jkb

jkb

Associate
I always knew I didn't have much of an imagination but had no idea other people didn't just see black when they shut their eyes and think of something

Associate
When I close my eyes and think of a beach I imagine every detail but only see a little visual glimps of the beach I am thinking of, this also works the other way. If I am building something I can close my eyes and see a visual glimps but can imagine step but step in great detail. I guess in my mind's eye I see the details and don't really need the image but can make one from the details if I want to but don't as I don't need to.

Man of Honour
I've spent 1000s of hours playing guitar/piano and listening to music so maybe that's part of it... I guess I just have really low ability to mentally visualise.

Only just seen this -
I've spent the last 48 years playing guitar/piano and I actually visualise when I have to transpose to another instrument.
You'll often see me at rehearsals staring into space because I'm transposing to another instrument.
eg I've spent the last two years playing guitar on Shine On You Crazy Diamond, a month ago I was asked to play it on keyboards so stared into space for a minute until the 'video' played.

Soldato
One of my favourite ways to get to sleep is to imagine a round of golf on a familiar course. I visualise every club selection, every shot, every walk to the ball and the views along the way. I do the same with familiar walking/hiking routes too. Edit: and driving/riding favourite roads which is great because there are never any Police about. :)

It's definitely visual because the amount of detail would be too large to process in any other way in real-time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only just seen this -
I've spent the last 48 years playing guitar/piano and I actually visualise when I have to transpose to another instrument.
You'll often see me at rehearsals staring into space because I'm transposing to another instrument.
eg I've spent the last two years playing guitar on Shine On You Crazy Diamond, a month ago I was asked to play it on keyboards so stared into space for a minute until the 'video' played.

Tbh...I've came to the conclusion that I do visualise things but just very little and vague. I think muscle memory plays a part in transposing though. I'd think of the feeling of a shape and the position rather than picturing it...but I guess that does require some visualisation

Man of Honour
If I was doing this I would visualise the chord formations and hand formations. I'm not sure how it could be done any other way.

Exactly but with the guitar parts they weren't straight forward chords but dropping a note here and there. Other songs are dead easy, I visualise the chords on one instrument and immediately play on the other.

Soldato
If I was doing this I would visualise the chord formations and hand formations. I'm not sure how it could be done any other way.

just think of the chord name...you don't need to look up a chord chart every time you play a chord...you just know it because you've learned it

think of a few chords just now when holding the guitar or at the piano. I bet your hands will be in shape/position before you visualise a map like you'd see on a chord chart...or do you really picture every shape as you're playing or thinking of them?

Man of Honour
just think of the chord name...you don't need to look up a chord chart every time you play a chord...you just know it because you've learned it

think of a few chords just now when holding the guitar or at the piano. I bet your hands will be in shape/position before you visualise a map like you'd see on a chord chart...or do you really picture every shape as you're playing or thinking of them?

I think like me he is talking about approaching an instrument when you have learned a song on one then you transpose to another.
I was at a party yesterday where there was a piano and I quickly played two songs I've only done on guitar before.
if learning a song for the first time I'm looking at the music on screen or paper.

Soldato
If I close my eyes I can see the beach, I can see the waves crashing and I can see the sand between my toes.

Who’s the weirdo? Me or you?

Soldato
I think like me he is talking about approaching an instrument when you have learned a song on one then you transpose to another.
I was at a party yesterday where there was a piano and I quickly played two songs I've only done on guitar before.
if learning a song for the first time I'm looking at the music on screen or paper.

I guess the point here is like the thread....that people just think differently.

..you visualise a chord shape....then play it on another instrument. But the shapes aren’t the same for guitar and piano...so you must have to visualise the shape...think what chord that is, then think of the shape of that chord on the other instrument. Scales/licks/riffs even more so...could play lots but would struggle to tab or score it without having the guitar/piano in front of me

If I’m trying to remember a song I’ve learned ages ago but not played for a while it’s the muscle memory that I need to rely on....I think visualising would help in that case, but not something I could do

Last edited:
Associate
I remember going to the doctors to get my blood pressure checked. During the procedure I tried relaxing and thinking of sitting on Brighton beach, feeling tranquil in the hope my pressure would normalise. RUBBISH, never worked.
Then I suggested it could be 'white coat syndrome.' I was put on a 24 hour blood pressure monitor.

Back
Top Bottom