ICE setup......any thoughts?

Soldato
I've been looking at a basic budget ICE setup for my 02 focus for a couple of weeks now....this is where i've got.

HU - Apline 9853
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3454.html

AMP - JBL 75.4
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2911.html

Comps - Rainbow SLX 265 deluxe
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3966.html

SUB - Alpine 1022D with box
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3897.html

Going to run it off 4 guage power.

Don't really want to go above the £550 mark for the complete install....anything there i should be considering changing?

Associate
I got all my gear off that site, tis very good.

Have you looked at the packages on offer, my package consisted of 2x1000 watt JBL subs + box 1400 watt Crunch amp and wiring kit for £280 which I thought was pretty good

Soldato
i like the idea (ive been mucking about with ICE for about 10 years) i like simple setups, its the most effective way to do it.

nice comps up front, single sub, amps.

i think the amp will be the weak link. its fine for up front but i dont think it will have enough grunt for the sub.

the sub say 1500w (so 750rms maybe?)

with subs its a good idea to have 10% more power than necessary as "headroom" so that the amp is not stressed.

a stressed amp will effect the sound of the sub and can eventually kill the sub due to clipping

good start tho

personally, my favourite budget way of doing a sys was a nice head unit... use the 4 output to biamp the front components

then an amp and sub

i am dying to get a cheap car to stick my amp and sub in this summer

Soldato
OP
the sub rating is 200-500rms....

i know what you mean about power....but i've not got the funds to get a mono amp to shove the power it needs.

Bridging the spare two channels will give me 285wrms.....so should do a reasonable job of powering it.?

Soldato
OP
Matt82 said:
i like the idea (ive been mucking about with ICE for about 10 years) i like simple setups, its the most effective way to do it.

nice comps up front, single sub, amps.

i think the amp will be the weak link. its fine for up front but i dont think it will have enough grunt for the sub.

the sub say 1500w (so 750rms maybe?)

with subs its a good idea to have 10% more power than necessary as "headroom" so that the amp is not stressed.

a stressed amp will effect the sound of the sub and can eventually kill the sub due to clipping

good start tho

personally, my favourite budget way of doing a sys was a nice head unit... use the 4 output to biamp the front components

then an amp and sub

i am dying to get a cheap car to stick my amp and sub in this summer

when you say use the 4 output, do you mean effectively bridge the 4 channels from the HU itself?

Soldato
nope..... you can bi amp the comps.

front left and right do the tweeters

rear left and right do the mid bass

cleaner sound. you only need front speakers and sub

Soldato
if you have good comps they wont need a lot of power, most reasonably high powered HUs are 25-27rms (not 4*60 etc lol) but worth it if youre looking for a good system on a budget

Soldato
I've got that amp and similar comps in my car and they are cracking. The amp will happily run the comps and the sub no worries. The HU ain't bad but that's only because I don't like the alpine styling.

Don
Reality Bites said:
leaves me without a sub though. can't afford 2 amps at the mo.....

mmm.....what to do.

I have a 5 channel alpine amp , 4 channels bridged to 2 for the comps and the other for the sub

Soldato
I have that amp running a pair of comps and this sub (but with different box) http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4291.html

There's plenty of power for sub but that's in an mr2. It goes a lot louder than I want it to but it might not be enough for a focus, depending on what you want out of the system.

I'm not overly impressed with the crossovers on the amp. It was a pain to set up and the roll-off slope (is that what it's called?) seems quite big. e.g. to get 60hz notes to sound good, I can still hear much higher ones, about 100hz, albeit a lot quieter. It seems to just quiten down the higher notes whereas I'd like it to cut them out more.

But for the money I paid for it, I'm happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
thats what a crossover does it makes the frequencies above or below your seleted point quieter. the steeper the slope the quick they become inaudible. 12db per octave is the most common crossover slope with the more expensive amps having 24db per octave slopes. You can also get a seperate active crossover and use both together to get a steeper slope :)

Back
Top Bottom