Ideas for solo holiday 2022?

Soldato
After several arduous years of study, I have now completed my medical degree. Despite having the option to go away with friends, I'm going to be "anti-social" and do my own thing instead; I need to clear my head and just have a bit of time away from everything hectic. I'd be looking at 7-10 days, (Europe preferably) including the UK. Train, boat, plane are all fine although I'd rather not be "bussing it." My only other stipulations, are that the weather must be warm, the beer cold and a beach wouldn't go a miss. I've got a reasonable budget so, all inclusive, self catering etc is all good. Recommendations welcomed. Cheers.

Associate
I travelled for a holiday to Lindos and Lanzarote by myself a few years ago. Each was great. The freedom to choose what and when I wanted to do on any given day and change plans at the drop of a hat made for a very pleasant break.

Soldato
Rent a cottage on the Scottish coast for a week, as close to the sea as possible but within walking distance of a little pub. Spend the week chilling out. I did this a few years ago, was the best holiday of my life.

Wife and daughter tagged along unfortunately :D

Soldato
not europe but best holidays i have ever had were diving (or snorkelling) in the red sea around egypt. (I was around Sharm el-Sheikh).... you could get your PADI and Advanced PADI whilst doing it.

also congrats.

edit also if i were single and without child i would like to do this

(not all in one go)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Scotland is tempting, as it would give me a chance to do some wild swimming. Only downside being that I've travelled it extensively in the past. I've never been to Rhodes, so I'll stick that on the list.

Soldato
OP
not europe but best holidays i have ever had were diving (or snorkelling) in the red sea around egypt. (I was around Sharm el-Sheikh).... you could get your PADI and Advanced PADI whilst doing it.

also congrats.

Cheers. I've been to Egypt a few times in the past. I agree. I tried snorkeling for the first time when I was there. Loved it.

Soldato
Cheers. I've been to Egypt a few times in the past. I agree. I tried snorkeling for the first time when I was there. Loved it.
yeah i desperately want to go back but its too hot for the wife and also a 6 year old. Also am ashamed to say i have piled on the pounds which makes scuba diving less fun.

btw i edited in another suggestion if you like walking (not likely all in 1 go)

Soldato
Not been but I hear Slovenia is nice.

(South) Cyprus might be good - some beaches, some history, not super expensive (also not super cheap), some nice bits of nature to see. Possibly too hot at the moment depending on your tastes though - I last went in early spring and that was hot enough for me!

UK-wise Pembrokeshire can be lovely if you get a spell of good weather.

Soldato
Rent a nice apartment with sea views and a balcony in Sandbanks Dorset. No hassle with airports, currency, contribute to the UK economy instead. Can do self catering / use food delivery apps / explore for local restaurants. Use your mobile data allowance easier. Take a chromecast with you if you have Netflix on your phone so there's always something in English to watch if you prefer to stay in some days.

Soldato
OP
Having thought about it, self catering is the way I'd go. It gives me more flexibility.
Congratulations? Does your budget stretch to Venice?

It does, but as nice as it is, I went there a few years ago to propose. Single now, so mixed memories lol.

Soldato
Rent a nice apartment with sea views and a balcony in Sandbanks Dorset. No hassle with airports, currency, contribute to the UK economy instead. Can do self catering / use food delivery apps / explore for local restaurants. Use your mobile data allowance easier. Take a chromecast with you if you have Netflix on your phone so there's always something in English to watch if you prefer to stay in some days.
Of all the places in the UK this has to be one of the worst choices.

Soldato
Some suggestions:

Lisbon, Portugal

Barcelona, Spain

Dordogne region of France, no beaches but lots of nice activity lakes, some with sandy shores

Croatia, Dalmatian Coast, Split, Dubrovnik

Bilbao, Santander, and coastline, Northern Spain

Have fun! Also, congrats on degree.

Back
Top Bottom