If you are the F1 director...........

Soldato
What changes you’d make to make the races more interesting?

I’d make the race shorter, ie 30 laps with unlimited tyres so they’ll flat out to first position

No more silly tyres/fuel saving

Associate
I've always had a big interest in cars and love watching the BTCC, but F1 has never been interesting enough and I don't think I've actually watched a race for years.

It would have to be a drastic change to interest me. Vehicle weaponry?

Man of Honour
  • severely limit the aero so they can follow each other. Probably some level of ground effect.
  • remove the two tyre compound, remove the choosing so long in advanced what tyres they want to bring as well as removing fia deciding which tyres to bring.
  • if I want to do the race on one set of hards then that should be allowed or if I want to do it on 3 sets of super softs that should be fine as well.
  • Remove DRS
  • cars should be first grip limited and far in the distance aero limited. So more powerful engines and kers.
  • Remove the restriction on batteries and kj. but keep restrictions of fuel, fuel flow etc.
  • figure out new run offs, maybe a 3 meter wide ultra low grip apron, before the normal massive run offs appear. Where losing time is almost guaranteed and a chance of crashing out of the race exists for going wide. basically trying to recreate gravel pit type of stats.
  • online streaming, higher scarbs for technical analysis pre/post race, great live timing etc. give fans who sign upto live streaming as much info as possible.
  • f1 is about technology and its not a sport that can be followed occasionally for best enjoyment, but its lost this aspect and its hard to get that in-depth knowledge of whats going on these days, it all needs to be in one convenient location.
  • give the streaming side of it more accessible to in-depth car technology so they can report on it at least in basic concept terms.
  • never use Tilke again
  • on existing tracks where possible redesign for better racing
  • on new tracks think about the racing with a new designer, unlike tilke.
  • sack all the current stewards
  • consistent and appropriate punishment
  • Stewards must decide within say 5 laps, none of this will be dealt with after the race, you have car sensors, multiple video angles, there is zero reason to speak to drivers.
there's probably more, but that will do for the moment. there is so much wrong with f1. As I said before I hate myself for continuing to follow. But i don't follow any other sport and despite trying to get into them I just don't have the knowledge I do of f1. Bring back the racing and technology of the late 80s and early 90s where it was rapid, talked about etc. then banned the follwoing year and move on to the next improvment its far to restrcted these days, the electric side is ripe for massive developments but its all locked down.

Soldato
Bring back ground effects. Much harsher limits on over-body aerodynamics. Any engine type goes, up to a limit of 1000hp. Bring back refuelling. Multiple tyre manufacturers. No ******* halo.

How do you limit the power to 1000bhp?

Any engine goes until the optimal solution is found and then all teams will end up with the same engine type again, then someone comes up with a very expensive solution that makes a big difference followed by everyone following copying. Lots of money spent and no overall difference.

Soldato
Firstly I'd start with the tracks. There are many on the calendar that just need to go. I'd eliminate 90% of the tracks where it has been proven that that overtakes are rare. The remainder can be used on rotation for historical reasons.

Remove the massive run offs and introduce some kind of gravel trap in areas on certain tracks. Drivers cutt the track limits all to often at the moment, and there isn't enough of a dis-incentive not to.

I would also want to work with the teams and the tyre manufacture to make it so that the cars can run in all but monsoon conditions. That probably involves a change in suspension geometry, tyre sizes, and ride height.

I would open up the engine regulations but limit fuel to a certain figure depending on the track so say 100kg in Canada but only 85kg in Hungary (if it made the cut). There would be no fuel flow limitation.

I'd also open up the limits on batter power/usage too, to allow development in this area, since it is directly applicable to road cards and other craft.

In light of that, I would further restrict aero (to reduce spending there) specifically the wake of the cars, and work to introduce more mechanical grip to allow closer following.

I would also consider a somewhat controversial rule of forcing engine manufacturers to supply any team (maximum of four) that requests their engine. This would be rebadged where necessary (to avoid marketing issues) and would require 18 months notice. That way a manufacture would still benefit from producing a world beating engine, but only for two seasons, but allow for instance Redbull to request a rebadged Merc, or McLaren a rebadged Ferrari.

I'd also want any new developments in engine tech to be passed to customers at the next round of engine changes. With 4 engines a season that would allow the works team a five race advantage. This would help offset them getting upset about the rule above.

I'd abandon the two compound rule. Run what you 'brung'

I'd also want cars to be started under their own battery power. They can kind of be already as we've seen over the past year or two, but it will never work properly unless it's in the rules.

Donuts, stopping on track to collect flags, celebrations etc.. would all be allowed.

I'd consider moving qualifying and the race to the same day. For fans it seems daft to spread out the limited run time over three days, especially when not all tracks have support races and entertainment.

On that subject I would also want equalise the races in terms of time. somewhere between 1h45 and 2h. Monza at 1h15 is a bit of a joke under current regs. This is F1 not MotoGP

Ease restrictions on Super Licences. IIRC Sebastian Loeb was denied the chance to make an appearance in practice at Adu Dhabi despite being a 6 time WRC at the time. It was right he was denied it at the time, but I would like to encourage more wild cards and cameo appearances where possible.

Soldato
1) Add another tyre Manufacture (Have them compete against each other), this will create more competition overall.

2) Additional race Performance points.
  • Bonus point for leading a lap. (not a point per lap)
  • Bonus point for leading the most laps.
  • Bonus point for fastest lap.

3) Points for qualifying (top ten) and top ten reversed

mG4uYht.png

4) remove the monaco GP

5) optional Free practice four before the race like fp3 is before qualifying for the lower half of the teams based previous season constructions championships

so if it remains the same as it is next season these teams would get additional testing -
Toro Rosso
Renault
Haas-Ferrari
McLaren-Honda
Sauber-Ferrari

although this may not work with other races that go on

Soldato
Its supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport. Give them a car sized box and tell them as long as it fits in there its good.

If a team can't afford it then they can run in the lower groups.

Lets see how far they can push technology then

Man of Honour
Single element front wing with simple end plates
Single element rear wing with simple end plates
T wings, barge boards, capes, swordfishes, D wings, holes in floor and so on banned. Mirrors to be mounted on round supports.
Increase diffuser size.
Ground effect.
Significant gaps between tyre compunds. No stoppers possible with hardest, but will be slow. Or 4 stopper with softest.
No DRS
Track-kerb-grass-gravel-tarmac-wall.
Single set of ultra sticky, will do about 90% of a lap flat out type qualifying tyres for everyone. Easy second faster than normal softest. Add some strategy to quali - when to use them.
3rd cars on friday for development, but driven by young drivers.
Permanent stewarding team.
Timely release of stewards decisions and all associated telemetry/video evidence.
Avoid F1 races at the same time as other major motorsport events, so drivers can take part in Indy, Daytona, Le Mans etc...

Just off the top of my head.

Oh yeah... Ditch Monaco.

Associate
What changes you’d make to make the races more interesting?

I’d make the race shorter, ie 30 laps with unlimited tyres so they’ll flat out to first position

No more silly tyres/fuel saving

Tyre and fuel saving is what's hurt the sport most, in my opinion. Racing and eco friendly don't go together unless it's Formula E. F1 should realise this.

As for what I would do, I would implement a system that caps peak performance to prevent a single team from gaining a huge advantage. Hopefully, this would bring 3 or 4 teams challenging for the win every race. Even if one team was to dominate, others wouldn't be too far behind. That'd be fun to watch. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2) Additional race Performance points.
  • Bonus point for leading a lap. (not a point per lap)
  • Bonus point for leading the most laps.
  • Bonus point for fastest lap.
although this may not work with other races that go on

This would just lead to stupid situations where people who aren't in the points pit and do qualifying laps at the end, or people who haven't got a chance of winning not pitting until the latest possible moment so they can lead a lap.

Soldato
Restrict aero to allow the cars to get closer.
Removal of DRS.
Remove engine penalties.
Add additional curbs and/or grass to create a more substantial time penalty for going off track.
Free tyre strategy (no requirement to run two compounds or Q2 tyre)
Steward input restricted to major incidents/rule breaking.

Maybe's:
Small reduction in car width.
Small reduction in mechanical grip (probably not necessary with the aero reduction)
Hybrid deployment simplified and put fully under driver control. IE: Push to pass button maybe with a control over rate of deployment.

Man of Honour
I forgot one....
All technical rules for the following season to be set in place by the end of the previous season. So for 2018, they would have been in place at the end of the 2016 season. Any changes past this date must be agreed by all of the teams, FOM and FIA. If one doesn't agree, it doesn't go in.

Associate
I'd also remove the silly grid penalties in place that currently penalise the drivers for every engine or gearbox change. An alternate solution would be a deduction in constructor championship points, limited running in practice sessions or even carrying extra fuel load. But at the same time, I would increase the numbers of engine and gearbox changes allowed. So that teams can race their cars closer to the limit than they would if they knew they would incur a heavy grid penalty should something or multiple things fail i.e. 50 place grid penalty.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is why I dislike the things Brawn is saying currently, about how F1 is listening to the fans, 98% of everything stated in this thread so far would be absolutely and utterly terrible for F1, most fans don't have a clue what they are talking about and should be completely and utterly ignored when it comes to making rules. You need a few aero guys and engine guys who have no connection to a team any more coming up with rules, the problem there is people are either retired or want a highly paid job in actual racing. The only sensible way to get sensible ideas is to involve existing people from the teams, the sport can't continue sensibly without it.

Back
Top Bottom