Identify old pipe

Associate
Hi all,
We bought a property late last year. There is an old pipe that comes up through the garage floor that ideally needs to be removed in the near future.
Can anyone identify what type of pipe this is?

Thanks for the help

Mal

Soldato
Surely got to be gas, if it's water and it's live that's against regulations and dangerous.
If it's a tap at the top turn it and see what comes out, but be ready to switch either gas or water off at the main tap should it not close again.

Tea Drinker
Don
Ancient ground worker trick. Two drills tiny drill bit in one screw gun for the other. Drill tiny hole. Wet floor = water. Sparks = electricity. Smell = gas. Wind self tapping screw into hole.

Obviously the above is a joke and shouldn’t be done but I have seen it down under Croydon high street about 8m below ground by a couple of guys digging a heading when they found an unknown pipe in the way.

Associate
Its Gas. 100%

The old meter would have been there. The brass valve would have been a shut off (With a lever) thats been removed and the wall bracket would have hung the meter.

Associate
It looks like and old town gas pipe which would have been a steel pipe wrapped in a bitumen paper. If it is it shouldn't be live but you would need a gas filter to make absolutely sure.

Soldato
Its Gas. 100%

The old meter would have been there. The brass valve would have been a shut off (With a lever) thats been removed and the wall bracket would have hung the meter.

Agreed, I expect you have an outside meter box with a plastic pipe in for the Gas to the property now. I'm certain the pipe is dead.

Associate
I think it is also gas but how do u know if it is live or not!? :)

Get a Gas safe engineer to come and have a look.

He can test if it’s live, then cap at floor level. (Ifs it’s redundant)
Even if it’s dead it still needs to be capped at floor level as remnants of gas can still linger in that feed, wherever it goes.

Soldato
Get a Gas safe engineer to come and have a look.

He can test if it’s live, then cap at floor level. (Ifs it’s redundant)
Even if it’s dead it still needs to be capped at floor level as remnants of gas can still linger in that feed, wherever it goes.

No he can't, and any that do are breaking the law, only one who can move or remove a gas supply pipe live or dead is the transporter. This kind of work is my bread and butter. Although covid has changed my daily life significantly.

Back
Top Bottom