Ikea Markus --> New chair £300 budget

Soldato
Hello all,

So Ive had my Ikea Markus for I think 9 or 10 years now, and the foam padding has pretty much worn out. Results in getting a dead arse if you sit for too long.

So its finally time to find an upgrade. I have a budget of £300 and have been looking at some of the noblechairs.
They look great, however everyone seems to mention how hard they are and how they dont really soften up. Is this really the case? If so I can see myself having the same issues as I do now?

I also tend to sit a lot of the time with the chair fully tilted back, with feet up on the desk on a cushion(often even sleeping like this!), so proper ergonomics arent something I am too worried about I guess. I just want comfort.

Is it worth looking at executive style chairs instead?

I went to go and have a look in town if I could find any to sit on, and the only place was pc world with 1 crappy chair.

Current chairs im looking at:

Noblechairs range
Humanscale freedom refurbed off ebay
Corsair T1 race chair
Or should I just get a cheap ultra padded executive style instead?

Im 5.11 and about 85kg so not overly tall or heavy

Cheers for any suggestions.

Soldato
Ikea have their new JÄRVFJÄLLET chair which looks to build upon the Markus in every way. There is only a handful of youtube videos and I cannot really find any reviews of it though, so I am assuming no one has actually purchased one...

I'm in a similar boat having owned a Markus for ten years or so now too with the "Leather" fading and the gas mechanism sinking basically every time I sit on it. Equally torn between a Noblechair or Herman Miller Aeron.

Associate
I've tried both the Markus and JÄRVFJÄLLET, and found the Markus to be much more comfortable (particularly for lumbar and head support).

The Humanscale Freedom can be very comfortable, and there are plenty available second-hand. If you did intend to lean back (or even fall asleep in one) definitely go for the headrest version. JL have a few stores where you can try them out beforehand.

But if you want a warranty the Noblechairs option could also be good - they seem to be the best of the 'racing' chairs around and recline back really far.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If the Markus lasted 10 years and you found it comfortable etc, why spend 3 times as much? Would another Markus not be the best option?
I suppose its probably been due replacing a few years I just never got round to it and often sit on a cushion. They seem to be £150 so not 3 times cheaper?

Ikea have their new JÄRVFJÄLLET chair which looks to build upon the Markus in every way. There is only a handful of youtube videos and I cannot really find any reviews of it though, so I am assuming no one has actually purchased one...

I'm in a similar boat having owned a Markus for ten years or so now too with the "Leather" fading and the gas mechanism sinking basically every time I sit on it. Equally torn between a Noblechair or Herman Miller Aeron.
Yeah the strut is always sunk and constantly having to lift it back up. I was trying to get to Ikea last month for some other furniture but ended up ordering online. The closest ones I think are the same distance as John Lewis.

Try a big John Lewis. They have a lot of high end chars you can sit in to see what you like before you spend a lot of money on something unseen.

Yeah John Lewis was the only place I could think of but the nearest one is 1hr20 away.

I've tried both the Markus and JÄRVFJÄLLET, and found the Markus to be much more comfortable (particularly for lumbar and head support).

The Humanscale Freedom can be very comfortable, and there are plenty available second-hand. If you did intend to lean back (or even fall asleep in one) definitely go for the headrest version. JL have a few stores where you can try them out beforehand.

But if you want a warranty the Noblechairs option could also be good - they seem to be the best of the 'racing' chairs around and recline back really far.
My mate has a freedom and seems to like it. Ive been meaning to go and have a sit but not had the time to get over.

Ive actually just had a Noblechairs Icon delivered but been told it has to stay in the box until my birthday Tuesday... Will get it up and take some pictures and thoughts then. I read a few comments that it should be more comfortable than the epic or the hero so we shall see.

Thank you all.

Soldato
I suppose its probably been due replacing a few years I just never got round to it and often sit on a cushion. They seem to be £150 so not 3 times cheaper?

I bought a Markus a few months ago for just over £100. They look to only sell the gloss black one now which is £150. They had a couple of different finishes when I was looking and the gloss was the most expensive. Maybe they're changing models or replacing it with a different chair as above?

They have a 10 year warranty, so you could have claimed if it was iffy a couple of years ago.

I'm just not convinced the racing type chairs are going to be any more durable. If you go for a higher end office chair maybe, as they're made for constant heavy use.

Soldato
If you want comfort rather than posture, then you should get a Staples Kashmir. The most comfortable office chair ever. And cheap, relatively speaking.

Soldato
OP
I bought a Markus a few months ago for just over £100. They look to only sell the gloss black one now which is £150. They had a couple of different finishes when I was looking and the gloss was the most expensive. Maybe they're changing models or replacing it with a different chair as above?

They have a 10 year warranty, so you could have claimed if it was iffy a couple of years ago.

I'm just not convinced the racing type chairs are going to be any more durable. If you go for a higher end office chair maybe, as they're made for constant heavy use.

My mate had a fabric one and it was pretty horrible it only lasted him a year. Also im not sure if mine even had the 10 year warranty at the time and I lost the receipt pretty quick.

Oh well we shall see how this new Icon goes. If its crap itl be up for sale.

Associate
Yeah John Lewis was the only place I could think of but the nearest one is 1hr20 away.

It isn't ideal, but even though it is far away, I would suggest going to try out the seats first because everyone is a bit different. It is the only way to really get an idea if it is going to be right for you. Hopefully your Icon is alright.

Soldato
OP
So I got the Icon built up last night and I must say I am actually way more impressed than I thought it would be.

Feels supportive yet comfortable. I thought the pictures of the cushions that came with it looked like a waste of time but they are excellent and do actually help.

Nice to have the extra adjustments for the back also.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone after a good evening sat in it.

1PzoUua.jpg
T6wLe9c

Associate
So I got the Icon built up last night and I must say I am actually way more impressed than I thought it would be.

Feels supportive yet comfortable. I thought the pictures of the cushions that came with it looked like a waste of time but they are excellent and do actually help.

1PzoUua.jpg
T6wLe9c

Ah great! Glad you're enjoying it. Looking pretty cool with the black and red!

Associate
I'm also interested in a new chair, how do people find the chairs with a leather back? Doesn't that get a bit warm over the summer months? The Markus & the JÄRVFJÄLLET look quite good so I think I will go and test those out before I decide.

Has anyone tried the John Lewis & Partners Isaac Ergonomic Office Chair at all?

Soldato

1PzoUua.jpg
T6wLe9c

It's easy to sit in a new chair and have a positive opinion on how the quality and comfort it is, more so when you're used to and old piece of rubbish. The real tell comes after a few years.

Back
Top Bottom