If you could travel back in time..

Soldato
Probably the period when Gengis Khan tore into Europe through the Caucasus mountains and that general period, just the clash of ways of life and the last of a period where people had just no idea what was at either end of the world.

But that’s probably because I’m listening to Hardcore History again...

Soldato
Egypt in it's heyday. See the Pyramids of Giza when it was all brand new and completed. Then the Gardens of Babylon. Rome in it's heyday. That Library that burned down. All 7 Wonders in their prime. As you can probably tell i have a thing for Ancient Civilisations

1970s - Elvis Presley died the year before I was born, so I would love to go back to when he was touring
1980s - Visit early 80s arcades for retro gaming e.g. Pac-Man, Donky Kong, Mr Do, Centipede, Space Invaders
1890s - To see vintage fairground equipment from the steam Carousel up to the 1930s when the first Ark and Waltzers came out
1930s - Seeing the first "talkies" in cinema and when Walt Disney started to do well e.g. Snow White release in 1937
1800s - Be a fly on the wall in the Wild West / Old American West / American Frontier to see a bit of everyday life from there

Caporegime
I would love to experience live aid 85 from a music perspective. Freddie is someone I will never get to hear live. Would also love to have been at the 1999 champions League final. Also in a bit of weird way it would have been incredible to witness a nuclear bomb test but one of the big boys like tsar Bomba or Castle Bravo. From a gaming point of view as this is a computer forum after all I would have to go back to late 04/05 when World of Warcraft launched.

Soldato
.. which period would you be most interested in visiting that's become legend in our history books?

To be more specific, which historical events would you like to see happening or which specific person would you like to see for real. You'll not be in any danger, you'll be in a sort of protective bubble and just able to observe.

Would it be the Battle of Hastings? Seeing the apple actually falling on Isaac Newton's head? Perhaps seeing Henry Vlll? Seeing Mary Queen of Scots? Being a fly on the wall and watching Beethoven actually composing and playing his 5th symphony? Seeing Merlin5 as he constructs brilliant threads? Watching the pyramids as they were built?

I think I would like a really good walk around the Roman Empire. First through the streets amongst the common folk and then through the palaces and halls of power. I suspect I'd find it strangely modern in many ways, but equally fascinating. If you want specific events, Caesar's return to Rome immediately after crossing the Rubicon. I'd like to settle in my mind if he was a "Goodie" or a "Baddie". :D

Soldato
Always give the same answer to this question. I know it’s grim in the grand scheme of the worlds history, but I would have to go back to 1888 and find out the true identity of Jack the Ripper. Read so many books, changed my mind so many times and realistically, the only hope of ever solving it, is through time travel.

Twist: Jack the Ripper, is YOU.

2001, LA, the set of filmmaker Russ Meyer's final movie, Pandora Peaks. Rounding off a personal journey that started with 10 year old cheesyboy and a copy of The Sun newspaper featuring pics of the eponymous, and extremely top-heavy, PP siteseeing around London in a flimsy pink dress.

Or maybe the fall of Troy. Both have pros and cons.

Having read your first one, why do I have the resigned feeling that your reason for the second is to check out Helen?

I'd go back a few years armed with all the results of the sports games played and make myself filthy rich through betting

Apparently that doesn't work. I've heard that if you grab the next set of lotto numbers and go back in time to play it, the numbers will come out different. My cynical mind therefore thinks the same when it comes to sports matches.

Man of Honour
I think I would like a really good walk around the Roman Empire. First through the streets amongst the common folk and then through the palaces and halls of power. I suspect I'd find it strangely modern in many ways, but equally fascinating. If you want specific events, Caesar's return to Rome immediately after crossing the Rubicon. I'd like to settle in my mind if he was a "Goodie" or a "Baddie". :D

Mine would be very similar - I'd like to find out what his plans really were. Was he intending to stablise the empire and then stand down as dictator and return the empire to the republican system it had before? Or was he planning on keeping the empire as a dictatorship?

I think we'd both need to hang around for a while rather than be at just one specific event and maybe we couldn't find the answers within the constraints of this hypothetical setting. All we can do is observe, so we wouldn't even be able to ask him anything. We'd have to piece an answer together from things he said, wrote or did.

I don't think I'd be able to spy on anyone like that, though. But it's an interesting thing to think about.

Or maybe I'd go to the university of ancient Alexandria, including the libraries. Or watch Eratosthenes measuring the shadow of the stick. Or Euclid laying the foundation for most of maths for the next couple of millenia. Or maybe I'd spend so long trying to decide that I didn't go anywhere/when.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to be in the Colosseum around the first century watching a gladiatorial battle against man and beasts.

Also, can you imagine witnessing Naumachia. The Romans were willing to go to any measures to satisfy their depraved lust for violence, and bloodshed. They invented possibly the most extreme game of all time, by flooding the Colosseum with water, and then forcing ship crews to go to naval warfare with each other. The ships would fight it out until only one was left. The first Naumachia was between 2000 combatants, and 4000 rowers. 20 fully armed naval ships in total. Because of the large number of contestants, and the power of Roman ships, Naumachiae was extremely bloody. Seeing the carnage nowadays would leave most people scarred beyond repair, but the Roman citizens revelled in it.

La-naumaquia-Ulpiano-Checa-1080x675.jpg

Soldato
Not really interested in human history so it'd be multiple timepoints in the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods for me. Oh, and I'd have a shedload of digital storage for all the cameras I'd need to document EVERYTHING!

BTW, if the bubble is big enough for a mate then I'd take a friend who's a professor of palaeontology. He'd be able to see if his (brilliant) theories are true. That'd blow his mind. :D

Ooh, come to think of it, one of my former colleagues is an astrophysicist, is there any room in that bubble heading to the birth of the univetrse? ;)

Soldato
Mine would be very similar - I'd like to find out what his plans really were. Was he intending to stablise the empire and then stand down as dictator and return the empire to the republican system it had before? Or was he planning on keeping the empire as a dictatorship?

I think we'd both need to hang around for a while rather than be at just one specific event and maybe we couldn't find the answers within the constraints of this hypothetical setting. All we can do is observe, so we wouldn't even be able to ask him anything. We'd have to piece an answer together from things he said, wrote or did.

Very true. However, I think perhaps we could read something into the general political state of things and the views of people around at the time. Then again, perhaps not. I was greatly impressed by the way they handled Caesar in HBO's Rome series - right up until the assassination you still can never really say whether his intentions are noble (the noblest of them all) or if he's a power-hungry master manipulator. Despite them giving you plenty to work with. Their Caesar was the very definition of enigmatic and it added a lot. Especially as seen through the eyes of Titus and Lucius who were sort of a natural populist and a constitutionalist (for want of a better term).

Or maybe I'd go to the university of ancient Alexandria, including the libraries. Or watch Eratosthenes measuring the shadow of the stick. Or Euclid laying the foundation for most of maths for the next couple of millenia. Or maybe I'd spend so long trying to decide that I didn't go anywhere/when.

I think that latter one would be maddening to watch. It's one of those things that it easily proven retroactively but probably took forever to come up with. Watching him drawing little triangles on his wax tablet for weeks on end, wander off, do some mathematics or hang out with friends, come back next month and play with his triangles again... I give it three days before you're saying in Greek "look, draw some squares on the triangle, right? Give you any ideas?" :D

I'd like to be in the Colosseum around the first century watching a gladiatorial battle against man and beasts.

Also, can you imagine witnessing Naumachia. The Romans were willing to go to any measures to satisfy their depraved lust for violence, and bloodshed. They invented possibly the most extreme game of all time, by flooding the Colosseum with water, and then forcing ship crews to go to naval warfare with each other. The ships would fight it out until only one was left. The first Naumachia was between 2000 combatants, and 4000 rowers. 20 fully armed naval ships in total. Because of the large number of contestants, and the power of Roman ships, Naumachiae was extremely bloody. Seeing the carnage nowadays would leave most people scarred beyond repair, but the Roman citizens revelled in it.

La-naumaquia-Ulpiano-Checa-1080x675.jpg

Ancient Romans were crazy! :D :D

Associate
I'd visit it all, 9/11 through to the dinosaurs and the asteroid that wiped them out.

Surprised no one's said about Hitler's last days in his bunker / Reichstag fire / his suspicious relationship with his niece and her suicide.

All questions must be answered and all spectacles witnessed, then uploaded to Youtube ;) (and translated because I wouldn't know what the heck anyone's saying throughout 99% of human history).

Soldato
OP
By the way guys, I forgot to show you your time travel machine. This is it. I bought it from ebay, it's fully refurbed, only had 3000 users, and is in excellent working condition so it should get you back to the present with little to no problem. You just set the dials to your desired date and year and pull the lever. Just put your name down and you'll get your turn soon. :)

11-Comet-Time-Machine.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Soldato
I'd go back 30 years to 1989 and watch myself watch Back to The Future II on VHS. I'd try to get a concept of how far in the past the 1950's felt to me when I watched the first movie in 1985, and then I'd think about the fact I'd just traveled back the same 30 years from 2019 to 1989 just like Marty McFly did from 1985 to 1955.

In almost 30 years from now, the 1950's will be a century ago. And there probably still won't be any floating skateboards.

Back
Top Bottom