illegal to drive with broken speedo?

Soldato
Yes. Get it fixed.

e; You should fail your MOT and therefore the vehicle would not be insurable. As it would fail the MOT it's not roadworthy due to all cars legally having to have a speedo with something like 20% accuracy or something like that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes. Get it fixed.

e; You should fail your MOT and therefore the vehicle would not be insurable. As it would fail the MOT it's not roadworthy due to all cars legally having to have a speedo with something like 20% accuracy or something like that.

Thing is you could pass an MOT and your car could have an issue that would make it fail the next day.

However, yes you should get it fixed, but it's up to you if you feel it's safe to drive your car as it is.

Soldato
what you gonna do if a pc decides to drive it a few yards up the road?:p

mot man will test for a speedo either on a rolling road,that he tests for brakes with or when he drives it into the garage

Why would they ever do that?

No you should t really drive it like that, yes its pretty bloody unlikely anyone would find out and even if you did get stopped for speeding you're hardly likely to tell them the thing was broken, and they will not be remotely interested in checking.

Soldato
They don't, end.

Nobody is ever going to find out unless PC plod drives the car in which case you have better things to concern yourself with. Fix it of course, but don't waste energy worrying about it. Not sure what is worse, this or worrying if your already 4wd 3 series needs winter tyres to cope with the savage UK winter.

One

One

Soldato
Just drive it until you can afford/find time to fix it. You've got a sat nav so that will be fine. Even without traffic tends to set the pace below the limit anyway.

Soldato
I've driven around for quite a while (months) with a speedo reading significantly under what it should, would show about 40 when doing 70 etc. I got it fixed in the end but didn't really worry about it while it was happening, i just learnt what revs in what gear equalled what speed.

Soldato
It is not a legal requirement for a car to have a speedo. It is your responsibility to ensure you do not break the speed limit. It doesn't matter how you do this.

Speedos are not checked during an MOT test.

Sorry but as of 20th March 2013 I think they are -

Speedometer
The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Andi.

Back
Top Bottom