• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If it aint broke, you know the rest

Associate
Well, what a total arrrrse week. Had a perfectly happy system with a new Sapphire HD4870 running Vista with the rest of the sig below.
Up untill I decided I would flash the Bios:eek: Seemed to be fine up till re installed CCC, then when ever it would startup would end up with BSOD, this would happen even if CPUz or ATI toool was started. Then I was unable to uninstall CCC correctly. All sorts of mares going. All related to the flashing of the GPU, so tried to re-flash to old bios and, ouch. Well, the long and short is the card is bricked, had to buy a HD2400 to replace and try and re-flash it, but nothing. Dead, bugger:( And OS being a pain.
Went for a reinstall of Vista, only to find I couldn't re activate it, OEM version, so no "my motherboard has died" can you please activate it for was going to work.
Well, after a week of cursing and, kicking the dogs around the house, not really, were back with good old Xp and the proud father of a powercooler 1gb 4870:D and we are very happy. Even if £200 out of pocket. Now I'm getting kicked around the house by the wife
And what have we learn't, well, if it aint broke, don't fix it, or ****** it up in my case.
And I was beginning to like Vista;)

No swearing

Associate
Hey Paddi, just for fun, is there anything you can glean out of this post/threads?

You`ll see that I bricked my 4850 and with lots of good advice etc, got it working again.

Pay particular attn to using ATIFlash with a bootable USB device which is the only way I will do this from now on, can`t hurt and you`d have a canny card to sell on :)

Soldato
Yes we all know the risks of playing with bioses..but we don't think it will happen to US
I would think You flashed it with an incorrect bios which has caused the card to damage itself after the reboot sorry to hear it !

Soldato
Hey, I just thought If You have not jumped on it I'll buy the cooler from the card off You, please reply to My wanted add in members market.

Associate
when it comes to re activaiting you vista if you have to phone them and they ask tell them system would no longer boot after installing updated drivers forcing you to re install
i had similar issue when using nvidias new nforce4 drivers a few months back even trying to boot into safemode came up with BSOD
i just reinstalled and activated over phone line no problems
a little dishonest but beats paying for the os again

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im upgrading shortly to a 4870 1gb, and ive bought 2 74gb raptors to use in a raid array, thankfuly i havent got to much to backup, so ill just go for a clean install of xp and new vid card drivers to avoid any conflicts (never owned an ati card before) hopefully all will go well.

Back
Top Bottom