Identify my meat

hux

hux

Soldato
Thick Flank. /thread
Source me. Ex. butcher and 15 years at morrisons butchery.

Nothing like it, got three of them in the freezer right now.

Ex butcher/packer/trimmer and currently boning hall supervisor for nearly 30 years ;)

But enough playing with meat, as I'm all but spent.

Edit - Bugatti topside haha I love it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Those beef roasting joints are horrible.

I mean what the hell is that, take some ****** bits of beef and a wodge of fat, tie it up in a net and sell it for a horrendous amount.

You cook it in the oven, it shrinks to about a third of its original size and it like boot leather.

Why would anyone in their right mind cook one of those over say a chicken? I mean I'd rather stick a tin of corned beef in the oven.

Caporegime

I mean what the hell is that, take some ****** bits of beef and a wodge of fat, tie it up in a net and sell it for a horrendous amount.

You cook it in the oven, it shrinks to about a third of its original size and it like boot leather.

Why would anyone in their right mind cook one of those over say a chicken? I mean I'd rather stick a tin of corned beef in the oven.
Sounds like you’re overcooking it tbh

hux

hux

Soldato

Friend I live with, she slow cooked a thick flank/top rump for Christmas, and I swear it was the most tender, flavourful beef joint I've ever had.

We're talking slabs of beef, you could pull apart with a butter knife.
Ok it helps coming from a local supplier, but like the above guy says, you're cooking it wrong.

Associate
OP

We were happy enough with it. Granted I'd probably spend a bit more next time for a better cut at Christmas but would happily get something similar for a weekend roast.

It certainly didn't reduce drastically in size and was reasonably tender.

Soldato
I pot roasted one of those low and slow for 5 hours after searing in the pot. Super tender and pretty tasty. I aimed for a 75degC final temp but did it very slowly. Gravy was great blended in the trivet of veg. I had planned to sous vide but my Anova died.

Associate

Agree with the Shrinkage, but the boot leather part sounds bit like your cooking :p

Back
Top Bottom