and wait and wait. There will always be speculation and something else around the corner. The cores in the 3700x I have do get used doing general tasks. I run VMware, for example, and I can easily run multiple VMs.

It's, ultimately, your choice.

M.

Soldato
The 3900 and 3950 are withing about 5-10% of the top FPS in games as a 9900k - i dont understand why folk say they are crap in games lol
There is literally nothing in it. However in everything else the Zen2 chips dominate.

the 3950x is vapor ware, may as well be waiting for the 4950x then

TrM

TrM

Associate
whilst you say the 3900x isn't useful for gaming it is very very good for gaming and not far behind a 9900k at all.

i rock a 3900x and 2080ti and game at 1440p and its perfect. yes a 9900k is faster with a 2080ti at 1080p but thats the only time it is any other gcard or 1440p and the cpu's 9900k and 3900x and 3950x no real differnce at all.

i cant really see intel adding much over the 9900k in any meaningful way over the 9900k/s in gaming terms really and before people call me a amd fanboy:) intel 9900k is widly concidered the fastest gaming chip due to 1080p and 2080ti performance that adding 2 extra cores is there prio not massive per core gains that if the 10900 or what ever it is called is a 10 core version of 9900k job done for intel

Soldato
whilst you say the 3900x isn't useful for gaming it is very very good for gaming and not far behind a 9900k at all.

i rock a 3900x and 2080ti and game at 1440p and its perfect. yes a 9900k is faster with a 2080ti at 1080p but thats the only time it is any other gcard or 1440p and the cpu's 9900k and 3900x and 3950x no real differnce at all.

i cant really see intel adding much over the 9900k in any meaningful way over the 9900k/s in gaming terms really and before people call me a amd fanboy:) intel 9900k is widly concidered the fastest gaming chip due to 1080p and 2080ti performance that adding 2 extra cores is there prio not massive per core gains that if the 10900 or what ever it is called is a 10 core version of 9900k job done for intel

The problem you have is that you're investing into a dead platform. The 9900k leaves you with no real upgrade route. You'd have to buy new CPU & motherboard for an upgrade.
It might be quicker, but it's also defunct at this point I think. They've dug themselves a hole and it would be madness to buy one now.

Associate
OP

Yeah sorry, I wasn't sure where was best to put it!

I'm quite intrigued about the 3900x, but I was leaning more towards Intel as it seemed to be still giving the best fps in games, I guess though the real question is will more games now support the advantages of all the multi-cores and threads the amd stuff offer? that's what I really want to know, I mean, if games don't really use them, the 3900x could have 100 cores and it wouldn't be better than the i9900k with it's 8 cores for me. AMD certainly seem like they're creating some amazing stuff now, I'm quite tempted to jump ship as it were, and I'll definitely pickup a 2080ti in the near future!

Hmm this is a tough one!

Associate
Well yeah the 3950 is in short supply right now but heck its just been released and it is a rarer part than say the 3900 which is easily available.

I bet almost everyone will not be able to tell the different between a 3900,3950 a 9900k and 9900ks in games without benchmarks. They really are all pretty close.
Heck the 9700 and 3700 are not far behind and once you get to 4k then it doesnt matter a jot.

Of course folk still think Intel is the "superior" make, not sure why to be honest as they are full of security holes, on an old process with an architecture about as old as the dinosaurs.

Soldato
3700X or the 3800X are both below MSRP at the moment and are excellent gaming CPU's at your resolution and GPU makes more of a difference at those resolutions. CPU not so much. You have upgrade options going the AM4 route as they have another generation compatible (4000). Whilst the 9900k/ks is a monster chip the platform wont offer any upgrade, even short term.

Will developers use the cores? Good question and the PS5 is rumoured to have AMD processors. I think they will have to as I think frequency increases will be minimal and wont yield as well as lithography gets smaller.

I'd go AM4 now. Get some decent RAM 3600Mhz + (though 3200Mhz is very Overclockable on Ryzen 2.

Depending on your cooling I'd try that 4770k at 4.5Ghz to alleviate some bottle necking. Though I did notice a considerable upgrade from my 3770K @ 4.5 Ghz with my 3800X.

Though a 9900k is a beast and will probably see you through a 2080ti and at least a GPU upgrade after that. Dunno if I'd bother with waiting for next gen intel. I don't think they'll knock AMD out of the park due to more cores. Clock speed of those cores on 10nm maybe for gaming is a possibility but its a bit of an unknown.

Associate
OP
Hmm. Is there any info on when the new Intel 10nm stuff will be released? if it's only a month or two I'll definitely wait to see I think, have there been any issues using nvidia gpus with amd processors? I've always had Intel since the Athlon days so I have no real experience if I was to change!

TrM

TrM

Associate
Hmm. Is there any info on when the new Intel 10nm stuff will be released? if it's only a month or two I'll definitely wait to see I think, have there been any issues using nvidia gpus with amd processors? I've always had Intel since the Athlon days so I have no real experience if I was to change!

no real information a lot of leaks and roumors etc but no defentive specs yet but i take everything that is leaked to be fake before we get the real information streight from the makers own marketing bumbff

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm just reading now about the 3950x.. looks like it'll be a beast. I'm starting to lean towards that, but I'll be gutted if Intel spring some insane 10th gen that has higher clocks and more or less the same threads..

Soldato
have there been any issues using nvidia gpus with amd processors? I've always had Intel since the Athlon days so I have no real experience if I was to change!

Nope, 1080ti with 3800X here.

Current AMD processors you can't/dont really need to do any OC'ing. THere IS PBO & Auto overclocking and manual overclocking for all core. But fact of the matter is they make little difference, there are no big frequency gains to be had on AMD processors like there are on Intel processors. A manual all core overclcock may be useful if you used all cores heavily for content creation.

INtel and a 9900k you'll need to OC to get it to 5Ghz and a decent cooling solution to do it. The ks is a gauranteed 5Ghz all core OC.

AMD does benefit from an AIO or air cooler better than the stock but a 5GHz 9900 will need some decent cooling as they do produce some heat at high frequencies.

WIth AMD CPU's there is some decent gains to be had which directly transpose to fps, from increasing RAM frequency, RAM OC'ing. Or just buy high frequency RAM with the sweet spot being 3600Mhz. May 3200 kits will OC to 3600Mhz but currently, for the price you may aswell get native 3600Mhz. DDR4 is cheap currently but I did see an article today where they reckon DDR4 prices could rise again. Early BIOS's for early adopters did require some time spent fettling with RAM and I was n00b at that, but current BIOS's and AGESA revisions have expanded the RAM compatibility and most will run natively now just from loading the XMP values. Get a decent Samsung B-die kit and the TEamgroup RAM kits binned by 8 pack are excellent value for money.

I think the RRP for the 3900X was £480 but still it's ~£520 currently. But the 3700X and 3800X are below RRP. What you save on the CPU you can spend on better RAM kit and MOBO.

Only he X570 chipset has PCI-E 4 which does allow Gen 4 NvMe drives to be purchased but these are expensive, but again another upgrade path drive wise that the X570 platform does have. One issue many people perceive is that the X570 chip sets have a fan on the MOBO for cooling as the X570 platform has some hefty VRM's. I don't notice my fan at all on mine as it;s in the case and most MOBO software allows custom curves to be applied. Though you don't have to have X570, as Ryzen 3000 does run well on older AM4 boards. Though for the future (which is unknown) we don't know what Ryzen 4000 CPU's will require.

I have a £160 X570 MOBO and it runs my 3800X with 5/8 cores that will boost (temporarily) to 4.6Ghz+ and the rest to 4.55Ghz. Ryzen processors run on an algorithm within the AGESA that is limited by temperature and the ability of the MOBO and does all the OC'ing for you.

Associate
Just get a R5 3600, MSI B450 Max, and Vulcan T 3200 DDR4 16Gb for less than 400 quids. When Gen3 drops you might not even feel the need to upgrade the cpu and invest on a new gpu instead.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

If you dont mind waiting, then zen3 is about half a year away and will bring crazy improvements even over the current zen2

Back
Top Bottom