IAM Developer

Soldato
At the moment I am a Java developer using JEE, JSF, JPA, Javascript, CSS and REST web servicess, using weblogic as the applapplica server . Part of my job is to interface with IAM type products such as Oracle OAM and OID, I have also used oauth2 with jwtj

A few weeks ago I was contacted out of the blue by an ex colleague who is now a principal consultant of the IAM sector of security at a large services provider in the UK, wondering if I was interested in new opportunities. Obviously it has piqued my interest. So currently they don't really have any developers per se and they interface with products such as forge rock, cyberark and sailpoint. I'd be coming on and receiving training in sailpoint using java and something called beanshell (which I've never heard of). Going forward I'd be using okta, reactjs and Java microservices.

The role would be mostly home based, with a potential 20% pay rise. My concerns however are I don't believe they have a proper development environment setup and the glassdoor review of company is terrible. However working from home could be good if a little lonely, the pay rise welcome and I think the security sector would be good to get into.

Thoughts ? I've already had a couple of chats with the boss and today one of the guys who works with sailpoint which have gone ok, no official job offer yet but it's starting to look likely

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just some random thoughts/questions:

By security sector is the company itself security related or is it some large company and you're going to be a developer in the security team?

If the former then is your dev role related to their product/services they sell or is it some internal role?

Are the glass door reviews bad across the board or are they concerning specific areas? I mean suppose you were a developer or some other IT person going for a job in a call centre, bad reviews getting skewed by call centre workers don't necessarily reflect badly on some team you might be working in... ditto to perhaps some retailer and reviews from warehouse staff.

20% raise and working from home could be nice + if you're friends with the CTO then surely that's pretty useful too, especially if he's specifically reached out to you for this role.

Soldato
OP
They provide IT services security is just one part of it.

The role is about developing integrations around a number of IAM products they use to suit the clients needs.

The bad reviews seem to be around a number of redundancies that have happened over the last few years, sending jobs offshore etc.

Soldato
By 'development environment' do you mean stuff like source code control, bug tracking, build and CI servers ? All that stuff is easy enough to set up or go via a provider like atlassian or Trello.

Or are you referring to the people part of it - Analysts to capture the requirements, ops people to keep systems running smoothly ?

Commissario
Don't worry about Beanshell, it's just a slight variation to Java - I use it with Jmeter and there's a lot of similarities, you'll manage just fine :)

Associate
the glassdoor review of company is terrible.
Be a bit careful using this as a guide, take everything with a pinch of salt. It's like leaving feedback for an Amazon purchase or something - people need some motivation, usually of the negative kind, to post anything. My own company, for example, has fairly bad reviews on Glassdoor but my own experience is that it's a great place to work. I've also heard of places requiring employees to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor, so it works both ways.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Not a bad area of security to be involved in, guess it partly depends which vendor/provider, but there's plenty about and think it sounds interesting :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers! :)

Had the contract through via email now so I'll be handing in my notice next week. One question though the offer is subject to background checks (which I'm confident will be OK) but I should I actually be waiting for those to complete before handing in my notice?

Caporegime
Well what is the alternative? Do you have a gap between your end date (if you hand your notice in now) and your start date at the new firm? Have they given you a start date? Usually this is based on your notice period.

Unless you've hidden something from them what are you worried about the background check finding?

Back
Top Bottom