1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

illegal immigration

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by gc123, 18 Mar 2021.

1. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

Does Boris even believe it himself, or is he just spouting what he thinks the faithful want to hear? When in doubt, blame the French.

2. Murphy

Sgarrista

It's not that men are more likely to flee their country or seek refuge. It's probably more your latter points about men being more likely to survive in adverse conditions and just like us most people wouldn't choose to send their wives or daughters on a dangerous trip as women have a higher chance of dying in adverse conditions.

3. 200sols

Sgarrista

The French don't want them anymore than we do, once they set sail for the land of milk and honey the French are happy.

They needed a credible leader but TBH Boris following seems to be like a cult, he can do no wrong in their eyes.

4. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

And so its unravelled this morning, no surprise, seems Boris put into words what had already been rejected to try to play politics.
    I guess the weak of thinking will be cheering Boris from the sidelines whilst he probably mocks them behind closed doors

If we want to put people off the UK we should arrange coach tours and a night out, trip round some of the northern towns / cities, hellholes like Leeds and Rotherham etc then a night out with a few of our regular posters from this thread and I am pretty sure that appeal would be reduced significantly.

5. Hagar

Capodecina

Emanuelle is also playing to the masses. French fishers (Guardian terminology :rolleyes:) are blocking the tunnel and a few ports. Elections are looming, France has lost the odd sub or two. The EU is not playing ball with demands to punish Britain. Quelle dommage or in English 'what a pity, never mind'.

6. Zatoichi.uK

Mobster

I don't know about that. I think a huge portion of Cons voters are extremely unhappy with things as they are. Where has he even been during this whole disaster? It's literally taken deaths to get him to pay attention.

7. tlrBeta

Wise Guy

Finally, some see's this all as just politics, instead of just pointing the finger at our government saying how bad and terrible they are (like the Government performance thread)

8. Hagar

Capodecina

If during the stormy weeks to come, more people are lost due to criminality, which I seriously hope not. It will be the country of origin who allow armed criminal gangs to control their countryside who will accrue most of the blame. British charities such as RNLI will set out in all weather's to save lives at sea. I do not see that from across the channel.

9. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Macron is no better he's playing politics with migrants pointing his nose in the air and throwing his toys out of the pram like the jumped up popinjay he is, he literally thinks hes the reincarnation of Napoleon.

10. Murphy

Sgarrista

Personally i don't care if other countries politicians play politics, if they don't want to take issues seriously that's their peoples concern. It's more concerning when our own politicians play politics as that effects me and my country, i don't want my politicians 'playing' at anything, i want them to take issues seriously and do something to address those issues, not tit about like it's all a game.
    That's a bit like saying the police are to blame for allowing criminals to walk down the street when the contents of your house get stolen because you've left all the doors and windows open or to go back to an earlier analogy, that the ambulance service is to blame because they didn't stop people crossing a busy road rather than whoever's responsible for putting in a safe place to cross,

Last edited: 26 Nov 2021
  11. Slam62

Sgarrista

Exactly

12. tlrBeta

Wise Guy

I meant to say *someone else see's it as just politics :)

I fully agree, it's horrible and the desperation of people thinking they "must do it", I can't imagine it.

What I believe Hagar is trying to highlight is that we are doing what we can. Yes criminals are the end point to blame, but France (and other countries) also need to be doing what prevention they can.

13. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

I posted a link a while back that showed that the UK was the 14th destination for immigrants in Europe apart from those who have family here already. In other words thr majority only come here when other countries do not let them stay.

14. Freakbro

Capodecina

So much for we need to leave the EU to be able to control our borders eh, when the soundbite of the day now is no country can solve this problem alone and it requires co-operation....lolBrexit.

Even more ironic that the migrants are saying the UK is even more an attractive destination now that we left the Dublin accord.

15. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

What a load of tosh. Do the French(or any other police force) allow murders? They still happen. It that the police's fault? Which country has no gangs/mafia? Gangs exist despite the best efforts of police forces around the world.

16. Murphy

Sgarrista

If we were I'd be in agreement, but we're not. Doing all we can IMO would be having some means of applying for asylum other than having to turn to criminals to get you across the channel in a boat, heck even being able to apply for asylum at a UK embassy would be a start but we don't even allow that. The only way someone can apply is to physically get your feet on UK soil.

17. a1ex2001

Capodecina

The French have even offered to work with us to set up joint centres in France so people can apply for asylum in the UK or France without risking the channel crossing, but no our government want to post the ships and ship anyone who survives off to an island in the middle of the Atlantic. Sadly our government is more focussed on pointless tough sounding soundbites that appeal to their base than on actually doing something to solve the problem, case in point our PM publishing a letter to the French president (That he already knew would be rejected) on Twitter.....

18. StriderX

Caporegime

I have thoroughly enjoyed how full of holes this idea that Brexit meant we had control over our borders and yet the very same press that was whining for decades about the EU (of which the PM is once one of the most vociferous of the lot) continue to essentially whine about how we have no control over them.

What is it about Tory voters (since that's the current government) that they can accept promises made to them being broken without some sort of response? Does no one see anything wrong with a government that never actually delivers on their word, the dark path that this sets us upon when people decide they've had enough?

Last edited: 26 Nov 2021
  19. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Because better than Corbyn ..... that seems to be the Boris apologists line for pretty much every indefensible action he takes

20. potatolord

Wise Guy

Pretty sure that Starmer follows the same line...

To be fair, generally it's hard to argue with that.