Associate
Hi all, i'll cut straight to the point then get into the background - if you own an iiyama GB3466WQSU please could you do the 30 second test described below (See "The Test" section) and report the results back to me?

I am running out of ideas on what may be the cause of this issue and still don't know if this is an issue with my settings, my hardware, or a fundamental issue with the panel.

Background
In October i bought one of these monitors, it's been great except for one issue - i have white horizontal lines (1 pixel tall - very small but it is noticeable!) on various bright colours at 100hz+ (seemingly only on static [I.E Desktop] elements, but not sure it's exclusive). I have included pictures trying to show this issue below. It's not the worst issue ever, but it's annoying, and if it's a problem for everyone, maybe iiyama can get some useful input on a monitor issue.

What i have already tried
  1. I have the latest Monitor Firmware, no fix.
  2. I have tried 3 different DP1.4 cables, no fix.
  3. iiyama have given me a new monitor under warranty (great service btw), no fix.
  4. I have bought a completely new GPU, CPU, RAM, Mobo since the first monitor and started a completely new Windows 10 install on a brand new SSD, no fix.
  5. When i did the fresh PC build, i checked this problem first (switching between refresh rates) without anything installed (except whatever drivers windows found) and the problem still existed at 100hz+.
  6. After 4. i installed the latest Nvidia Drivers, no fix.
  7. I've also messed around with the monitor settings but in no structured manner (I.E turning on/off freesync, HDR, changing colours etc).
  8. May not be relevant but i've also done a Mobo BIOS update twice with my new Mobo, no fix.
I cannot take a screenshot of this issue which leads me to believe it is a hardware issue or some setting driving the hardware to this condition.

The Test
  1. Make sure you are running at 144hz.
  2. On Windows 10 go to Start Menu > Settings > Personalisation > Themes > Colour
  3. Set Choose Your Colour Drop Down = "Custom"
  4. On the "Windows Colours Pallete" choose the blue which is third down on the left. It is called "Default Blue".
  5. Scroll down and make sure under "Show the accent colour on the following surfaces" that "Title bars and window borders" is checked.
  6. I don't think it matters but i also have "Start, taskbar and action centre" unchecked, as well as Transparency effects ON.
  7. Finally, open any window that uses the windows theme and drag it to various places around the monitor (i found this problem seems to be slightly worse at the top of my monitor), in my examples i have always used File Explorer but i can see it on all windows and even some of my start menu tiles.
  8. Look at the title bar - CAN YOU SEE WHITE LINES LIKE MY EXAMPLES BELOW? (You can also try switching between 60hz and 144hz to see if theu disappear/reappear)
My Examples (Here's hoping the upload hasn't compressed the tiny details...)
wKtnLBt
Monitor-Issues.png

If you can't see the image very well, this link may help: https://pasteboard.co/JHFaFiU.png

Thank you!

(by the way, i'll also be interested if you cannot see the problem i am talking about, then i will work on making clearer images but it is very hard to capture on camera)

Associate
OP
What colour depth are you using at 60hz & 144hz is it 8-bit, 10-Bit or 12-Bit ?
And also what colour Format RGB or YCbCr422 or YCbCr444 ?

8-bit, RGB at both.

EDIT: I just used NVidia Control Panel to push it to 10bit RGB, problem still exists. Odd that this isn't default but that's another issue.
EDIT2: I also tried switching to YCbCr422/YCbCr444 and RGB 8 bit with Dynamic Range limited, no fix.

Last edited:
Soldato
8-bit, RGB at both.

EDIT: I just used NVidia Control Panel to push it to 10bit RGB, problem still exists. Odd that this isn't default but that's another issue.
EDIT2: I also tried switching to YCbCr422/YCbCr444 and RGB 8 bit with Dynamic Range limited, no fix.
Thanks..I don't own one of these monitors but thought it was worth checking to see if these settings made any difference..

Associate
OP
Is at least one of your DP 1.4 cables VESA certified?

Yep, one of the cables was Club3D DP1.4 Vesa certified. Ended up sending it back because i had another cable which felt better quality and had a 4.5 year warranty but it's not explicitly VESA certified, i've just contacted the seller to check but both expliclty claim the same data rate, copper wire weight and both claim increased shielding for stable transmission (The construction of both cables seems to be basically the same in the marketing images, perhaps a different drain configuration). Not sure there's really much else to go wrong on that front even if it doesn't have the certification? (Assuming all amazon sellers tell the truth - ha).

Although it's a bit of a joke other cables are involved anyway, both were superior to the manufacturer supplied cable which produced flickering & these lines (both my original cable and the cable which came with the warranty replacement monitor).

Associate
Yep, one of the cables was Club3D DP1.4 Vesa certified. Ended up sending it back because i had another cable which felt better quality and had a 4.5 year warranty but it's not explicitly VESA certified, i've just contacted the seller to check but both expliclty claim the same data rate, copper wire weight and both claim increased shielding for stable transmission (The construction of both cables seems to be basically the same in the marketing images, perhaps a different drain configuration). Not sure there's really much else to go wrong on that front even if it doesn't have the certification? (Assuming all amazon sellers tell the truth - ha).

Not all amazon sellers tell the truth - I've seen multiple cables being sold as VESA certified that are not on the official list https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

Club 3D has many certified cables and adapters so I'm assuming that's one of those you had :)

Associate
OP
Not all amazon sellers tell the truth - I've seen multiple cables being sold as VESA certified that are not on the official list https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

Club 3D has many certified cables and adapters so I'm assuming that's one of those you had :)

I ended up buying another cable (KabelDirekt) just to be absolutely sure and there was no change. However i've also recieved this statement from iiyama through the third party UK repair business they contract and i've be working with:

Please Inform customer that we tested this issue.
The lines are completely normal and caused by VA panel type and internal signal distribution.
Those lines are not visible from standard work distance of 40-60cm.

I am a bit surprised because i'd never come across this issue when researching VA panels. I'm sat at 60cm and i can notice it.

I will admit it is a minor annoyance seemingly only visible on static images, when i'm doing any gaming or focusing on work (where the background is usually white) it isn't noticeable and i've started to adjust to it already anyway. I think it is natural to focus on the issues when you spend a lot of money on something new that is supposed to be amazing, now i just use it and forget about these things. Besides the fact this whole saga has taken me beyond any return window perhaps in time my eyes will get a bit more dodgy too ha.

All i know is next time i buy a monitor i'll be going back to IPS.

Back
Top Bottom