• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If you had £130 today what card would you buy

Associate
My xfx8800Gtx gave up the ghost last couple of days :( pretty disapointed really was only brought last march at £225 from ocuk i was kinda badgered into it buy the guy in the shop also i heard xfx was poor but he said no your be fine and its dead already.

I changed the cooler on it to a thermalright as the stock one was very poor imo which worked fine since April now i get corruption red little lines all down the screen, only way i can boot the pc without it locking up is to un-install the display driver, changing the cooler Its now void the warranty asnt it ?

I need a graphics card today my bank account is empty but i've manged to scrap togther £130 pound so if it was your cash what would you buy ?

Associate
The palit GTX260 sonic, my XFX 260 clocks well to about 720!! Its also a fair chunck cheaper than the 4890 and will probably overclock to get it to match a GTX280/285 performace wise. I suppose it depends what games you play.

But there really isn't much difference from 4890 to 260.

Which sticker do like best? :D

Associate
OP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-004-OE&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

Yer I just saw this and am leaning towards that, I would go for a 4890 but the only one I can afford is the power color one which looks a bit cheap from stuff i've read online the pcd is reference but everything else is cheap, the cooler also sounds like an hoover, after changing this cooler and buggering up my warranty I doubt id ever do that or listen to an ocuk sales guy ever again.

Im going over at lunch time so does everyone recommend the 260 then ?

Soldato
If you still have the original 8800GTX cooler, it should still be under warranty.

In the mean time, I'd personally for a GTX 260 with a decent warranty and fan. Yes the 4890 is faster but Powercolor isn't a great make and you only get a 1 year warranty.

A lot of people in this thread have just ignored what you said in your 2nd post, obviously you want a quiet card, so that Palit, which also comes with a 2 year warranty might be a better purchase.

Associate
OP
Are the drivers now stable and good for the 4890 ? i remmeber when the 4870 came out there was lots of issues and the average fps- lowest was very poor compared to the 260 yes on max fps it beat the 260 hands down, but average and lowest there was some very odd dips.

Associate
OP
If you still have the original 8800GTX cooler, it should still be under warranty.

In the mean time, I'd personally for a GTX 260 with a decent warranty and fan. Yes the 4890 is faster but Powercolor isn't a great make and you only get a 1 year warranty.

A lot of people in this thread have just ignored what you said in your 2nd post, obviously you want a quiet card, so that Palit, which also comes with a 2 year warranty might be a better purchase.

Thanks mate at last a decent reply, yes it does seem a lot of people on here just ignore what the op says and just shouts some form of reply without backing it up.

Ill have to have a look at refitting this cooler then to the gtx as its here next to me may be missing a few screws but ill see what I can dig up. thank you for the time you have taken to give me a better reply that just shouting 4890 ;)

Soldato
I just bought the Palit GTX 260 a few days ago, all 3 of my last cards (6800GT, X1800XT and 8800GT) I have had to change the stock coolers as they drove me nuts with their noise and whiney little fans.

I read that the Palit 260 isn't especially quiet as far as 260s go, but after firing it up I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it is, perfectly acceptable to me (I am quite fussy about noise) and no matter how hard I have pushed it it’s never gotten hot enough to ramp the fan up past about 40%.

When you first power the machine on, before the cards BIOS kicks in in sounds like a jet turbine but quickly settles down and it's fine.

It's fast too, overclocked right out of the box, apparently they have quite a lot of headroom remaining too, although I haven't put this to the test yet. It's a hell of a lot quicker than my 8800GT was anyway.

Hard to argue with it for £115 anyway. The Palit is a very good purchase so far, fast, surprisingly quiet, relatively cool running (averages a10c less than my 8800GT did with an aftermarket cooler and 120mm fan stuck to it and the Palit is on it's stock cooler) and very well priced.

Last edited:
Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-004-OE&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

Yer I just saw this and am leaning towards that, I would go for a 4890 but the only one I can afford is the power color one which looks a bit cheap from stuff i've read online the pcd is reference but everything else is cheap, the cooler also sounds like an hoover, after changing this cooler and buggering up my warranty I doubt id ever do that or listen to an ocuk sales guy ever again.

Im going over at lunch time so does everyone recommend the 260 then ?

That one!

Man of Honour
260GTX... pref. one with decent non-reference cooling... cool, quiet, low power consumption when idle... great overclocking - all mine do 25% overclocks perfectly stable.

Back
Top Bottom