If you found £20 in a cash machine........

Caporegime
It is not their fault someone stole their money, that is a basic principle of the legal system and ethics.

Perhaps of a good legal system with good honest people, however that is a chance in hell that even the devil would miss.

Although this discussion is rather pointless, considering an "IF" is at the start of the thread title, i will say that although it is not their personal fault that someone else took the money, how can you tell that that wasn't what they wanted?

Is it immediately assumed that its theft?

That is not rational, that is jumping to conclusions. :p

Only if the person files for lost money, is it theft.

Caporegime
Is it immediately assumed that its theft?

If you look at the definition for theft.

A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly.

So pocketing money from a cash machine is theft by default.

It's based on a common sense basis, someone leaving money at a cash machine is beyond all reasonable doubt, not randomly donating the money.

Soldato
To the future thieves who say they'd take the £20 from the cash machine...

If you found a wallet, would you return it with the £20 inside, would you return it after taking the £20, or would you take the £20 and bin the wallet?

Caporegime

If you found a wallet, would you return it with the £20 inside, would you return it after taking the £20, or would you take the £20 and bin the wallet?

Any thief smart enough would take it and burn it immediately, then pour bleach over it.

;)

Caporegime
Found £110 in the cash machine before, the guy in front of me walked away without lifting it and basically disappeared into the crowd in the shopping centre, ended up standing outside the bank for about 5 mins till he realised and came back and asked me if id been at the machine after him.

Permabanned

keep the money bin the wallet what can i say im been honest

Associate
What about if you were using the ATM and it gave you say £70 instead of the £50 you asked and checking your balance it only says £50 has come out.

This happened to my other half in Paris last year and we counted our blessings and I made her buy me a drink at dinner :D

Soldato
out of interest, for those of you who have left money in a slot and not had it returned by the bank, did you report the crime to the police? if not, why not?

Didn't report to bank or police, due to being ill and having little free time to deal with bureaucracy. Time is money after all, unreported criminal acts are still criminal acts.

Soldato
All the people saying let the note go back in the machine , would that credit go back onto the person who forgot to take it?

as if it did'nt how would the person proof to the bank he forgot to take his money?

otherwise you might as well take it than give it back to the greedy bankers!

Associate
If someone before me had obviously left it, then I would tell them about it.
If the cash machine was totally empty, no one obviously having just left, then I'd take it.

But chances are by that point the money would have sucked itself back in.

Back
Top Bottom