Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Associate
Got up at 4 am to catch a flight this morning, only to find out it had been cancelled because of volcanic ash:mad:

At that time in the morning, I was like ....wtf ? volcanic ash ? where ? how ?:D

Man of Honour
The cause of this is the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano erruption in Iceland.

Image from the Icelandic Coast Guard on Wednesday:

volcanon.jpg

Video from AP:

Soldato
Yes it has.

You just choose to ignore the past and listen to the medias fascination with the flavour of the quarter style reporting.
It's tectonic plates haven't moved since this millenium to some people!

To a large extent you're right. Its a bit like skirmishes which occur globally on a daily basis - business as usual for most, but as soon as the media grab hold its all doom and gloom and the dawn of WWIII !!

However, airport disruption aside, this is quite an interesting event:

"Eyjafjallajokull has blown three times in the past thousand years," Dr McGarvie told The Times, "in 920AD, in 1612 and between 1821 and 1823. Each time it set off Katla." The likelihood of Katla blowing could become clear "in a few weeks or a few months", he said.

Read here to understand more about the significance of Katla in that quote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7070239.ece

Soldato
06:30 I'm watching BBC Breakfast whilst eating my breakfast; phonecall from dad and colleague at Bristol airport "They've cancelled the flight and the only explanation is 'Volcano'. WTF. Is this an April Fool? Can we drive to Heathrow and fly to Glasgow from there? The WiFi isn't working here so we can't look anything up online and it's absolute chaos". At that very moment breakfast were saying that the whole of Scotlands airports were shut, completely.

Why didn't Bristol Aiport / their airline tell them that? Me sat at home knew it before them who were there trying to get to Glasgow!

Back
Top Bottom